4 tickets - how to fight it? | GTAMotorcycle.com

4 tickets - how to fight it?

toekneekey

I got 4 tickets on the same night last year, and I have a court date next week but need some advice so I don't look like a total idiot not knowing what my defence is. The tickets are for muffler, smoke, noise and headlights.

For the headlight ticket: there was a single fuse connecting both of my headlights and that burnt out while I was driving my friends home from a bar. I had no other options but to ignore it and try to fix it the next day. Cops gave me a ticket anyways... no warning

Improper muffler ticket, excessive noise and unreasonable smoke: I admit my muffler is too loud and I had no idea how loud it was until I had bought the car. So yeah I ended up getting the 3 tickets, but for my defence can I say I bought the car just one month prior to getting the tickets and had no time/funds to fix the car. I also had the previous owner do the safety and e-mission test and it passed..

Yeah so with these 4 tickets, it'll affect my insurance so that's why im fighting it. I had to get insurance one week early just so it doesnt show on my drivers abstract for my motorcycle. Any suggestion to fighting the tickets will help ! Thanksss

Well at least you had the sense to post this a week in advance rather than the night before ;).

The headlight ticket you might be able to get dropped if you can show you had it fixed.

Improper muffler ticket, excessive noise and unreasonable smoke: I admit my muffler is too loud and I had no idea how loud it was until I had bought the car.

Is as in "is still on the car"? You might be SOL, unless like the headlight you can prove you fixed it. Maybe you'll get lucky and the cop won't show up.

, but for my defence can I say I bought the car just one month prior to getting the tickets and had no time/funds to fix the car.

Short answer..... No, you cannot use this as a defence.

get them fixed and they will most likely drop them all. make sure you bring proof of them being fixed.

Non-moving violations effect insurance rates? Since when?

Non-moving violations effect insurance rates? Since when?

Its 4 minor tickets under HTA which is still a moving violation, so yes it will affect my insurance.

get them fixed and they will most likely drop them all. make sure you bring proof of them being fixed.

Not possible, since I don't have the money or the time to go fix the car. Headlights are fixed, but to change my whole exhaust will cost at least 1000.

No, but he might be able to use the fact that it passed an inspection and (presumably) an emissions test as either defence, or a mitigating factor.

Awesome thanks, I also have a idea of how to fight the unnecessary noise ticket as well, since I remember the officer pulling behind me at a left turn lane and he turned his lights on as soon as I was making the left turn which was around 2000 RPM going at about 10 - 15 KM/H which isn't even that loud.

Any time I hear of a cop giving multiple tickets it's been when he is P'd off at someone. Any contributing factors?

Any time I hear of a cop giving multiple tickets it's been when he is P'd off at someone. Any contributing factors?

LOL yeah he definitely sounded ****** when he pulled me over. But I don't think I did anything to piss him off, I even told him to have a good night after he gave me the tickets.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL yeah he definitely sounded piss-ed when he pulled me over. But I don't think I did anything to piss him off, I even told him to have a good night after he gave me the tickets.

He probably saw the empty Timmies box on the car seat.

Just get everything fixed with receipts, and the charges will most likely be dropped. Dunno what bike you got, but stock mufflers can found cheap on kijiji/craigslist.

Just came back from court, plead guilty and they dropped 3/4 of my tickets. So I only had to pay $110. Should I just have fought it? They told me the judge was a real ashole with vehicle modification.

Did the cop show up to court, though?

Your situation might have been different, but...

When I went to court to fight a ticket for parking in a fire route ($250 fine), the first thing they did (after all the waiting they make you do) was to give everybody the chance to "plead guilty" with a reduced fine. After they process everybody, they give the remaining few who were left one last chance to plead guilty. The manner in which they do this give you a feeling like "don't be a dumbass, you're gonna regret it if you don't plead guilty...".

Then they go through the few "ticket lawyers". It was so ridiculous. All of the defense "attorneys" were pals with the prosecutor and neither side made an attempt to do anything more than settle. It's as if they had an unspoken code to not try.

Anyway, after that's all done, there were only a couple of us left. By this time, I've been sitting in the court room for at least an hour. They end up letting the 3 or so of us go since our cops (parking enforcement) didn't show up. I had all my evidence ready and everything.

Anyway, it was a joke.

/end rant

Just get everything fixed with receipts, and the charges will most likely be dropped. Dunno what bike you got, but stock mufflers can found cheap on kijiji/craigslist.

I highlighted the part you missed. :D

I admit my muffler is too loud and I had no idea how loud it was until I had bought the car. So yeah I ended up getting the 3 tickets, but for my defence can I say I bought the car just one month prior to getting the tickets and had no time/funds to fix the car. I also had the previous owner do the safety and e-mission test and it passed..

Did the cop show up to court, though?

Your situation might have been different, but...

When I went to court to fight a ticket for parking in a fire route ($250 fine), the first thing they did (after all the waiting they make you do) was to give everybody the chance to "plead guilty" with a reduced fine. After they process everybody, they give the remaining few who were left one last chance to plead guilty. The manner in which they do this give you a feeling like "don't be a dumbass, you're gonna regret it if you don't plead guilty...".

Then they go through the few "ticket lawyers". It was so ridiculous. All of the defense "attorneys" were pals with the prosecutor and neither side made an attempt to do anything more than settle. It's as if they had an unspoken code to not try.

Anyway, after that's all done, there were only a couple of us left. By this time, I've been sitting in the court room for at least an hour. They end up letting the 3 or so of us go since our cops (parking enforcement) didn't show up. I had all my evidence ready and everything.

Anyway, it was a joke.

/end rant

Yeah I think the cop did show up, not really sure though. Some guy took me out of the court room and just told me to plead guilty because he knew the judge would screw me over. He wasn't in uniform so I wasn't quite sure if he was the cop that gave me the ticket.

Back
Top Bottom