2020 BMW S1000RR - 44 HP MIA | GTAMotorcycle.com

2020 BMW S1000RR - 44 HP MIA

-Maverick-

This is kind of a fascinating story...BMW had to wind the new S1000RR back 44 HP in the first three gears to meet 97 decibels that Uncle Sam requires. 44 HP! I was wondering why the American reviewers were scratching their heads at this new bike...which incidentally is beautiful.

Last edited:
Every one of the litre-class bikes is restricted, to the extent that there is hardly any point to paying attention to dyno numbers or performance figures in stock form. Can't watch the videos now but the 2nd one is obviously from Barber ... Will watch later ...

With the EURO5 emission control, I'm surprised they make more power in the stock form than before.

I heard the new 2020 Yamaha R1 and R1M have 4 catalytic converters. They re-engineered the engine but it makes the same power because of emission stuff on the bike.

I wonder how much power all the 1000cc class bikes make when they retune them.

What do you mean?
Some sort of Gentlemen's agreement between them?
Since around the time of the original Busa there has been a gentlemens agreement on top speed (don't go much faster than 300 and if you do, don't bother updating the speedo or specs to show that). Many modern vehicles (both cars and bikes) are power limited in lower gears to control wheel spin and/or save the clutch.

It will be interesting to see if the found 44 hp actually matters in real acceleration or lap times. It might as it looks like the bike is around 60 mph at 7500 rpm in 2nd gear so it can probably get 100 hp down without lighting it up. The original falling torque curve would be pretty ugly to ride, you expect a flat curve across most of the rev range. I do find it quite funny that the power was cut to meet a sound limit and they are running a coffee can for a muffler. I'm surprised BMW couldn't include a track mode where it is uncorked if this was just a sound problem.

A lot of guys are selling their new S1000RR's including this guy. BMW really messed up here by not letting their customers in North America know just how plugged up the bike actually is. 44 HP in the lower gears would make it feel like a 600...which is exactly what the North American owners are reporting. They should have offered a power up plug which let's the customer know that the bike is corked.

This guy sold his. If wonder if he would have sold it after feeling it unleashed?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Losing 44hp won't make it feel like a 600 lol.
Look at the dyno line...it's exactly what it will feel like. Flat...nothing...then pull like a mofo up high in the higher gears. Which explains Motorcycle.com's WTF? review "there's nothing, then all of a sudden an unleashed poweband..."

6:01

Michael Neeves (MCN) does a great job reviewing the European model, which is a 2019 (2020 in the US and here). It doesn't have the 44 HP MIA map. Looks like BMW are a bit disorganized trying to get it to market. Leaky fork seals from BMW is not a good sign and leaving customers hanging with no stock. Might be better to wait until the problems are ironed out with this new iteration. I really like it...question is...is it worth $10,000 more than the new GSX-R 1000?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's tragic, the best CBR600RR stock is still the 2007, until they really started choking them off. Without a few thousand in mods and a tune the new bikes feel....really anemic stock. It's a shame.

Back
Top Bottom