2001 Ninja ZZR 250 starter motor removal ?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

2001 Ninja ZZR 250 starter motor removal ??

GVH

OK trying to remove the starter motor out of a 2001 ZZR 250 ninja. I removed all body work, Gas tank. I have removed the 2 bolt and the wire. I have tapped it back to the point I can see the black rubber oring. It will move a little but it doesn't go up as it will need to. It looks like I need to move it 2-5 mm back but it is either tight or I'm out of room ?? Anybody done one ? Also I'm week and should stop buying crappy old it used to run bikes.

The $200 bike

bX2Z2rM.gif

All the online tutorials don't require this but I did read about it. Hoping to avoid removing the stator cover.

There's an idler gear behind the generator.
You're going to have to remove the left side engine cover and likely the rotor.

There's an idler gear behind the generator.
You're going to have to remove the left side engine cover and likely the rotor.

I may need to look at the starter clutch anyway. Just my shed is so bloody hot. Need to dig up a fan.

Reactions: TK4
Well you can get the starter loose and free without taking the cover off. What you can’t do is remove it without taking the carbs off or possibly removing the cam chain tensioner.

This didn’t solve or help my initial reason to do all this. The bikes not cranking one bit. Locked solid. I new the stater was getting juice but not moving. Last owner thought the starter clutch might have drastically failed causing the problem. After much google searching leaky petcock and dirty cabs can causing a fluid lock is not uncommon on these bikes. Unfortunately busted cam chains cause similar symptoms. I’m now going to try and use my scope to look down the spark plug hoses. Earlier I pulled the plugs for a look see. Right plug black stinks of gas. Left shiny happy clean looking.

I have seen some cheap $450 asking zzr with good motors but wrecked.

Spark plugs out?

With the end cover off, put a socket on the end of the crankshaft and see if it will spin by hand with a ratchet. It should, with only minor resistance from the valve springs. Don't need to remove the starter motor. If it doesn't spin by hand with a ratchet, then it's time to dig further.

Seized starter clutch won't lock it solid, you can still back-drive the starter motor through it, and it will still crank, it just won't disengage the starter (which means it won't run properly - it will try to start, but it won't be able to get up to speed).

That’s what was described to me buy the seller. He played with it and eventually starter motor stopped trying to spin. When I looked at it I could put it in first gear and force it along but lots of force required.

If it is the same as the 500, they have a bad habit of breaking the weld on the drive gear on the back of the rotor, jamming everything.

... you have to remove that cover to get the starter back on anyway.

I believe the motors done. When I pulled the plugs the right had a slightly bent tip. Thought it was my bad not easy getting tools in it and extension slipped off. After looking closer with the scope camera that side is VERY close to the top and shiny gashes ?? from contact?? I have blurry pics from my scope camera but pc and imgur being a pain. Popped the valve cover up an inch or two this morning. I can move the cam chain off the sprocket with my fingers. More than a few people on the forum remove the tensioner to get the starter out. Most don’t realize what the part is and pop goes the motor on next start up

200$ Electric motorcycle conversion candidate.
... sell the fuel tank for 200 you won't need it.

You would be one amongst thousands it would seem, ninjette is a popular platform for electric because it handles nice, can be made to carry a motor and fuels weight worth of batterie pretty easy for ~30 mile range.
Sadly, even if you fixed it all up it will still be a nice cheap little bike worth not a lot of coin.

Sold and delivered for $225. $25 is not worth the drive across TO and back even mid day but need the room in the shed. He really thinks it is any easy fix. My add said Bad motor, Leaking forks and caliper.

Back
Top Bottom