183 in a 70. Another big ticket in Markham. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

183 in a 70. Another big ticket in Markham.

Not exactly accurate, I had MANY people bikes, trucks, cars all run from me, and that was late 70's onward. Running for the cops is NOT a new phenomenon, since the enactment of S172...lol. People simply used to take responsibility when they messed up. Back in those days an officer "could" simply "take" your drivers licence and turn it over to the MTO for a "review". I only did it twice, for people doing really stupid crap. Including driving a pick up doing in excess of 130 KM/h in a 50 with 6 people in the truck bed.

Never said it was a new phenomenon.

Ever since that law was introduced, people that I know usually landed in one of two groups:
1. Always keep it under 50km/h over the speed limit and pull over when lit up.
2. Have a relatively hidden license plate, and run if lit up.

I fall under (1) and think excessive speeding in urban/suburban areas is stupid given pedestrians/cross-traffic.

That being said, if flow of traffic on a highway and is going ~130km/h and someone hit 150km/h to pass, is it really endangering the public? I wouldn't blame the person for wanting to run versus being $15k out of pocket which is potentially life changing money for some.

Same goes for (safely) filtering while cops have been known to throw a careless driving or stunting charge...

Last edited:
Rookies
Many years ago a member on here posted his abstract, 265 in a 100 hahahah

I got a 274 in a 70 many years ago. I was in a car.
At the time.. it was the 2nd highest speeding charge in Ontario. The 1st and 3rd were the same guy.
I didn't exactly stop... I broke the car.

Never said it was a new phenomenon.

Ever since that law was introduced, people that I know usually landed in one of two groups:
1. Always keep it under 50km/h over the speed limit and pull over when lit up.
2. Have a relatively hidden license plate, and run if lit up.

I fall under (1) and think excessive speeding in urban/suburban areas is stupid given pedestrians/cross-traffic.

That being said, if flow of traffic on a highway and is going ~130km/h and someone hit 150km/h to pass, is it really endangering the public? I wouldn't blame the person for wanting to run versus being $15k out of pocket which is potentially life changing money for some.

Same goes for (safely) filtering while cops have been known to throw a careless driving or stunting charge...
Probably half the time I go to visit my friend in Mt Forest everyone is doing 120 on the 80 kph highway up to Orangeville and same on the one going towards Arthur from there. Same when I go to Peterborough... everyone doing 150-160 on the 80-90 kph highway. Makes the law seem a bit pointless when everyone is breaking it. And yeah, if traffic is actually moving on the 401 it's usually at 130ish.

Probably half the time I go to visit my friend in Mt Forest everyone is doing 120 on the 80 kph highway up to Orangeville and same on the one going towards Arthur from there. Same when I go to Peterborough... everyone doing 150-160 on the 80-90 kph highway. Makes the law seem a bit pointless when everyone is breaking it. And yeah, if traffic is actually moving on the 401 it's usually at 130ish.
Yep, kind of like the new 404 extension up to Keswick. People rarely do less than 130, But it seems most people are nicer up here and will move over if you come up behind them. Typical speed there mornings and night is 140+

Back
Top Bottom