Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 41 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Gave a pass to the mirror project for now - work with extenders and maybe wide angle stick on.
No riding for a bit.
Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at Apr, 20    2022    4.25.28 AM.jpg the last two days of flood.
Hooked on Itchy Boots Season 6
Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at Apr, 20    2022    4.16.47 AM.jpg
Bending my head a bit as I'm completely riding on the left now and she is on the right,o_O

Last edited:
I miss the MacDoc riding apparel reviews! I’m looking for a wind/waterproof Gore-based mid layer to wear underneath my mesh jackets. Any recommendations @MacDoc?

Sent from my iPad using GTAMotorcycle.com

Cool - spent 5 winters in S Africa in the Western Cape which is gorgeous but never had a motorcycle to tour around a fair bit by car. It's gorgeous and really enjoyed my time there.
Now I get to see the eastern part of the country.

Noraly was out in the boonies with baboons and game parks and had to turn back ....very remote.
She's chatting and munching a lunch under a tree and I'm thinking....that looks very much like leopard country.:unsure:
In South Africa, leopards are found throughout the country except for the greater Karoo basin. They are found in the Western Cape, KwaZulu-Natal, Northern Cape, North West, Limpopo, Gauteng, Mpumalanga and the Eastern Cape.
of course she is in Limpopo...

No solutions for leopard predation in Limpopo - Farmer's Weekly

https://www.farmersweekly.co.za › News › South Africa

9 Mar 2022 — Farmers in Limpopo are experiencing a high level of livestock predation by leopards, but solving the problem is proving difficult. Photo: Africa ...

Babe in paradise. Since I didn't get to the Eastern half it's nice to see from a riders view the backroads and scenery. Where she is currently staying, hippos wander by, the most dangerous animal in Africa....at least she's getting some coaching on the risks.

It's hard to grasp how gorgeous South Africa is.
This artists does a good job tho ...I have a couple of her pieces.
en-gbltrireview2  /templates/ireview2/grids.php?rwd=1&mw=960&sf=1&ps=0&psw=210&pst=show&pss=showBelow&ssw=230&sst=showBelow&sss=showBelow  /> African Conservation Photodestinations Purchase African Conservation  Photography Stock ...

she is slightly crazy tho - that Sani Pass road should be called Insanity Pass.
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at Apr, 21    2022    10.51.15 AM.jpg

Attachments

• 1650430914724.jpeg
    1650430914724.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Nice way to spend a wet afternoon. Now Noraly is on the Garden Route and that's familiar turf. Lifetime event for me was walking out the apartment on the ocean at Hermanus and seeing Comet McNaught. Not my photo but that's exactly what we were treated to for 3 nights. Wonder if she visits Hermanus. Guess we will see. One of my fav places anywhere.
1650515864062.png
Hah....Ronnie's Sex shop on the next episode.....much fun. I think out of biz now.
Very popular with local riders.
1650517607509.png

It's not what you think....kinda fun.

Last edited:
Can't ride and can't even watch Itchy Boots....rain is interfering with the internet .... :(

Internet back and rain easing. Damn ....:eek: The RevIt Sand 4 gear they sent her is really nice designed for heat. Vents all over including down the front. It gets as high as 55C where she is riding but not that time of year...still hard work in full sun and no one for many kms
I'm sure she's glad she has an emergency beacon.
Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at Apr, 22    2022    1.29.51 PM.jpg
She's on the non-tourist side of the Fish River Canyon which I did not know was second only to the Grand Canyon for size and the road in and out was very damaged by floods.
What an enjoyable way to spend a very wet afternoon.
Chrome does a better job on Youtube feeds including settings for 4k. FWIW

Million+ viewers ...wonder how many girls she has inspired to get a bike and certainly shows the capability of a small displacement ride. I've learned that happily.

Last edited:
She's into Nambia which is all new for me other than the farmer whose place I stayed at every year always went to shoot game for the larder. Biltong. The Namib is gorgeous at golden hour with that drone up.

Last edited:
This rain is getting old. Such a constrast to Botswana. Noraly having adventures and seeing lots of wildlife.
Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at Apr, 25    2022    10.19.27 AM.jpg
Damn Zimbabwe on her own. Victoria falls and warhogs crossing the path. Her enthusiasm is so contagious.Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at Apr, 25    2022    11.55.52 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Finally the sun is out tho showers predicted on and off all week which is not a real barrier to riding. (y)
Partner tending her mum for a week or more and will have time to ride. Today is shopping this morning but time this aft.
Sun feels nice after a long absence.

Finished Itchy Boots Season 5 - girl is more indestructable than her bike which she managed to bust the rear subchassis off entirely and finished the Kalahari a bit shorter. She is reallllly good in sand. Impressive riding and the only girl involved.
Her Honda 250 Rally has been retired to a museum in S Africa. Impressed with both bike and rider.
Going back to Season 3 now which is Denmark and Iceland riding her CB500x...Iceland is familar to me but not in summer time. We went for a couple weeks in January and a couple days on a North Atlantic cruise stop which covered off some of the spots she is hitting,
Good spot for GTA riders to rent a bike and enjoy the spectacular scenery.

Might get out this afternoon ...partner away for 11 days mostly ( back on occasion )

Cool she's going to Isafjiordur where we stayed in the winter. Will be nice to see it in summer.

Last edited:
Itchy Boots Season 3 Norway and Sweden triggered lots of fond pre Covid memories...how times were different then.

She’s riding the same bike I was in 2019, CB500x and coming back from Jasper I took the northern TransCanada 3900 km - managed that in 5 days with 700-800 km a day. Easy on a big tourer - not so much on the 500 tho it was crazy stable at speed.

June 2019 west Coast by motorcycle

Had a good time and visited a close friend from Australia in Vancouver - she’s back here now. Lived with us her for a few years then went to Canada on a work visa.

I flew the bike to Calgary which worked out well, second time I flew out then rode back ….first time in 2015 with Kenz.

Noraly was shattered ????!!! with 5-700 days on pavement…..she’s half my age. !!!!
I must admit tho I was dumbfounded when she did a 700 km leg of the Kalahari Rally on a 250 cc dual sport Honda and mostly in sand. ( mind you she broke the bike doing it (.

I was a very tired rider at the end of that BC trip and it was down to 5C some mornings but I had my 3 season Gortex jacket and gloves plus heated liners on at least and longer daylight hours.
Not sure how she managed with that stock windscreen and her summer gear…at least I had the Madstad screen.

First brand new bike I’d ever owned. Lucky I did it when I did and even managed to ride the Blue Ridge with Eamonn..my riding buddy here, in July. We both count it dumb luck given what was coming.
He’s a much better rider than I am …- does the OCR outback ride every year ( cancelled last year) we bought a Vstrom 650 for him to ride and had fun.
eamonn trip

Smithsonian Aerospace museum in Washington should be on every riders bucket list.
eamonn trip

Jude and I really enjoyed it….there two …the one at Dulles Airport plus the downtown one. Incredible displays and at the Airport version they flew every single aircraft in - even the shuttle on the back of a 747.
they had my fav sailplane there too….many pleasurable hours in it..

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at Apr, 28    2022    7.10.55 AM.jpg

upclose under the shuttle gives you a very different perspective of that monster.
Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at Apr, 28    2022    7.01.25 AM.jpeg

Watching Itchy Boots is triggering all sorts of memories that sort of got sidelined with the last two years. So fortunate to get those two adventures in prior to covid. Get out there ....who knows what's coming.

Attachments

• 1651095244955.png
    1651095244955.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Yep. Photos here.

Felt good to out on the bike again. Easy ride to Daintree Village with a tailwind. Enjoying Voyage of the Beagle on Audible..
Wanted a protein pig out and almost got more than comfortable. 🐽 Thought about taking half home but steak sandwich always better fresh,
Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at Apr, 28    2022    11.19.39 AM.jpg
Spent an hour reading and munching with a big cuppa.
Of course it's raining a bit right now but just a shower and gone soon, likely get a few more on the way home.

Got tired of the mirror problem on the left I put together parts I had for extensions on both sides and managed a complete kludge that seems to work. Need some lock tight but good view behind me now.

1651120652029.png
recall I'm riding on the left so looking behind on that side - one downside of an overly large top case.
I'm not worried about clearance on that side as I filter with cars on my right.
1651120773490.png
Butt ugly comes to mind...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Working back in time now pre-covid with Noraly....she has her new Royal Enfield ( they donated it to her ) and starting out in Argentina. Interesting to see the changes in gear and she was excited when she hit 100,000 subscribers.....didn't think she'd ever hit 1 million :rolleyes:......
Gear is much less sophisticated - old RE ( new bike but old tech ) sounds like a tractor against the later Hondas. Have to really resist the temptation to get a dual sport...just need to renew my dirt skills and put up with slippy tires.

Well finally a couple of nice riding days. Low wind, mostly sun and under 30 temps.
Lots of gorgeous Ulysses flitting about up at Lake Barrine.
Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at May, 2    2022    1.12.38 PM.jpg
Dodged some showers ...mid 20s - stiff wind which will be nice heading home. Prefer to go via Kuranda.

Last edited:
Glorious forecast ...mid 20s and sun all day and I'm well rested tho it's chilly on the deck at 22 feels like 20. Broke out my Itchy Boots hoodie. Nice and cozy.
Not sure of where I'm going but hey, new mirror setup, topped up tires. √

Back
Top Bottom