Why Android is better than iPhone. | Page 76 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why Android is better than iPhone.

Not really surprised at this. Things were all moving towards HTML5, it just seemed to be where momentum was taking it.

Sucks thought that 750 people will be out of a job though, thats never good news.

[h=1]What is HTML5, and Why Should You Care?[/h]
html5.jpg

67Share
Part of being a good user and consumer is understanding how technology works, why we use it the way we do, and what that barrage of acronyms and PR jargon means. We're here to help you make sense of it all, and to give you a better appreciation of how those transistors, pixels, and antennas work together to deliver the conveniences of the modern world to your living room or office.

[h=3]What is HTML5?[/h]We're sure by now you've heard the term "HTML5" thrown around by the likes of Apple and Google. This is the next evolution of HTML, or Hyper Text Markup Language, which forms the backbone of almost every site on the Internet. HTML4, the last major iteration of the language, debuted in 1997 and has been subsequently poked and prodded so that it can handle the demands of the modern Web.

[h=3]Why is it such a big deal?[/h]HTML 4 has been tweaked, stretched and augmented beyond its initial scope to bring high levels of interactivity and multimedia to Web sites. Plugins like Flash, Silverlight and Java have added media integration to the Web, but not without some cost. In search of a "better user experience" and battery life, Apple has simply dropped support for some of these plugins entirely on mobile devices, leaving much of the media-heavy Internet inaccessible on iPads and iPhones. HTML5 adds many new features, and streamlines functionality in order to render these processor-intensive add-ons unnecessary for many common functions.

Assuming content providers sign on (and many are), this means you won't have to worry about installing yet another plugin just to listen to a song embedded in a blog or watch a video on YouTube. Similarly, this is a big deal for platforms that either don't support Flash (e.g., iPhone and iPad), or have well documented problems with it (e.g., Linux). It will be a particular boon to those smartphones for which supporting Flash has proven problematic.

[h=3]So what exactly can it do?[/h]HTML5's most touted features are media playback and offline storage. With HTML4, sites usually have to reach for Flash (or Silverlight) to simply show a video or play music. HTML5 lets sites directly embed media with the simpleHTML tags "<video>" and "<audio>" -- no plugins required. There are some issues currently being debated by the powers that be, and a particularly sticky one deals with file format. Some companies, especiallyMozilla, are pushing for the adoption of the open-source Ogg format, which is free for anyone to use. Others, like Apple, would prefer the higher quality H.264 format, which will eventually require browser makers to pay licensing fees to support it.

The other major addition that has garnered media attention is the ability to store offline data for Web apps. One of the major roadblocks in the march to replace traditional desktop apps has been that the Web-based ones are useless without an Internet connection. Google developed a stopgap solution with Gears, but that product has been retired as the company is shifting its focus to HTML5. This will mean being able to create files in Google Docs or draft e-mails when away from an Internet connection. These changes would be automatically synced the next time you're online.

HTML5 also adds new interactivity features, like drag-and-drop, that have already found their way into Gmail.

[h=3]How can I take advantage of it now?[/h]Most likely, you're already taking advantage of it without knowing. Safari (both mobile and desktop),Google Chrome and Firefox 3.6 all support at least some elements of HTML5. (Internet Explorer 8's support for HTML5 is very limited.) And many Google products already use some features of the next-generation protocol. If you're using Safari or Chrome, you can check out an experimental version of YouTube that makes use of HTML5's video features. Gmail andGoogle Reader have adopted parts of the standard, as well. Additionally, any site listed here as being "iPad ready" is making extensive use of HTML5, including The New York Times, CNN and CBS. The latter of which recently announced it would be phasing out Flash in favor of HTML5 for all video content. If you want to dig a little deeper, you can check out a series of experiments from Mozilla that show just what HTML5 can do, and these design roundups show off what it brings to the table for designers and typographers.

Flash won't be going away anytime soon(ooooppss, well mobile atleast), of course; it's still widely used and supported, and those Flash-based games that we love so much are impossible to recreate using HTML. But it's important to know that when you hear people tossing about the phrase "HTML5," it isn't just some meaningless buzz word; they're talking about the future of the Internet.

http://www.switched.com/2010/05/11/what-is-html5-and-why-should-you-care/

Iphones suck balls! The 4s doesnt even have there maps for canada even figured out! I would never own an iphone, its android full throttle!

This right here is the iphone killa!! Im on the waitlist and will be awesome when its in my hands! Can you say face recognition! Ice cream OS!! whhhaaaat!!!
http://www.google.com/nexus/

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/9/2...opment-work-on-silverlight-after-next-release

[h=1]Microsoft may halt development work on Silverlight plugin after next release[/h]
inShare​

It's not just Adobe that's altering its plans when it comes to browser plugins designed to play back rich web media — Microsoft's joining in too. New releases of Silverlight, Redmond's big competitor to Flash Player, are reportedly going to be abandoned after the launch of Silverlight 5, expected later this month. This information comes from multiple sources cited by the usually well-informed Mary Jo Foley. They don't know how long Microsoft will maintain support for Silverlight 5 or if there'll be any service packs, but it does seem like the company will be switching its operational focus to other areas and halting active development of Silverlight.
The move away from Silverlight isn't actually unexpected, as Microsoft had already indicated it considers HTML5 "the future" of the web and the introduction of WinRT in Windows 8 was already pushing in that direction, but it's still interesting to see both Flash and Silverlight being de-emphasized by their makers at about the same time. Neither of them is about to disappear, mind you, as Flash remains the primary way in which web video is consumed while Silverlight still has a role to play in Windows Phone app development. They do, however, look likely to play increasingly marginal roles in future software and web development. Some might call that a good thing.

Iphones suck balls! The 4s doesnt even have there maps for canada even figured out! I would never own an iphone, its android full throttle!

This right here is the iphone killa!! Im on the waitlist and will be awesome when its in my hands! Can you say face recognition! Ice cream OS!! whhhaaaat!!!

I have a Nexus S. I love it. Having a totally unlocked/unbranded phone out of the box is awesome.

I just want the people that read my comments, know that i don't hate Android in any way......its just that i never owned one and never have/had the real urge of fully owning one yet, and as i mentioned before...if i do, it would be an Android Tablet(just to play with).

I enjoy Apple products, cause they work really good together. The only way for you to know that, is if you have them all at once, then you will see.

[video=youtube;BwfYSR7HttA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwfYSR7HttA&feature=player_embedded[/video]

thats some rock solid security right there :lol:

1. steal phone
2. look up idiot owner on facebook
3. profit

Can't say Im surprised though... I wouldn't have doubted for one second that it could differentiate a photo from a real face.

It depends who you're talking to. Someone that never owned an iPhone might agree with that statement, but if you've used an iPhone, it's hard to believe you could.
I've had an iphone for about 3 years now. I have the 4S now. It's a great phone and does pretty much everything I need great 99% of the time.
I've also been using the Android Honeycomb OS on my Asus Transformer pad for about 3 months on a daily basis and even though it's a huge leap forward, it's still missing the speed, refinement and smoothness of the iOS.
For me, iOS is just better.

I would hardly say the iPhone 4S sucks balls. NOt sure what you mean for not having maps figured out in Canada? Or are you referring to Siri? Its a beta, and will eventually happen.

While facial recognition is cool, its hardly an iPhone killer. A security feature that does not improve how I use and work with my device is really of little value to me.

I will take my eco system over your face recognition as it just works for how I want to work. A 4 digit lock combo is good enough for me.

4S is incredible... I've had mine for a few weeks now and it's a beauty. Performance wise it beats the crap out of all the Android phones. It's incredibly fast and responsive. And true camera...oh my.

4S is incredible... I've had mine for a few weeks now and it's a beauty. Performance wise it beats the crap out of all the Android phones. It's incredibly fast and responsive. And true camera...oh my.

I think it has the fastest processor on the market at the moment.

It is slick and smooth, but I don't feel anything that noticeably better then my old "4"

The camera is very nice, and the video even nicer. Those are my favourite updates, as well as Siri.

Yeah siri kicks some good ass.

The processor isn't technically the fastest but the package as a whole is proven to be faster. As usual it's not just about numbers on a spec sheet.

Here is a direct comparison with a couple of the top phones.
http://www.phonedog.com/2011/11/11/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-vs-galaxy-nexus-vs-droid-razr-vs-iphone-4s-vs-htc-rezound-comparison-chart/

I
have never owned an iphone but have used them and realized its not for me. Im a gadget guy, and for me I like the fact I can root my Android and make it work faster, and better then its even suppose to. If you like that kinda geeky stuff then Apple is not for you as you are super restricted so that was the #1 turn off for me!
Also... although minor to some, wth cant Apple provide its customers with a scratch free glass like Gorilla glass or the corning glass. The money you spend for one that should come standard!
When Apple makes a mistake they dont like to man up and so ya we got hacked, or we f@cked up! They think there perfect and there clearly not! So for those plus others, I would never ever own an iphone.

Android is the future and is the real smartphone... not a music player with a radio( that barely works) in it to make calls! lol

Here is a direct comparison with a couple of the top phones.
http://www.phonedog.com/2011/11/11/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-vs-galaxy-nexus-vs-droid-razr-vs-iphone-4s-vs-htc-rezound-comparison-chart/

I
have never owned an iphone but have used them and realized its not for me. Im a gadget guy, and for me I like the fact I can root my Android and make it work faster, and better then its even suppose to. If you like that kinda geeky stuff then Apple is not for you as you are super restricted so that was the #1 turn off for me!
Also... although minor to some, wth cant Apple provide its customers with a scratch free glass like Gorilla glass or the corning glass. The money you spend for one that should come standard!
When Apple makes a mistake they dont like to man up and so ya we got hacked, or we f@cked up! They think there perfect and there clearly not! So for those plus others, I would never ever own an iphone.

Android is the future and is the real smartphone... not a music player with a radio( that barely works) in it to make calls! lol

The iPhone can be rooted giving you plenty of the "geeky" options you want. No, its not for everyone, just as Android is not for everyone. They both have value in the marketplace, and I would hate for one to just dominate and crush the other. That would be a very very bad thing for us the consumer.

I have never had an issue with the screen on my iPhones, from the 3G, 4 and 4S. Dropped a few times (3G, 4) face down on the road and drive way with no scratches to my screens. Regularly in my pocket with keys, swiss army knife, etc and still no scratches.

If you really think the iPhone is just an iPod with a phone in it, your not really aware of what the iPhone can do and does. I think it ultimately comes down to the techo system that works for you. My Apple tv, paired with apple computers, pc with itunes, iPhone, iPad. Playing wireless, syncing wirelessly, just works for me with no headaches. Again, not for everyone, some like the roku, or google tv, and thats great. Choice and option gives us the consumer choice and options.

Dont take it personally, its not a war, or a religion, its a device that should work for YOU and you alone.

Back
Top Bottom