Why Android is better than iPhone. | Page 75 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why Android is better than iPhone.

Its cool that you got her an iPhone 4(awesome companion for the Mac).
But you should've gotten the iPhone 4S, especially for the price you are buying an iPhone 4 for.....seen 32gb iP4 for $4-420 on kijiji.

i can showcase a couple of those extras for you to understand, about that extra $100 of money well spent(besides future proofing), only if you want me to, don't wanna waste my time.

For someone like you, the OS might seem blaaaah.....but for your girlfriend, it will be OK.

Damn, even my wife needs her phone jailbroken, because she is liking what mine does.
I can try to please you, but you MUST have a jailbroken iPhone, to not get that blaaaah feeling.
Only if you had a clue about the jailbreak possibilities, you would think different....trust me!!!!!
Please don't get it mixed up and think jailbreaking is for free apps, NO.....you get to add features, functions, themes...many things you can't even think of(endless).

Remember this, jailbreaking is 100% Legal, you can jailbreak an iOS device, and if you are having issues with the device itself(not the jailbreak stuff), you can do a simple restore to factory settings(stock iOS), and take the device in for warranty issues, and apple can't tell if that device was jailbroken before, and honour your warranty no questions asked.

Now the faster and smoother a device is, it will work better while being jailbroken...thats where the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 come in....my jailbroken iPad 2 is way better and faster than my jailbroken iPad 1, and there is no jailbreak for the iPhone 4S yet, or the iPad 2 on iOS 5...(iPad 2 jailbroken on iOS 4.3.3 only).
iPhone 4S and iPad 2 was jailbroken on iOS 5, just not released yet.

New iOS'es brings more features and fixes....enjoy!!!!
Poser, you have a problem with thinking you are smarter than other people. I know exactly what jail breaking a phone does. There are probably hundreds of extras you can add to it, like more volume, better browsing features, faster processors etc. They are called patches

Remember any other OS has the same, Android does, HP does with preware, my own phone and pad have both over 150 patches each

The difference is I have used an android phone and I have also used an iphone, you haven't probably used any other type of phone. like I said, not impressed, but that is just my opinion

Last edited:
To this day I can't get over how jerky the touch response is on android phones, even the latest and greatest ones still can't match the smooth fluid feel of any iPhone. That's kinda sad.

I liken it to using a new version of Windows on an old underpowered computer. Unbearable.

Poser, you have a problem with thinking you are smarter than other people. I know exactly what jail breaking a phone does. There are probably hundreds of extras you can add to it, like more volume, better browsing features, faster processors etc. They are called patches

i never said or had the impression that i am smarter than other people in here, its just that i know a lot pertaining to most apple products..... where did you get that from?

in my post above, i was basically trying to inform you, that you made a not so good decision on your purchase, by choosing the iP4 over the iP4S(by the fact of paying full price and not subsidy of a contract).

i was willing to fully explain the differences as to why your girlfriend would rather have on her new iPhone 4S, than just settling for an iPhone 4(to save $100 dollars).... stock options too, nothing to do with jail-breaking at all. You can still return it and get the better one!!

Jail-breaking

Now...the three extras you mentioned, doesn't compare to what i had in mind, although you did include "etc".
They are not called extras(patches), we call them Tweaks....also have themes, etc.

but lets not focus on the jail breaking , lets just try to make your girlfriend happier with a better iPhone(reason i replied in the first place).

there's one program I've found that isn't on the app store, no idea why it's not there.... VNC server (lots of clients but no server). Some times I want to check my text messages/missed calls but I don't want to get up and do this, it would be convenient to do this from my computer
Actually this the second App to show up on the iPhone once it got jailbroken (first one was SSH server).
All you need is a jailbreak, then you can get a VNC server. I think running a server like that violates apple's App Store policies so this app is not likely to ever be on the app store.

iP4S added features to enjoy over the iPhone 4.

Things that anyone would/should prefer!!!!

its a World Phone - GSM/CDMA.

Siri - an intelligent assistant that helps you get things done just by asking.

the choice of having 64GB(on my 32GB, i had less than 1GB of free space).

Bluetooth 4.0(you need to look into this, its better, think about NFC).

Airplay mirroring to Apple TV(only iPad 2 and iP4S). See anything on the screen, mirrored to your LCD TV.

The speaker is louder(tested).

Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G(1 more hour than iphone 4).

iPhone 4S is quick and responsive, which makes all the difference when you’re launching apps, browsing the web, gaming and doing just about everything. Because the A5 chip is so power-efficient, iPhone 4S has outstanding battery life. In practical terms, this means the multitasking tray will open faster, launch apps in less time, and Safari will load webpages faster.

Shoot stunning 1080p HD video everywhere you go. With all-new optics, the light is always right, the colour is always vivid and everything will look even better than you remember. Video stabilization steadies shaky shots. And you can edit video right on iPhone and share your lush life as fast as you shoot. Video stabilization removes unwanted motion caused by unsteady hands. And if you’re recording a scene with subjects in both the foreground and the background, the camera focuses where you want with a tap.

This just might be the best camera ever on a phone. And with all-new optics, it just might be the only camera you need. Because behind every shot, you’ve got 8-megapixel resolution and a custom lens with a larger f/2.4 aperture. Not to mention an improved backside illumination sensor, excellent auto white balance, advanced colour accuracy, face detection and reduced motion blur. It all means that no matter how many people, how much light, and how much action you capture, everything looks exactly as it should. And just wait until you see the photos.

iPhone 4S is the first phone to intelligently switch between two antennas to transmit and receive, so call quality is better(good for basements). It also doubles the maximum HSDPA data speeds to 14.4 Mbps.[SUP]7[/SUP] Which means faster connections, faster loading and reloading and faster downloads.
this is equivalent to 4G.

Maximum Data Download Speeds (HSDPA)

iPhone 4S 14.4 Mbps
iPhone 4 7.2 Mbps

To spice up the blaaah, hopefully!!!!

iOS 5 Software Update

This update contains over 200 new features, including the following:
  • Notifications
    • Swipe from the top of any screen to view notifications in one place with Notification Center
    • New notifications appear briefly at the top of the screen
    • View notifications from lock screen
    • Slide the notification app icon to the right on the lock screen to go directly to the app
  • iMessage
    • Send and receive unlimited text, photo, and video messages with other iOS 5 users
    • Track messages with delivery and read receipts(see other person typing too)
    • Group messaging and secure encryption
    • Works over cellular network and Wi-Fi*
  • Newsstand
    • Automatically organizes magazine and newspaper subscriptions on Home Screen
    • Displays the cover of the latest issue
    • Background downloads of new issues
  • Reminders for managing to do lists
    • Syncs with iCloud, iCal and Outlook
    • Location-based reminders when you leave or arrive at a location for iPhone 4S and iPhone 4
  • Built-in support for Twitter
    • Sign-in once in Settings and tweet directly from Camera, Photos, Maps, Safari and YouTube
    • Add location to any tweet
    • View twitter profile pictures and usernames in Contacts
  • Camera improvements for devices with cameras
    • Double click the home button when device is asleep to bring up a camera shortcut on iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
    • Volume Up button to take a picture
    • Optional grid lines to line up shots
    • Pinch to zoom in the preview screen
    • Swipe to camera roll from preview screen
    • Tap and hold to lock focus and exposure, iPad 2 and iPod touch (4th generation) only support exposure lock
  • Photo improvements for devices with cameras
    • Crop and rotate
    • Red eye removal
    • One tap enhance
    • Organize photos into albums
  • Mail improvements
    • Format text using bold, italic, or underlined fonts
    • Indentation control
    • Drag to rearrange names in address fields
    • Flag messages
    • Mass mark messages as flagged, read or unread
    • Customize mail alert sounds
    • S/MIME
  • Calendar improvements
    • Year view on iPad and new Week view for iPhone and iPod touch
    • Tap to create an event
    • View and add event attachments
  • Game Center improvements
    • Use personal photos for your Game Center account
    • Compare your overall achievement scores with your friends
    • Find new Game Center friends with friend recommendations and friends of friends
    • Discover new games with custom game recommendations
  • AirPlay Mirroring for iPad 2 and iPhone 4S(only)
  • Multitasking Gestures for iPad
    • Use four or five fingers to pinch to the Home Screen
    • Swipe up to reveal the multitasking bar
    • Swipe left or right to switch between apps
  • On-device setup, activation and configuration with Setup Assistant
  • Software updates available over the air without tethering(using cables)
  • iCloud support
    • iTunes in the Cloud
    • Photo Stream
    • Documents in the Cloud
    • Apps and Books automatic download and purchase history
    • Backup
    • Contacts, Calendar, and Mail
    • Find My iPhone
  • Redesigned Music app for iPad
  • Hourly weather forecast
  • Real-time stock quotes
  • Wireless sync to iTunes
  • Keyboard improvements
    • Split keyboard for iPad
    • Improved autocorrection accuracy
    • Improved Chinese and Japanese input
    • New Emoji keyboard
    • Personal dictionary for autocorrection
    • Optionally create keyboard short cuts for frequently used words
  • Accessibility improvements
    • Option to light LED flash on incoming calls and alerts for iPhone 4S and iPhone 4
    • Custom vibration patterns for incoming calls on iPhone
    • New interface for using iOS with mobility-impairment input devices
    • Option to speak a selection of text
    • Custom element labeling for VoiceOver
  • Exchange ActiveSync improvements
    • Wirelessly sync tasks
    • Mark messages as flagged, read or unread
    • Improved offline support
    • Save a new contact from a GAL service
  • More than 1,500 new developer APIs
  • Bug fixes
Products compatible with this software update:
  • iPhone 4S
  • iPhone 4
  • iPhone 3GS
  • iPad 2
  • iPad
  • iPod touch (4th generation)
  • iPod touch (3rd generation)
* Normal carrier data rates may apply. Messages will be sent as SMS when iMessage is unavailable, carrier messaging fees apply.

FaceTime to any Mac with FaceTime.

Actually this the second App to show up on the iPhone once it got jailbroken (first one was SSH server).
All you need is a jailbreak, then you can get a VNC server. I think running a server like that violates apple's App Store policies so this app is not likely to ever be on the app store.

Yeah, I'm debating jail breaking the phone when the iOS5 break comes out just to have this app. So far I've found mostly free apps have suited my needs. I did pay for the full version of angry birds (and I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it), other apps I use are gasbuddy, a free version of a vnc viewer (I'd pay for the full version if it were 99cents instead of 5 dollars), facebook/G+ and occasionally IM+ (free version) and skype. I have some other games and utilities installed, but they aren't used that much. I had some GPSNav program installed and it had maps stored on the phone but I have a dedicated GPS that has maps and doesn't require a data connection (technically it does have one for traffic) and I can route multiple waypoints, which is a feature I found lacking on both the mobile version of google maps and the GPSNav program. Plus I only bought the 16gig phone (i wanted the 32gb but they didn't have it in white).

Most apps I'd be willing to pay 99cents for the full versions, maybe a bit more if they were used more but I find too many apps are greedy about what you get for what they are charging. the full version of the VNC viewer is $5, extra features are more book marks (there's only 2 addresses I need to connect two, one local one on the internet) and a full virtual keyboard. Not worth it for me, I can make due with the free version and tune out the ads.

Apps I use on a daily basis are: Mail, Safari, Facebook, Google+, Zombie Farm, Texting. Apps I use frequently are Camera, IM+, Angry Birds, Stunt Bike Rider. Apps I use occasionally are Weather Eye, Google Maps, Instagram, iVanity (it's a mirror program), flashlight, Clock (for the alarm features), calculator, Shazam, Notes and contacts. I've tried "drive safe.ly" and "text'ndrive2" but they only seem to read emails out, i'd like them to read the text messages & other push notifications too. Rare applications i've used are ebay, paypal & bank software.

There are probably some other apps I could use but haven't come across them yet.

I just entered the darkside and ordered a 64GB iPad 2 with 3G. I played with quite a few tablets and this one seemed to be smoother and more refined. Will see how it all works out in a week.

I just entered the darkside and ordered a 64GB iPad 2 with 3G. I played with quite a few tablets and this one seemed to be smoother and more refined. Will see how it all works out in a week.

you didn't enter the darkside, you entered the brightside!!!!

64GB was a good choice, especially for videos on that big screen, higher resolution files will look good.

Having the 3G version is also a good choice....for me, i can't wait for the cellphone capabilities(via jailbreak, currently working for iPad 1 3G only, no iPad 2 yet).

Hope you like it.

One major complaint that always sticks out, the camera quality is really poor(to take pics), FaceTime is OK, But hey..its not a camera.
Everything else is great.

Good place to start for any help... many, many questions asked and answered, so make use of the search option, or just do mad browsing.... http://www.ipadforums.net/forumindex.php
A
lso notice the iPad for Business and Education sub-forum, you might wanna check that out.

Last edited:
you didn't enter the darkside, you entered the brightside!!!!

64GB was a good choice, especially for videos on that big screen, higher resolution files will look good.

Having the 3G version is also a good choice....for me, i can't wait for the cellphone capabilities(via jailbreak, currently working for iPad 1 3G only, no iPad 2 yet).

Hope you like it.

One major complaint that always sticks out, the camera quality is really poor(to take pics), FaceTime is OK, But hey..its not a camera.
Everything else is great.

Good place to start for any help... many, many questions asked and answered, so make use of the search option, or just do mad browsing.... http://www.ipadforums.net/forumindex.php
A
lso notice the iPad for Business and Education sub-forum, you might wanna check that out.

Thanks. One of the things that sealed the deal was iTunes University. I liked the android tablets but the plastic back of the Galaxy Tab was offputting plus scrolling etc seemed a little less refined. I will probably also get an android tab at some point when my expenses build back up.

Thanks. One of the things that sealed the deal was iTunes University. I liked the android tablets but the plastic back of the Galaxy Tab was offputting plus scrolling etc seemed a little less refined. I will probably also get an android tab at some point when my expenses build back up.

Maybe a Mac is next!!!!!

Someone on twitter wrote this a few days ago:
Honestly, how was I ever a Windows user for so long? I just don't get how I could be so blind for all of those years...

When i use my Mac, i am all smiles every single time i use it (simple simple), from day 1....i have a windows laptop in the home, when i touch it, i am confused as hell on how to use it, although i used it for 15+ years, just crazy!!!!

Only if everyone can use Mac's, and not have computer stress anymore!!!

Public Service Announcement........

Appstore app finally available for Canada.

My brother bought me an iPad2 64GB and I've been playing with it for around a week now. I like the form factor, but I think I would have liked an Android tablet better. I had to install iTunes and that app is driving me crazy.

Is there no way to have Widgets directly on the main screens like Android or is there something I'm missing? Googling for it, it looks like I'm outta luck with that.

My brother bought me an iPad2 64GB and I've been playing with it for around a week now. I like the form factor, but I think I would have liked an Android tablet better. I had to install iTunes and that app is driving me crazy.

Is there no way to have Widgets directly on the main screens like Android or is there something I'm missing? Googling for it, it looks like I'm outta luck with that.

No widgets on your main screen like Android. Some like it some dont. I am completely fine with not having it. You might find more things working in the notification centre in iOS 5, but that is still not on the main screen like what your looking for.

Last edited:
looks like 1 year ago this thread was created......OK.

Happy Birthday!!!!!

Adobe to cease developing mobile flash plugin for Android and PlayBook

Adobe is making some big changes today, having issued an "intra-quarter update" that includes significant restructuring as the company attempts to refocus itself on "Digital Media and Digital Marketing." Part of the restructuring also apparently includes no longer updating its Flash plugin for mobile devices, which right now primarily is used on both Android and RIM's PlayBook platform. In a statement given to ZDNet, Adobe instead said that it would focus on Adobe AIR apps instead:
Our future work with Flash on mobile devices will be focused on enabling Flash developers to package native apps with Adobe AIR for all the major app stores. We will no longer adapt Flash Player for mobile devices to new browser, OS version or device configurations. Some of our source code licensees may opt to continue working on and releasing their own implementations. We will continue to support the current Android and PlayBook configurations with critical bug fixes and security updates.
Google, BlackBerry, and even HP with its webOS platform have all at one point or another touted the Flash plugin as key to the ability to access the "full web," but of course iOS devices like the iPhone and iPad have never supported it. More recently, both RIM and Google have also both given more attention to HTML5 than to Flash on their platforms.
Adobe may have hinted at this move earlier today in a statement detailing its new direction, noting that it would be "Shifting resources to support even greater investment in HTML5," and "focusing Flash resources on delivering the most advanced PC web experiences, including gaming and premium video, as well as mobile apps." The mobile Flash plug-in was notably absent from the list of Adobe's future directions. As a part of the restructuring, Adobe also announced that it will be laying off approximately 750 full-time employees in North America and Europe, though we have no word about which specific divisions will be hit.
This certainly looks like a sign that Apple has won the battle over whether Flash belongs on mobile devices, as Adobe appears to be transitioning itself to an HTML5 future.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/9/2548802/adobe-killing-mobile-flash-plugin-android-playbook

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/ex...rowser-flash-refocuses-efforts-on-html5/19226

[h=1]Exclusive: Adobe ceases development on mobile browser Flash, refocuses efforts on HTML5[/h] By Jason Perlow | November 8, 2011, 9:17pm PST
Summary: Adobe has briefed developers on the impending cessation of mobile flash browser plugin development.
6228275-425-282.jpg

Sources close to Adobe that have been briefed on the company’s future development plans have revealed this forthcoming announcement to ZDNet:
Our future work with Flash on mobile devices will be focused on enabling Flash developers to package native apps with Adobe AIR for all the major app stores. We will no longer adapt Flash Player for mobile devices to new browser, OS version or device configurations. Some of our source code licensees may opt to continue working on and releasing their own implementations. We will continue to support the current Android and PlayBook configurations with critical bug fixes and security updates.
Additionally, the e-mail briefing to Adobe’s partners has been summed up as follows:
  • Adobe is Stopping development on Flash Player for browsers on mobile.
Adobe is now focusing their development efforts on:
  • Applications for mobile
  • Expressive content on the desktop (in and out of browser)
  • Increasing their investments in HTML5 in general
The full content and scope of the announcement is expected to be posted on the Adobe web site in the next day.

Back
Top Bottom