Why Android is better than iPhone. | Page 182 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why Android is better than iPhone.

Re: Jelly Bean is here

And apple slow to respond as usual like they were with the mini ipad. they're rumored to bring out a low end iphone.

Tsk, tsk, no touch screen macs, when clearly, that's where tech is heading, no 4g laptops. And on and on.

No Jobs, no Apple

Touch screen computers are where things are clearly heading? I dont see that, nor would I want that for any sort of professional use. Touch make sense on tablets and phones, but not so much when your talking desktop use, or even laptops for getting work done.

Apple is going its own way, will it work out in the long run? Only time will tell, I am personally not worried. Its nice to have choice in a system that works for you, whereas you seem to be preaching that all should be sheep and follow what you deem best. I know I know, peoples personal preferences are wrong, and we must follow your heard.

Guess i should file a complaint with Garmin, the best selling brand of GPS, for sending me down an undriveable off road trail in PA.

I've been using Apple maps a bit here and there and it works just fine around Toronto.

I should do the same with Navigon. It wanted to send me 83 kilometers in the wrong direction.

Last edited:

Iphone5S will have NFC? And come in different colours?

That's all some Apple loyalists and cultists need to hear...

iphone-5-lineup.jpg

It appears apple is going the WRONG way.

Whats this I hear... Iphone5S will have NFC? And come in different colours?

We've seen it with the ipad mini, and now we will see it with the iphone. Apple is clearly playing catch up again.

:laughing3:

Edit : link http://bgr.com/2012/12/10/iphone-5s-release-date-rumor-3/

What exactly are they catching up to? I owned a phone with NFC, never used it once, same with EVERY single person I know that has it. Until it becomes a functional feature, it's just a blurb on a spec sheet.

Hope they do colours though, sign me up for a (product) RED iPhone

What exactly are they catching up to? I owned a phone with NFC, never used it once, same with EVERY single person I know that has it. Until it becomes a functional feature, it's just a blurb on a spec sheet.

Google Wallet. As usual, Canada is a laggard.

Google Wallet. As usual, Canada is a laggard.

The problem with NFC and Google Wallet, it doesn't really improve on anything. It doesn't make it any easier to pay for things vs just pulling out your credit card and paying normally. For this to really gain traction, Google has to figure out how it will make transactions easier and quicker for consumers.

The problem with NFC and Google Wallet, it doesn't really improve on anything. It doesn't make it any easier to pay for things vs just pulling out your credit card and paying normally. For this to really gain traction, Google has to figure out how it will make transactions easier and quicker for consumers.

Easy make it cheaper for merchants to use it vs credit cards and they will win. Everyone will insist on using NFC as merchants will push it. Merchants pay a crazy amount on Visa and MC fees ... especially those high reward cards. Amex is the craziest for fees for merchants. That's why a lot of them don't carry amex. No point.

Google has to figure out how it will make transactions easier and quicker for consumers.

That's the aim behind it. Instead of carrying all your credit cards, debit cards, reward cards, coupons, etc., they are all stored in the cloud and accessed through Google Wallet. There's potential behind it. In Japan, they're already using NFC for public transit, libraries, and other memberships. Anywhere you go now that scans a plastic card or bar code can effectively be replaced by NFC technology such as movie tickets or travel passes.

Easy make it cheaper for merchants to use it vs credit cards and they will win.

And also show the merchants that it'd be worth they while to offer NFC transactions. In North America, it's kind of a chicken and egg scenario. Merchants don't see enough mobile subscribers with NFC enabled phones and mobile users don't see enough merchants who use NFC to care about it.

Apple owns 50% of the smartphone market in the US and analysts partly blame them for the lag on NFC adoption in North America because they never supported the tech. Now if the iPhone 5S features NFC, we'll hopefully start to realize its potential. Competition in the market is a good thing for us consumers. All this Apple vs. Android fan boy talk needs to get tossed out the window.

Easy make it cheaper for merchants to use it vs credit cards and they will win. Everyone will insist on using NFC as merchants will push it. Merchants pay a crazy amount on Visa and MC fees ... especially those high reward cards. Amex is the craziest for fees for merchants. That's why a lot of them don't carry amex. No point.

That's an advantage for the merchants, not Joe Blow consumer. Joe Blow still needs an incentive to switch over to Google Wallet. Merchants aren't likely to outright refuse credit cards since so many people use them and will continue to use them above all other payment options. How are you going to get the non-tech people that barely have a cell phone, forget a smart phone, to pay by NFC?

That's the aim behind it. Instead of carrying all your credit cards, debit cards, reward cards, coupons, etc., they are all stored in the cloud and accessed through Google Wallet. There's potential behind it. In Japan, they're already using NFC for public transit, libraries, and other memberships. Anywhere you go now that scans a plastic card or bar code can effectively be replaced by NFC technology such as movie tickets or travel passes.

Apple's Passbook does the exact same thing in theory, with even better implementation in it's current version as it uses your phone's gps to pop up notifications depending on where you are.

At this point neither Passbook nor NFC has gained any momentum, but they're both great in theory. I will say Passbook does work great for Starbucks.

And also show the merchants that it'd be worth they while to offer NFC transactions. In North America, it's kind of a chicken and egg scenario. Merchants don't see enough mobile subscribers with NFC enabled phones and mobile users don't see enough merchants who use NFC to care about it.

Apple owns 50% of the smartphone market in the US and analysts partly blame them for the lag on NFC adoption in North America because they never supported the tech. Now if the iPhone 5S features NFC, we'll hopefully start to realize its potential. Competition in the market is a good thing for us consumers. All this Apple vs. Android fan boy talk needs to get tossed out the window.

You are correct in everything above, but I still don't know if we'll see consumers en masse adopt NFC. The fact of the matter is that NFC (at least in it's current form) does not do anything better than conventional payment options. Now if they get the point card guys on board and make adding credit/debit cards easy it might be a serious option. Neither Passbook or NFC seem to have had luck in doing that.

Back when I had my One X, I briefly looked into adding my primary credit card to NFC. It was so backwards and complicated that I didn't even bother looking into it further.

That's an advantage for the merchants, not Joe Blow consumer. Joe Blow still needs an incentive to switch over to Google Wallet. Merchants aren't likely to outright refuse credit cards since so many people use them and will continue to use them above all other payment options. How are you going to get the non-tech people that barely have a cell phone, forget a smart phone, to pay by NFC?

It won't completely replace plastic cards just like plastic cards haven't replaced cash. NFC will work on the same terminals for those tap and pay credit cards. The incentive is not having to carry all those cards around or worry about losing them. Certain offers can also be redeemed and your purchase all paid for in a single tap. The GPS location feature you mentioned with Passbook also sounds cool. Show me a credit card that can do that. Not to mention easier on the environment as the plastic used to make all the cards in your wallet doesn't exactly grow on trees.

I understand your point though. NFC has potential beyond just purchase transactions and like I pointed out, it's already successful in Japan, so it can work. I think part of the reason behind the lack of execution or innovation for NFC beyond just normal purchase transactions is that there isn't enough mobile users who have phones with NFC. Not enough incentive for companies to think outside the box and execute properly. Hopefully now with Apple supporting the technology, that'll change. For the sake of competition and innovation, the market needs Apple as much as it needs Android as much as it needs Windows (kinda ;)). When companies start to see potential for profit in something, they will jump all over it.

Last edited:

Touch screen computers are where things are clearly heading? I dont see that, nor would I want that for any sort of professional use. Touch make sense on tablets and phones, but not so much when your talking desktop use, or even laptops for getting work done.

They make a tonne of sense as reviewers show. Don't worry, give it a year or two, the iPeople will be singing the praises when catch-up-Apple finally releases one.

Touchscreens and the Myth of Windows 8 ‘Gorilla Arm'

http://techland.time.com/2012/12/10/touchscreens-and-the-myth-of-windows-8-gorilla-arm/

Three reasons a Windows 8 laptop leads, MacBook lags

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57558035-75/three-reasons-a-windows-8-laptop-leads-macbook-lags/

"Touch screen: I've said this before and I'll say it again. Touch is de rigueur for any mobile device now. And two years from now, a portable device without a touch screen will be an anachronism. Like a keyboard without a mouse."

Last edited:
Last edited:

[h=2]Broadcom intros quad-combo, fast single-card wireless chipsets that put NFC at center stage[/h]
Broadcom wants NFC to flow like water, to the point where we can pair speakers and share content between phones like it's no big deal. Accordingly, it's launching two wireless chipsets that should sate both the mobile masses as well as performance lovers. The BCM43341 is reportedly the first to put official NFC support side-by-side with 802.11n WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0 and FM radio in a single chip, taking a long stride towards smaller, cheaper phones with NFC tucked inside. We'll admit that we're drawn more to the speed demon of the pair, the BCM20793: the single-card design combines NFC with a 433Mbps implementation of 802.11n WiFi, raising the prospect of some very fast device-to-device Miracast and WiFi Directconnections in more advanced phones and tablets. Both parts should go into full production in the first quarter of 2013, which gives us enough time to prepare for Broadcom's vision of a tap-to-send future.

Back
Top Bottom