Who's still riding? (Fall 2017 / Winter 2018 edition) | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall 2017 / Winter 2018 edition)

.. A battery powered banana hammock might keep your nuts from retreating, but it doesn't do jack **** for your tire compound at below freezing temps...
I agree - traction is the primary enemy, your tires get really hard at 7C, below 5C a big risk of road icing.

Interesting point...I'll let you know later today how long it takes to get the tires to operating temperature on the CBF1000.

The only time the road might stay icy anywhere above freezing this time of year is after a sub- zero night - the Forks road can be nasty for that as it's shady in the valley.

Talking later in the season tho when it's been cold for weeks on end then yeah tread cautiously.

Last edited:
Looking forward to Thursday and Friday morning rides into work!
Heated gear for the win!

Hope your ride home is before 3-4pm today. Last i looked thats when they're calling for the flash freeze with a blast of snow on top of it.

Wimped out this morning. Couldn't be bothered with possible snow on commute back. Yesterday's horrible commute back might've had something to do with it.

That's as "hardcore" as i'll get lol

If they don't salt the roads though... i'm back out ;)

I did find a heat vest with battery nice but it's rare that body core needs it. The Thermacell sound good for you since you want for other than bike use.

Heating the body core is more important than most people think because they feel it on the finger and toes first.

Here is some info about it:
"Core Warmth
When your core (torso) is warm it readily releases blood to the extremities. When your core gets cold your body's natural defense is stop sending blood to the extremities and keep it for vital organs and the brain. Therefore the best solution for cold hands and feet is often to heat up your core. Core warmth is most easily achieved through physical activity but increasing insulation is another option. "

http://www.summitpost.org/the-science-of-warmth/359562

Last edited:
Wimped out this morning. Couldn't be bothered with possible snow on commute back. Yesterday's horrible commute back might've had something to do with it.

That's as "hardcore" as i'll get lol

If they don't salt the roads though... i'm back out ;)

Apparently a lot of the bridges where brined last night.

Heating the body core is more than important than most people think because they feel it on the finger and toes first.

Here is some info about it:
"Core Warmth
When your core (torso) is warm it readily releases blood to the extremities. When your core gets cold your body's natural defense is stop sending blood to the extremities and keep it for vital organs and the brain. Therefore the best solution for cold hands and feet is often to heat up your core. Core warmth is most easily achieved through physical activity but increasing insulation is another option. "

http://www.summitpost.org/the-science-of-warmth/359562

100% Truth. The only way I can keep my hands warm is with a warm upper body. I feel comfortable at colder temps,
but my Raynaud's kicks in and the warmest gloves in the world wont keep my fingers from going white.

I rode to work today. The freeze weather is supposed to be later in the evening. Tomorrow depends on how icy my roads are.

..Tom

Interesting on the tire temps...the front never got above 4c but the rear got to 14.

••••

Unless you are riding distance i've found layers are fine and too warm = sweat which is way bad.

I'm okay with layers down to low single digits.
Feet were fine at medium heat.

Good ride - it's 5 at Belfountain and no discomfort at all.

...The only time the road might stay icy anywhere above freezing this time of year is after a sub- zero night ....
Not true. Look at the surface of any car when the overnight low is 5C, good chance there are ice crystals all over the car. Same goes for bridges, sheltered and low lying areas, as moisture evaporates it cools the surface moisture wnough to freeze (black ice).

As for your tires heating up -- doubtful below 7C. The cold surrounding air and road can remove any heat you can generate.

Reality is, as long as you ride with an understanding that you'll have less traction, you can ride a motorcycle down to whatever temperature you can damned well tolerate.

The people who think it's tantamount to suicide riding a motorcycle in below (or significantly below) freezing temperatures make me laugh. It's not like the tires suddenly reach a temperature where they have zero traction and the motorcycle becomes instantly uncontrollable. They stick just fine. Just don't try to corner and brake like a hot day in August, that's all.

I just dont have proper winter gear and dont want to freeze my nuts off(tried that last year, no fun)

I commuted today, everything was fine. As @PrivatePilot said, as long as you're riding to the conditions, it's fine. I don't have the gear to do tomorrow though, so the bike'll sit idle then, but looking at the forecast I'll be back out again next week too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reality is, as long as you ride with an understanding that you'll have less traction, you can ride a motorcycle down to whatever temperature you can damned well tolerate.

The people who think it's tantamount to suicide riding a motorcycle in below (or significantly below) freezing temperatures make me laugh. It's not like the tires suddenly reach a temperature where they have zero traction and the motorcycle becomes instantly uncontrollable. They stick just fine. Just don't try to corner and brake like a hot day in August, that's all.
Amen.
Was a great day out and just got in as the drops started to fall.

It's the brine and salt stopping me now, not the temperature.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Starting to see a touch of freezing rain here now and the wind just got quite wild outside - the cold front has arrived.

Roads were brined earlier today.

Next weeks looks decent again. Wish I could enjoy it. Have I mentioned how irritated I am being out of the riding game? This November will be the first time I've missed an entire month of riding since 2005 - I always ride at least once a month. :(

- doubtful below 7C. The cold surrounding air and road can remove any heat you can generate

It was 5c today and rear tire temp was 14. Front tire temp did not go above ambient.
Also both tires jumped a bit in temp on braking. My TPMS reports temp and pressure and both rose about in pressure from cold but rear rose much further from 36 cold to 40 eventually near the top of 410.
The front rose a couple of lb and stayed there..obviously losing heat as fast as it was generated.

To get ice on a roadway requires freezing temperatures (below 32F)
https://atmos.washington.edu/cliff/Roadway2.htm

physics is straight forward - what it means tho is that local actual temps may vary from the general temperature reported ...ie shady areas may be below freezing when the average air temp is still above....but not at 5c above.

And this time of year there is lots of retained heat in roadways.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom