What's the dumbest question someone has ever asked you about your motorcycle? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's the dumbest question someone has ever asked you about your motorcycle?

I usually get inquiries about what the top speed is 🤷‍♂️

Not exactly a question, but dumb af none the less.
It was a steaming hot/humid summer day. I rode my bike past my parents house. I was 45 y/o, and my mom & dad didn't know I'd been riding since I was a kid, I'd kept it a secret for several reasons.
So, they were both standing on their driveway and I thought, wtf, may as well visit......so I pulled in.
Simultaneously, they skreeched "what the hell is that?"
I said, "it's a 750 honda, but the a/c is broken, and I'm hot as hell".
Mom says: (because of my questionable choices in cars back then) "you're always buying a lemon ."

An old guy admired my Thruxton, mentioned the old days, then asked: "So, does Triumph still make bikes?"

A couple of young guys pulled up in car at a traffic light while I was on my Guzzi, and said "Whoah! Sick bike! Is that an Aprila (sic)?

A cop car beside me at a traffic light, the officer in the passenger seat rolls down the window. "What kind of bike is that?" "It's a Moto Guzzi!", I replied. He nodded knowingly, then asked "So, who makes it?"
well... technically if u ride an Aprilia or a Moto Guzzi... we are technically riding a Vespa... All Piaggio's products...

I had a small Ferrari sticker on the side cover of my Suzuki M109R to cover up a scuff mark. Gas tank and 3 other places clearly say Suzuki. Guy walks up to me and says, "Ferrari has made an incredible bike, must be more expensive than my car", which was in this case a Camry. I was speechless, didnt know what to say.

Dad:
What the hell is that? You sold the red CB500X…I thought you were done with this 💩!
Ooooo a Ducati! Guess you’ve got lots of money to burn.

Random on the street:
Is that a YYYYAAAAAMMMMAAAAAHHHHHHAAAAA
or a
HHHHHOOOONNNNNDDDDDAAAAAAAA

me: it’s a Honda. It’s clearly on the tank.

Now you guys are making me feel self conscious because it's been years since a stranger has said anything to me about my bikes

On more than one occasion while teaching the bike course
"so do you ride too?"

Do the noobies think they just pull female instructors out of the accounting department or something?
To be fair.... you are kind of a Unicorn.

The fact that you can outride 95% of riders out there just makes the question funny.

Do the noobies think they just pull female instructors out of the accounting department or something?
I did the Humber instructor thing a few years back… not far off.

No disrespect, but the bar for an M2 instructor isn’t any higher than a Young Drivers of Brampton G2 instructor.

On more than one occasion while teaching the bike course
"so do you ride too?"

I had a client/new rider ask me that once. I found it to be an odd question because I was helping her pick out her first bike (I sell motorcycles for a living). Her partner put his hands up and looked at her with a "wtf is wrong with you?" face. I replied with "yeah, a little bit". It took her a moment to realize, lol.

I had a client/new rider ask me that once. I found it to be an odd question because I was helping her pick out her first bike (I sell motorcycles for a living). Her partner put his hands up and looked at her with a "wtf is wrong with you?" face. I replied with "yeah, a little bit". It took her a moment to realize, lol.

The question is not as far out there as you'd like to believe. I was picking up some Honda parts at a powerhouse dealer that sold cars, bikes, lawnmowers, generators etc........ and spent some time looking at the newly redesigned 2018 GW and a few other bikes. Sales guy came out of his office to "assist". He knew absolutely nothing about motorcycles, had never heard of the ST1100 I had at the time, and had to go back to his office to look up anything I asked him about the GW. I asked him what type of bike he had and he responded that he did not ride. He was a sales guy, he could have been selling cars, washing machines or fridges.

The question is not as far out there as you'd like to believe. I was picking up some Honda parts at a powerhouse dealer that sold cars, bikes, lawnmowers, generators etc........ and spent some time looking at the newly redesigned 2018 GW and a few other bikes. Sales guy came out of his office to "assist". He knew absolutely nothing about motorcycles, had never heard of the ST1100 I had at the time, and had to go back to his office to look up anything I asked him about the GW. I asked him what type of bike he had and he responded that he did not ride. He was a sales guy, he could have been selling cars, washing machines or fridges.
Having the appropriate license in good standing to operate the type of vehicle you are selling is usually a mandatory requirement for the position.

He may have been on the automotive side of the sales team, and was genuinely just trying to help. Or score the commission on a $30k bike

If someone made commission off a sale of me, I'd expect them to be an expert at the products they have. Not an engineering-level of knowledge for the machines, but be able to answer questions potential buyers would have. I wouldn't have patience for anything less.
If I have a sales guy working for me I want him to be able to sell snow to Eskimos.

The best salesmen are the ones who can thoroughly evaluate the buyers needs, appetite, and budget then recommend the best fitting product. A great salesman will know where to go to get answers.

Being a product expert is great, but without the pro sales skills I’d rather have them changing my oil.

If I have a sales guy working for me I want him to be able to sell snow to Eskimos.

The best salesmen are the ones who can thoroughly evaluate the buyers needs, appetite, and budget then recommend the best fitting product. A great salesman will know where to go to get answers.

Being a product expert is great, but without the pro sales skills I’d rather have them changing my oil.
I agree. But without expert product knowledge, you can't make those recommendations. The selling part is just interpersonal and analytical skills.

Edit: Not downplaying good sales skills. I've sold products before, and consider myself to be pretty good. A major portion is uncovering and analyzing customers' needs, educating them on potential options, laying out clear price comparisons, and not talking too much (over-explaining). If you can do this confidently without any bs, you're solid imho.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom