What's for dinner? | Page 24 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

A bazooka would have made him lose his mind.

LOL, I'm sure it would.

I have all the bamboo matts and such, I've made sushi the "traditional" way, and I was reminded of one thing every time I did it - it's not as easy as it looks. We ended up just going out for sushi instead last night. Easier yet. ;)

LOL, I'm sure it would.

I have all the bamboo matts and such, I've made sushi the "traditional" way, and I was reminded of one thing every time I did it - it's not as easy as it looks. We ended up just going out for sushi instead last night. Easier yet. ;)

Joseph Lucas ate sushi because he made his own stove.

Last edited:
Burnt ends are available at a variety of places. Hogtown smoke and Carbon bar in TO, for example.

I did an Instant pot beef pot roast using a great on-line recipe for my $10 sirloin tip roast. Came out excellent, and the au jus was top notch. A very easy, simple and fast cook. I didn't get a picture, but here is one from the recipe guide which shows it well.
attachment.php

I've never been able to do as well a job with my slow cooker, so no more using my slow cooker for pot roasts. Unfortunately, slow cookers made for the last 20 years have a dirty little secret most people don't know about.
We use our slow cooker quite often. What's the dirty little secret? I definitely don't want to prepare all my families food in it if it's dangerous in some way.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Ok I'm lost.

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I'm not sure if my extra verb threw you or you don't know who Joseph Lucas is / was. He supplied most of the British market with electrical components. His light switches got him the nickname of "Prince of darkness". Three positions, dim, flicker and off. Google Joseph Lucas jokes.

As a bonus, just for you Joe:

www.buttertarttour.ca

We use our slow cooker quite often. What's the dirty little secret? I definitely don't want to prepare all my families food in it if it's dangerous in some way.

Don't you know, there's a little dirty secret in everything we do or buy these days? Sometimes true, many times not ... too easy today, all it takes today is a twitter or FB account to start a new conspiracy. That's how the world spins today ...

Just buy decent quality pots, instead of cheap units made in middle of nowhere with questionable materials and coating processes.

Joseph Lucas ate sushi because he made his own stove.

Ok I'm lost.

I'm lost too. How does he make sushi rice if his stove doesn't work? Edit: Of course he could go out ... :lmao:

BTW, my little Puch scoot has Bosch magneto with Lucas tail/brake light. I order bulbs by the box ...

Last edited:

I see someone cared enough to ask. Nothing dangerous, but a big problem in my experience. Slow cookers run too hot now. Most people don't know this. About 15-20 years ago the manufacturers bumped up slow cooker temps significantly and slow cookers for the last many years are no longer "slow" or "low".

Many recipes now have incorrect cooking times and those 8 hr type cooks are now way overdone. Lots can be read on the internet with a google search of "slow cooker too hot".

e.g.
https://greenmomintheburbs.wordpres...se-the-temperatures-to-make-them-cook-hotter/
https://www.thespruce.com/are-hotter-cooking-crockpots-good-or-bad-479985
http://www.clevercraftycookinmama.com/2012/05/too-hot-crock-pot.html#.WPZ-1IgrLb0

I found out because I never could get a reasonably good cook from my 05'ish slow cooker. It is exacerbated if the slow cooker is not at least 2/3's full as well.

My advice is buy a vintage slow cooker if you want one. And if you have one, never give it up for a newer one. I use the Instant pot now and prefer it but at some point I wouldn't adding a vintage slow cooker.

Last edited:
Not sure about your slow cooker, but ours has 4 or 5 temperature settings. At it's lowest it's about as 'slow cooker-ish' as I could possibly guess anyone would ever want. Heck, it barely cooks at it's lowest setting.

At high, yes indeed it will readily boil liquids.

Not sure about your slow cooker, but ours has 4 or 5 temperature settings. At it's lowest it's about as 'slow cooker-ish' as I could possibly guess anyone would ever want. Heck, it barely cooks at it's lowest setting.

At high, yes indeed it will readily boil liquids.
Yeah ours has 3 settings and a couple modes. It even has a built in meat thermometer so you can have it cook by temp. Really handy. We use it weekly almost.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Thanks @kwtoxman. We did have a vintage Crock Pot. It was great, fill it in the am, dinner ready when you got home. Had to buy a new one recently and we are finding exactly that, it's too hot. I miss our old one lol.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Not sure about your slow cooker, but ours has 4 or 5 temperature settings.

Yeah ours has 3 settings and a couple modes.

Mine does too. And it doesn't matter. The main difference in the settings on slow cookers from the last 15-20 years is how long it takes to get to temperature (it ends up at the same temperature). It's all described in links found in the google search.
https://www.chowhound.com/post/slow-cooker-745882?commentId=6048724

They still run too hot and easily overcook meals when on for over 6 hrs.

Last edited:
There are three slow cookers sitting around here, 33yr old crock pot with on/off, 30yr old regency slow cooker with low/high, and a digital cuisinart with programs like a space craft. I dont notice much difference but I only use one for something I want to cook all day, leftover roast beef, leftover steak (like never) and leftover pork roast goes in with a can of diced tomatoes and some basil, salt pepper. 8 hrs later out comes an amazing ragu.

I've got 4 settings. Low, med, high and auto. I tend to run it on high for fast slow cooks. Anyone know a source for replacement ceramic/crock pot?

I've got 4 settings. Low, med, high and auto. I tend to run it on high for fast slow cooks. Anyone know a source for replacement ceramic/crock pot?

goodwill shop, salvation army thrift store, value village. almost all of them will have a selection of old slow cookers for $10-$15 bucks, theres your replacement crock

Mine does too. And it doesn't matter. The main difference in the settings on slow cookers from the last 15-20 years is how long it takes to get to temperature (it ends up at the same temperature). It's all described in links found in the google search.
https://www.chowhound.com/post/slow-cooker-745882?commentId=6048724

I think you should read all the comments to that post. ;)

Ours most definitely does only heat up to a certain temperature when on a lower setting, and firmly stays there.

I think what's happening with many of the newer vs older crock pots is the fact that the newer ones control the element differently (IE, "on or off", no in between) and the electronics cycle that element on and off as required for it to maintain the temperature. Older crock pots will often have a rheostat control that simply provides less voltage to the element and maintain the lower (but often less configurable) temperature via a different method.

I do know for a fact that when my crock pot is set on a lower setting (keep warm, or low) it most definitely will never surpass a certain temperature. On more than a few occasions we've set things on low only to have to crank them up in the last hour or two of cooking (after 6-8 hours of cooking by that point) in order to actually avoid eating undercooked food - it was just not getting hot enough.

Gave away my vintage crockpot because it had a crack and we had 2 that we never use. Wish I had bought a new pot for it, not to use it as a slow cooker but to convert it to sous vide.

And @joe are you still using foil? There are lots of alternatives out there http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/cooking-with-aluminum-foil/

I have an old school slow cooker, I wonder just how old it is. Whenever I use it though, never turns out well. I'm sure it's user error but I've never had a meal cooked in it that made me love the thing. So it sits in the cupboards except for a few times a year I try it out again :D

I think you should read all the comments to that post. ;)

Ours most definitely does only heat up to a certain temperature when on a lower setting, and firmly stays there.

I think what's happening with many of the newer vs older crock pots is the fact that the newer ones control the element differently (IE, "on or off", no in between) and the electronics cycle that element on and off as required for it to maintain the temperature. Older crock pots will often have a rheostat control that simply provides less voltage to the element and maintain the lower (but often less configurable) temperature via a different method.

I do know for a fact that when my crock pot is set on a lower setting (keep warm, or low) it most definitely will never surpass a certain temperature. On more than a few occasions we've set things on low only to have to crank them up in the last hour or two of cooking (after 6-8 hours of cooking by that point) in order to actually avoid eating undercooked food - it was just not getting hot enough.

I think you should try to stop your repetitive confirmation bias behaviour and use the common-sense basic principle of the overall weight of evidence. ;)

The keep warm setting is not a cook setting. Yes, some people report having pots that do have a lower temp for the keep warm setting, but it isn't a cook setting and should not be used as such, and many report not being successful cooking with that setting. By far most people who have assessed and reported these things have shown that any of the cook settings essentially result in a very-similar-to-same temperature.

Maybe you have one of the super expensive models. A few people report that high end expensive model slow cookers do have temperature differences between settings, such as some Cuisinart models for example. Though the settings are all still relatively high temperatures. For example, I've found an expensive Cuisinart MSC-600 at $300 that still has 212F on high and 200F on low. More examples and reading here. https://www.chowhound.com/post/cooking-temperatures-slow-cooker-725139

There are a lot more links and evidence out there supporting this. Go to the "Understand the Low and High Temperature Settings" at the bottom of this link and everyone will see confirmation that high and low settings both go to the same temperature for what may be the biggest slow cooker manufacturer out there.
https://webcache.googleusercontent....w-vs.-high%3F.html+&cd=15&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

For those who want a newer slow cooker that works more like a vintage slow cooker, check out the last link in my last post about this. It shows a slow roaster with full temperature control from 125F to 400F. The OP in that link recommends it.

Edit:
Another option for people who have a simple slow cooker (e.g., an off, low and high switch with no circuitry) is to build your own crock-o-stat. http://www.delcollo.us/icp/crockostat.html. Don't exceed the 600 watt limit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom