What the heck….mental hesitation… | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What the heck….mental hesitation…

Reviving an older thread here. How's everyone's mental game going into another riding year? A lot of terrible drivers out on the roads browsing social media, insurance at record highs and all around inflation killing the budget for a lot of riders. Much like last year I can't wait for warmer weather to get the bike out, but I have a feeling I'll go on 1 or 2 rides, scratch the itch and then just be over it. Lately I haven't been able to shake the feeling that so much can go wrong every time I get on my bike that can devastate my life vs the rewards for a little ride. I know you shouldn't concentrate on the negatives, but the Fallen Riders section always hits home and I would hate to be seriously injured and have to ask myself, so.....was it worth it? Feeling more and more to sell the bike and buy another sports card for the adrenaline boost. Anyone else considering hanging up the helmet and jacket more so every season?

Reviving an older thread here. How's everyone's mental game going into another riding year? A lot of terrible drivers out on the roads browsing social media, insurance at record highs and all around inflation killing the budget for a lot of riders. Much like last year I can't wait for warmer weather to get the bike out, but I have a feeling I'll go on 1 or 2 rides, scratch the itch and then just be over it. Lately I haven't been able to shake the feeling that so much can go wrong every time I get on my bike that can devastate my life vs the rewards for a little ride. I know you shouldn't concentrate on the negatives, but the Fallen Riders section always hits home and I would hate to be seriously injured and have to ask myself, so.....was it worth it? Feeling more and more to sell the bike and buy another sports card for the adrenaline boost. Anyone else considering hanging up the helmet and jacket more so every season?
Offroad ups your chances of injuries but lowers your chance of death. If you are cruising around on fire roads as opposed to wfo on single-track, even injury risk is pretty low.

Offroad ups your chances of injuries but lowers your chance of death. If you are cruising around on fire roads as opposed to wfo on single-track, even injury risk is pretty low.
Actually, any serious injuries (and sadly deaths) that I'm aware of happening off road have occurred on the fire/access roads. It's nearly impossible to "WFO" in single track, even the wide stuff that an ATV can pass through.

To Manhatten's point and in support of yours, I wonder if it's a symptom of where he's riding. Out here in the "far unlit unknown" of rural Ontario the aggressive drivers seem fewer and farther between and easier to avoid. Of course, I'm aware the worst can happen if you allow yourself to fall into a false sense of safety/security, and I generally do question the attention and capability/skill of EVERY vehicle approaching me on the road.

Travelling on the 401 and down into the west end recently was a very different experience that it used to be. If I had to ride a MC regularly within the boundaries of Toronto, I'd consider quitting too.

When it stops being fun or "Wind Therapy" as Privatepilot described it, or the concern for the risks outweigh the joy then it's time to move on.

Actually, any serious injuries (and sadly deaths) that I'm aware of happening off road have occurred on the fire/access roads. It's nearly impossible to "WFO" in single track, even the wide stuff that an ATV can pass through.
I meant cruising like putting around at low speed to explore and experience nature (think ct70 or tw200) not fire road blasting and pretending you are in paris-dakar.

I have never had that feeling in a general sense. There have been plenty of times I've found myself into situations that made me uncomfortable (Should I turn back? Should I end the riding day? Should I continue riding with this pack of animals?) but those have always been situational and the angst passed with the situation.

Some things you don't enjoy have to be done (going to work, cutting grass, shoveling snow), but your pastimes are different. Riding isn't worth it unless it's enjoyable, so if it's making you anxious it's probably worth a break or a change. Time away may reinvigorate your interest, or it may send you in a different more enjoyable direction.

Doesn't really matter if you're having fun.

I'm with you. I travel across Markham between 48 and the 404 twice a day. Not rare to see crazy driving. Rare to see a YRP pull anyone over.

I've been beside local YRP cruisers at an intersection where cars blow reds and roll right runs on reds without exciting the cop.

Without some deterrents, the habits will only get words.

Maybe I should get a dashcam --I could do a daily YooToobe show using the footage I collect crossing Markham. I usually get out to Burlington once a seek -- that area is rapidly becoming another source of Just for Laugh's driving content.

I've been beside local YRP cruisers at an intersection where cars blow reds and roll right runs on reds without exciting the cop.

Without some deterrents, the habits will only get words.
Cops everywhere seem to be limiting their scope of work. Barrie cops no longer respond to shoplifting. Some stores have the same people come in daily to fill up bags and leave without paying. Cops have checked out. If cops aren't going to do their job, a few cracks of a baton seem entirely reasonable to modify behaviour.

Ironically I'm way up north (no.....not Sudbury, Red Lake area). In the summer the traffic can get a little dumb due to the travelling season, but aside from that it's pretty tame. More so it's the wildlife, and transport trucks that you need to watch out for.....and the OPP who are cowboys up here. Not many rural roads up here that are not dirt, and the highway riding is very boring and monotonous. I guess I miss riding more so down south in the Haliburton area where you could actually plan out a good ride for the day. Up north if you're not going for a 6 hour ride, you might as well stay home because you won't get to any destination.

Also after years of fast riding, I don't know anyone that can do 90 km/h on a highway on a motorcycle. My bike only really feels comfortable in around the 140 km/h range, but then you're just looking for cops around every corner and hill.

I went out for a quick boot last night and it was glorious. The sound, the wind, the feeling...can't be beat.

But...the idiots are out in large quantities and more often than before. I'll give it a month or so once it warms up. To me, there's no point in keeping the bike if I ride 3-5x/year, just a waste of money.

So to answer the question...no effing clue, but I'm leaning toward getting rid of the bike, potentially replacing it with something more suitable for longer distances.

But I'd be lying if I wasn't day dreaming of cruising, or doing a loop around Lake Ontario as @guzzirider posted late last year.

First warm week of this year, and I'll do my annual ride to Fort Erie and back up along the escarpment along to NOTL. Then I'll decide.

EDIT: Here you are minding your own business....and BAM!

I went out for a quick boot last night and it was glorious. The sound, the wind, the feeling...can't be beat.

But...the idiots are out in large quantities and more often than before. I'll give it a month or so once it warms up. To me, there's no point in keeping the bike if I ride 3-5x/year, just a waste of money.

So to answer the question...no effing clue, but I'm leaning toward getting rid of the bike, potentially replacing it with something more suitable for longer distances.

But I'd be lying if I wasn't day dreaming of cruising, or doing a loop around Lake Ontario as @guzzirider posted late last year.

First warm week of this year, and I'll do my annual ride to Fort Erie and back up along the escarpment along to NOTL. Then I'll decide.

EDIT: Here you are minding your own business....and BAM!

I have not ridden yet, first ride will be moving the bike home later this month.
1st year with the new property will be very busy and I wonder just how much I'll actually ride.
I'm in an area with not much traffic, but that comes with it's own risks as people often speed and don't obey anything.
I'm going to try to schedule some rides for myself so the bike is not neglected but I think this year it will be limited.
We'll see how things fair next year.

Hubs was telling me a story the other day about a rider, going northbound, waiting at the white line to turn left, light was green but there was traffic going southbound...a pick up truck was going south and just as he entered the intersection a speeding car going eastbound rammed through the red light, hit the truck and the truck spun out taking out the motorcyclist...talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time...

I was out today doing 13 over on Appleby Line...guy in a pick up with an open trailer behind me passed me as if I was standing still...doesn't instill a lot of joy in my ride :(

Ironically I'm way up north (no.....not Sudbury, Red Lake area). In the summer the traffic can get a little dumb due to the travelling season, but aside from that it's pretty tame. More so it's the wildlife, and transport trucks that you need to watch out for.....and the OPP who are cowboys up here. Not many rural roads up here that are not dirt, and the highway riding is very boring and monotonous. I guess I miss riding more so down south in the Haliburton area where you could actually plan out a good ride for the day. Up north if you're not going for a 6 hour ride, you might as well stay home because you won't get to any destination.

Also after years of fast riding, I don't know anyone that can do 90 km/h on a highway on a motorcycle. My bike only really feels comfortable in around the 140 km/h range, but then you're just looking for cops around every corner and hill.
I have no problem riding at 90kph on a road posted at 80kph.
I just don't bother using 6th gear as it is only good for 110kph and above.

Find myself looking down unmaintained roads and making mental notes of where they are so I can explore them now that I have the adv bike. Quite looking forward to this season and a whole new type of riding.

Find myself looking down unmaintained roads and making mental notes of where they are so I can explore them now that I have the adv bike. Quite looking forward to this season and a whole new type of riding.
The number of interesting dirt roads in Ontario is endless. I live in Markham, I can get dirty 5km away in the Pickering airport lands.

There are lots in the Highlands, but my favorites start at Sudbury and North Bay. You can ride for weeks on dirt highways, mining and logging roads. Free camping everywhere, great scenery, and you chose the challenge level from novice to expert.

My days of charging through dirt like I’m pretending Dakar are behind me, today I enjoy the scenery, exploration and the small challenges that are ever present off highway.

That is a tough call. When you think about all that can go wrong, your head is not in the game. Something will go wrong. Take a break, prep the bike for spring and if you are ready to ride, go, if not either wait another year or sell it.
Had this happen to me many years ago when the kids were little. I’d get out once a month very late at night for a quick ride. Then thought what the heck some drunk driver could take me out. Maintained the bike for a decade, I think I changed the oil more than the gas. Then when it felt right I rode again.

Beware of all the idiots on off road vehicles!
A friend of mine worked at a shop selling side by sides.
Every customer that came in the door had done their research to determine how many beer the storage compartments held!

Beware of all the idiots on off road vehicles!
A friend of mine worked at a shop selling side by sides.
Every customer that came in the door had done their research to determine how many beer the storage compartments held!
That's pee on my cornflakes.

Some of the other posts had me thinking about a light, maybe 250cc blue plate and low speed gravel or dirt road excursions. Getting to the roads without the encumbrances of trailers would have to be worked out.

My uncle was a mechanic in WWII and when the roads were rough he said the dispatch riders preferred the light bikes because if they had to hit the ditch to avoid the enemy they could pull the bike out on their own. Once the areas were secure they liked the Harleys and Indians. I have no desire to pull a Goldwing out of a ditch.

I was envisioning a bucolic ride and the smell of the forest. Now it's beer buggys and mayhem.

Back
Top Bottom