What is your favourite 600?(including 636) | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What is your favourite 600?(including 636)

If anything they would last even longer. You cruise on the hwy at like 8k rpms and it tops at like 16k. Can't baby it anymore than that. There's a guy on the CBR forum that has an 03 f4i with 450k MILES on it. He travels and tracks it. So how is it not blown up?

First of all, the f4i isn't the hardcore track version, it's slightly detuned, and second of all...he probably doesn't track it very fast, lol

Again, you can share anecdotes, and I can give you what I think is probably the reason for them...but it doesn't change the fact that reliability is compromised when you buy a machine that's meant for racing.

Do you understand what we're actually debating here? Riding deftly is not the same thing as abusing the machine...

Doing 30 laps at WSIR once a month where the bike sees 150mph once per lap could be construed as hard use for a 600, riding at slow speed on the street (no matter how well you're riding) is not hard on it.

A sport touring bike with an engine that isn't as stressed will last longer than a pure sports bike like a 600 for street use; this is the point I was making, that longevity IS a factor and a reason not to buy a 600 for this guy, and you guys took it as an affront to your machines.

No idea what CTMP is, but if it's some Ontario track, sure, if there is a day going in the next month, PM me and I'll come out
You just argued against your own argument. "Riding on the street isn't abusing it" yet they don't last longer than a low revving engine?
Is it maybe because you've never seen over 100k on a sport bike since they are totaled by then?

First of all, the f4i isn't the hardcore track version, it's slightly detuned, and second of all...he probably doesn't track it very fast, lol

Again, you can share anecdotes, and I can give you what I think is probably the reason for them...but it doesn't change the fact that reliability is compromised when you buy a machine that's meant for racing.
Where do you get this info from?

get a Hayabusa.

/end thread

What's with this wearing out bs? Sure the rings and valve seats might get a bit worn but it's not like a high mileage bike won't make good power. The suspension will go long before the motor wth

I've heard people say this about 4cycl cars too, usually from guys with old gm 6s that rev about as high as a diesel truck lol

Last edited:
You just argued against your own argument.

No.

"Riding on the street isn't abusing it"

Correct.

yet they don't last longer than a low revving engine?

It isn't just revs, it's a state of tune...a 600cc engine making 120hp isn't going to last as long as a 650cc engine making 70hp, if all other factors are equal, for example, but high rpm is a factor as well.

Is it maybe because you've never seen over 100k on a sport bike since they are totaled by then?

I have several bikes, no individual one has 100k on it, although a couple are close.

A lot of this stuff is common sense if you're into engines, which clearly some of the people posting here (especially the person who just replies 'lol') don't know much about.

Both sides have right & wrong, its true a higher revving engine will not last as long but 100k does NOT signal an engine rebuild.

200k might be where things start to degrade. Thing about this is we don't have alot of live samples, you don't get too much sports bikes that hit that mileage

I have a 2010 Yamaha FZ6R...not a super sport, but a sport touring so you sit more upright...and I've taken it to Bancroft and beyond many a time this past season with no problems...it goes fast enough to keep up to an FZ1, and good enough for me in the twisties (I don't need to touch my knees to the ground thanks)...good on fuel (300 km/tank) and looks great IMO...but as a few others have said, it's all personal taste and what you want out of a bike...go to the shows, sit on a few and try to test ride some next spring if possible...good luck in your search...

Sounds like the FZ1 was broken, or the rider forgot to shift out of 1st gear.

Sounds like the FZ1 was broken, or the rider forgot to shift out of 1st gear.
I've been trying to wrap my head around that but then again I've never ridden a FZ1.

I heard its a detuned R1 engine, so reserved my comment to myself

If you only knew how many times the exact same words were posted here...

Oh well, all the best.
He has 3 whole months under his belt, leave him alone - on youtube that is like 20 years

Did the cabot trail in 10 hours. With an hour stop for lunch. 1050km ride. :)
PA and back in one day on the 750, about 16 hrs with s few stops for food and gas. I find the GSXRs a lot more comfortable than any other bike.

Do they make track snow tires now? got to jump on that

:D i kid i kid

Do you understand what we're actually debating here? Riding deftly is not the same thing as abusing the machine...

Doing 30 laps at WSIR once a month where the bike sees 150mph once per lap could be construed as hard use for a 600, riding at slow speed on the street (no matter how well you're riding) is not hard on it.

A sport touring bike with an engine that isn't as stressed will last longer than a pure sports bike like a 600 for street use; this is the point I was making, that longevity IS a factor and a reason not to buy a 600 for this guy, and you guys took it as an affront to your machines.

No idea what CTMP is, but if it's some Ontario track, sure, if there is a day going in the next month, PM me and I'll come out

Where do you get this info from?

From its specs and power output compared to other 600 SS of the same year. Take a 2001 R6 for example 15,500 redline around 100HP stock...Put that up against a 2001 F4i 14,200 redline and 92HP.....The F4i is a very reliable bike, a very powerful bike it is not....And that adds to its reliability, lower HP and RPM has a lot to do with that...

Im biased towards Kawaski, so for the street I would say a 636, for the track a 09-12 ZX6R (600)...And I own both currently from brand new a 09 Z6R and a 2013 636 and have ridden both on the street and track

Its hard to choose the right bike for you because really who gets to test ride each brand. I have owned Kawsakis and Yamaha R's, and they both worked well for me, I have ridden GSXR's and CBR's and they just dont fit me as well as the others, but that could be that I am just so used to the ergonomics and engine characteristics of the bikes Ive owned. No matter how good the new GSXR etc is or can be, it just doesnt feel right when I ride it...Its like trying to get me to change helmet brands that I have been wearings for 13 years, it can be the best looking helmet in the world but when I put it on it just doesnt fit right....So I stick with what works for me

Really I dont think you could go wrong with any of them if you give them the time to get used to them

Last edited:
From its specs and power output compared to other 600 SS of the same year. Take a 2001 R6 for example 15,500 redline around 100HP stock...Put that up against a 2001 F4i 14,200 redline and 92HP.....The F4i is a very reliable bike, a very powerful bike it is not....And that adds to its reliability, lower HP and RPM has a lot to do with that...

Im biased towards Kawaski, so for the street I would say a 636, for the track a 09-12 ZX6R (600)...And I own both currently from brand new a 09 Z6R and a 2013 636 and have ridden both on the street and track

Its hard to choose the right bike for you because really who gets to test ride each brand. I have owned Kawsakis and Yamaha R's, and they both worked well for me, I have ridden GSXR's and CBR's and they just dont fit me as well as the others, but that could be that I am just so used to the ergonomics and engine characteristics of the bikes Ive owned. No matter how good the new GSXR etc is or can be, it just doesnt feel right when I ride it...Its like trying to get me to change helmet brands that I have been wearings for 13 years, it can be the best looking helmet in the world but when I put it on it just doesnt fit right....So I stick with what works for me

Really I dont think you could go wrong with any of them if you give them the time to get used to them
You're a creature of habit

The difference between them isn't that big even with my fat arse sitting on it. I raced a clapped out F4 with a used engine in it against R6's for a couple of years and didn't suffer that much. You are right different people fit different bikes, i like the newer gsx'r as i feel like i'm sitting in the bike, not on top of it like the others.

Back
Top Bottom