What did you do to your Race/Track Bike today - 2014 | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do to your Race/Track Bike today - 2014

Ah smart man, that is the way to go

I received a package today and opened it :)
IMG_00000052.jpg

Looks too shiny, I'm sure you'll fix that :)

Did nothing to my race bike, but I placed the order for something to haul it around in. 2014 Ram ProMaster full size van,

Hate to derail this thread, but being the car/truck guy that I am, I'd like to hear what your other choices were, and why you went with the dodge. If you want, you can PM me.

If you feel Im being nosy, feel free not to respond at all.

Carry on, people….

Hate to derail this thread, but being the car/truck guy that I am, I'd like to hear what your other choices were, and why you went with the dodge. If you want, you can PM me.

If you feel Im being nosy, feel free not to respond at all.

Carry on, people….

No problem. I've known about and been waiting for this vehicle for a year and it suits my bike-transport needs to a T.

Pickup trucks - Out, due to the load floor being too high on ALL modern pickup trucks. Loading and unloading by myself is too awkward. And the bike is still out in the elements and I can't sleep in the truck.

Enclosed trailer - Out. I have nowhere to park one. And it would still require a heavier-duty tow vehicle anyhow.

Minivans - all of them - Cannot get two bikes inside them.

Ford Transit Connect - Too short by 6 inches and there's no trailer tow rating. There is a new one coming, and it's known that there will be a longer version, but it's still likely too small to be able to get two bikes in it and trailer towing is an unknown.

Nissan NV200 - Too short by 6 inches and no trailer tow rating.

So that means full-size van. The ProMaster has the lowest loading floor of any of them (by about 4 or 5 inches) because of the front wheel drive. The roof is high enough that I can stand up inside with my head ducked down a bit, even on the low roof model (try that in a GM or Ford traditional van). Sprinter was on the short list; they have about the same height in the cargo area but the whole vehicle is 4 or 5 inches higher - which, theoretically, I could live with, although any height increase is a bad thing for loading and unloading - but (A) Sprinters are made from compressed rust, I don't trust their corrosion protection at all; (B) they don't have a great reliability record; (C) IF something goes wrong in middle-of-nowhere West Virginia, the probability of finding a mechanic who can fix a Chrysler using parts from AutoZone is a LOT greater than the probability of finding a mechanic who can fix a Mercedes; (D) the real world fuel consumption on the V6 diesel Mercedes isn't appreciably better than that of the lower, lighter, albeit gasoline-engine ProMaster. There's a new 4 cylinder diesel engine Sprinter for 2014 with better fuel consumption - but $8k more expensive ain't worth it.

Decision still not fully made, because ProMaster has a multitude of configurations. Can't be high roof ... too high (by a smidge) to fit under a balcony at my house, and the low roof is high enough anyhow. Originally looked at a short wheelbase for better maneuverability, but the heck with it, better to have the extra space and not need it than to need it and not have it. So, medium wheelbase (the useful cargo area is about 10 feet long), low roof, "1500" (only meaningful difference is the final drive ratio in the transmission - the slightly taller ratio in the 1500 should be a bit better on fuel and I don't need the extra load capacity), factory trailer tow package, cruise control, UConnect, rear camera and parking sensors, 3-across seating, power mirrors, upgraded driver's seat with adjustable lumbar support, and various other toys to make long trips comfortable and convenient.

No, Sunny, a Honda minivan or Ridgeline would not cut the mustard. :)

Couple other things. There is a diesel ProMaster coming, eventually, but it is delayed introduction and the current estimate for start-of-production is April, but that's when I need the van. And it's $6k extra, hard to justify.

And, the old Ford E-series Econoline is soon to be replaced by Transit (the real one, not the Connect) ... which has had one production delay after another. I worked on some of the production equipment for that. Still going to be rear drive so it won't have the low-floor advantage. There is a front-drive Transit in Europe with a lower load floor, but we ain't getting it.

I totally see why you would choose this style of van. And the Sprinter scares me too, for the reasons you mentioned and more.

IMHO, the ProMaster scares me more. Its basically a rebadged Fiat (known for subpar quality in europe), except the Promaster is built in Mexico to boot.

First year reliability and quality on a fiat engineered vehicle made in mexico, and you will see where Im coming from.

"for me", and granted, haven't done enough research yet on the model, but early indicators look good, but out of the Promaster/sprinter type vehicles, the tip of the hat would go to the coming soon full-size Ford Transit

Fords been on a good run lately (did you see the new Aluminum 2015 F150?…impressive), and I'd like to think the Transit will be a good competitor.

The Transit program has had one unbelievable delay after another and is now months behind schedule and is still vaporware - not a good sign. As for the first-year-vehicle situation ... that's what warranties are for. The engine is the 3.6 Pentastar; early Pentastars had some cylinder head issues but those were fixed mid-2012 and shouldn't affect anything since; Chrysler is now using those engines in just about everything and I haven't heard of too many problems outside of the early-production issues. Transmission is a beefed-up 62TE, which they also use in just about everything that is front wheel drive. Chrysler minivans were notorious for transmission troubles but I'm assured by the Mopar fans that these have been fixed. As for everything else ... that's what the warranty is for.

My Jetta TDI was a first-year model and I sold that after almost 430,000 km ...

The aluminum F150 is all well and good but it still looks way too high to be easy to load and unload. Size and styling don't appear to be major departures. If I were to consider any pickup, it would be the new Chevrolet Colorado, which is much more reasonably sized. But, again, bike is outside, can't sleep inside!

P.S. Just for SunnyS's amusement (because I know he is a Honda fanboi), I'm looking at Autoblog right now. The new Honda Fit looks pretty good! Even the interior looks good. I'd take that over a Civic. Better looking inside and out, and it's a hatch. They can keep the CVT, but I'd take a row-your-own anyhow in something like that. Back to regularly scheduled bike-related programming ...

Hey folks, some pretty huge life changing events coming up in my life, it was a hard decision to make, but for the sake of my family, I've decided to put the biking madness on hold for a couple of years, maybe until my wife finishes her phd and gets a real job. In light of that, I'll be selling everything I have, including bike, equipment, 100%, I'll keep just the trailer. 2 sets of warmers (Moto-D set used only 1 time, older Bickles), pitbull stand, other stands, pitbull trailer restraint system, leathers, boots, almost new Dunlop slicks, etc. etc. etc... not desperate, not giving it all away for free, but not looking or hoping to get my money back either. Posting here cause i'm very emotional about my decision, and I know personally some of the posters in this thread, good folks who helped me a lot in the last couple of years. Not changing my mind, and plan to come watch you all, maybe do some photos for ya in the summer. Who knows, maybe i'll be back in the game by the time they build the new track at Niagara. Anyways, PM me if you potentially think of something I have and you want to acquire. I don't know when I'll find the time to actually make inventory and list everything in the "for sale" section, probably soon, but don't feel like doing it right now. Peace!

Sucks to hear Orlin. This is the reason why I'm not looking to settle down anytime soon. Call me selfish but I'd rather do this stuff then raise kids etc. I like my current lifestyle and have no reason to change it now. No offence to those with kids though.
Also, sent you a pm :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, Sunny, a Honda minivan or Ridgeline would not cut the mustard. :)

How would an ambulance suit your needs? Heard somebody mention this a while back.
Seriously - you can get them for a relatively decent price with about 100,000 km on them, complete with full service history etc.

They have lots of storage space (can remove stuff inside as necessary), have a lower access for gurneys at the back end. I believe most of them have external power outlets, so you wouldn't really need a generator - just leave the diesel motor idling. Will be quieter than a generator and you'd have air conditioning to rest in on the really hot days.

Last edited:
How would an ambulance suit your needs? Heard somebody mention this a while back.
Seriously - you can get them for a relatively decent price with about 100,000 km on them, complete with full service history etc.

They have lots of storage space (can remove stuff inside as necessary), have a lower access for gurneys at the back end. I believe most of them have external power outlets, so you wouldn't really need a generator - just leave the diesel motor idling. Will be quieter than a generator and you'd have air conditioning to rest in on the really hot days.
and If there is traffic on the way to the track, lights and siren go on.. Win Win

nutu5uda.jpg
qy6yqyne.jpg
uhune8y3.jpg
yvezyqas.jpg

Ohlins forks , new 3 piston calipers, gear indicator, woodcraft gp shift converter.
Waiting on new master, and fluid , then I'm ready for the season.
Just gotta learn how to keep up with the fast soar hooooolgans !

Ohlins forks , new 3 piston calipers, gear indicator, woodcraft gp shift converter.

Nice!

nutu5uda.jpg
yvezyqas.jpg

No quickshifter?

And please do not ride behind me while you learn to use GP shifting ;)

Back
Top Bottom