What are you reading? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are you reading?

Took the plunge on Erikson.....got very engaged quickly as I've had a few reads over the decades.....quite the writer but I can see how challenging for first time around reader. Some talk about a GoT type series but would billions to produce.

Reading Mick Herron’s Slow Horses series. Book 1. Happy to find that the book is well written and the Apple series faithfully follows the book too.

On a side note I found that the US Amazon kindle store had a bunch of deals so I picked up a few John Le Carre kindle books and a Michael Crighton book for about $2-3 a piece. Absolute bargains! Got a few other non-fiction ones for a few bucks a piece too. Things like public speaking tips etc.

I really like reading on the Kindle. It’s waterproof too so can read it in the bath!

Listening to this right now and close to 50%. Quite enjoying it.

1704801199986.png

I just wanted to confirm you all were saying the newer generation of Kindles are NOT locked only to Amazon books? One can download and read their own PDF/EPUB books? Last I recall they were locked and Kobo was effectively free use of whatever you had.

Listening to this right now and close to 50%. Quite enjoying it.

View attachment 65427

I just wanted to confirm you all were saying the newer generation of Kindles are NOT locked only to Amazon books? One can download and read their own PDF/EPUB books? Last I recall they were locked and Kobo was effectively free use of whatever you had.

My understanding is that using a desktop app you can manage all kinds of e-pubs on a kindle. I haven’t done that yet but I’ll try it at some point. Buying books from Amazon is just so damn convenient. One click and then the thing just appears on my Kindle.

Reading the war of art, looks like a page turner, a bit artsy but I like it
I've read bits of it and found it interesting. As I recall lots of it could pertain to life in general.

Just listened to this on a recommendation in this thread…wow…loved it. And I’d be lying if I didn’t admit to almost tearing up thinking of my kids in the position of the son…

IMG_3911.jpeg

McCarthy is a brilliant wordsmith and a very tough read as his world is so joyless. Not many writers of his class I won't tackle but his trilogy I simply abandoned bio.jbtfsplk.jpg
Currently on Book 3 of 10 of Malazan Book of the Fallen.

McCarthy is a brilliant wordsmith and a very tough read as his world is so joyless. Not many writers of his class I won't tackle but his trilogy I simply abandoned View attachment 65661
Currently on Book 3 of 10 of Malazan Book of the Fallen.
One thing that can break or make an audiobook is the narrator. This one was great.

I’d read it / listen to it again for sure. Good story, short, and pulled at the heart and actually made me worry about my children having to live through that ordeal.

They were never locked to Amazon only, at least in recent history. They just didn't accept ePub, wasn't a big deal as converting from ePub to Mobi (Amazon format) was super easy.

Now they accept ePub so things are even easier. Can email the book to yourself, transfer it with the Send To Kindle app, or maybe transfer it via USB. I just use the Send To Kindle app as it's super easy

Finally finished this a few min ago.

View attachment 65465

@oioioi ill drop it back off in the coming days.

It was a great read and looking forward to the next chapter.
Read quite a while ago. Just noticed the byline "chasing shadows across the world". Headed east their shadows were always behind them, go figure.

About halfway through this….all I can say is ‘wow’. Horrible story, but great writing…

1706498801990.png

The movie about the same event Society of Snow is terrific - I struggled with the book it was based on.
Might try the one you are into.
One thing I liked was the interviews with the survivors still alive.

When you finish Alive - try this
1706516501820.png

I just started Alive ...much easier read..

Last edited:
Ah Alive was very well crafted...a few tears even tho I knew the story well (y)
Back to Mazalan Book of the Fallen will take a few months.

Last edited:
Finished Book 3 of 10 - that was a challenge. Maybe too many interwoven tales at once....but what spectacle if they ever filmed it.

Maybe the hot weather will be finished when I finish the series...I wish.

Started listening to this Audiobook on a recommendation from BIL....very good.

1707400377470.png

Apparently there's an AppleTV series based on this, also good from what I'm hearing.

But the Audiobook file has some issues. It's jumped around back and forth for me a handful of times, so need to at least focus on which chapter it's on in case it happens again.

Back
Top Bottom