What are you reading? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are you reading?

Reading this right now, interesting and good, its basically an MBA for the price of a book, none of it applies to small businesses or mom and pop shops, but very relevant for any bigger companies:
1702439248658.png

Reading this as well, it is excellent, very very good book, super interesting, and in depth. It basically combines finance, commerce, economics, history and archeology. (heard about it from an interesting bbc podcast "50 things that made the modern economy")
1702439665729.png

Just finished reading a fact-novel on the situation in 1939 Palestine, not much has changed in 2023. The actors may have changed, the scenario is the same.

Ditto with the novel "Kursk", the war time strategy then in Ukraine is much the same as it is today, right down to the wrestling over the same city and area.

What is absolutely shocking is the casual disregard for life as described in the book "Operation Jubilee". The Canadian soldiers were sent to their demise in the name of political objective. The invasion of Dieppe had zero military value.

Just finished reading a fact-novel on the situation in 1939 Palestine, not much has changed in 2023. The actors may have changed, the scenario is the same.

Ditto with the novel "Kursk", the war time strategy then in Ukraine is much the same as it is today, right down to the wrestling over the same city and area.

What is absolutely shocking is the casual disregard for life as described in the book "Operation Jubilee". The Canadian soldiers were sent to their demise in the name of political objective. The invasion of Dieppe had zero military value.
Someone said earlier that Dieppe was a first draft, and plans were revised and improved, based upon the failures there; I hope they're right.

Someone said earlier that Dieppe was a first draft, and plans were revised and improved, based upon the failures there; I hope they're right.
Glad to see that there is another interest in Military history here, thank you for your valid comment!

That was the "escape" clause used by the organizers of that ill-fated raid.
Military strategists have said that such a rehearsal will have groomed the opposing force on what to expect and to make counter arrangements.
Mountbatten & Co mounted that op to convince the Russians to stay the course (Stalin, brushed that away) and to convince the US to agree that Opeation Torch (invasion of N. Africa) was better than a continental landing (which is what the US was in favor of).
There are other alternatives to achieving those aims rather than sending soldiers (from UK's "province", Canada) to a certain death.

Glad to see that there is another interest in Military history here, thank you for your valid comment!

That was the "escape" clause used by the organizers of that ill-fated raid.
Military strategists have said that such a rehearsal will have groomed the opposing force on what to expect and to make counter arrangements.
Mountbatten & Co mounted that op to convince the Russians to stay the course (Stalin, brushed that away) and to convince the US to agree that Opeation Torch (invasion of N. Africa) was better than a continental landing (which is what the US was in favor of).
There are other alternatives to achieving those aims rather than sending soldiers (from UK's "province", Canada) to a certain death.
I went and visited the beach and the cliffs. It looked like a terrible place to attack by sea.

I was appalled at the damage to the landscape that remained at Normandy....10' thick bunkers blown apart like eggshells from the naval guns and trenches showing there was fighting yards apart from the bunkers atop the cliffs.
A worth while visit.

Comic books from my childhood days during Communist Poland. SIL knew I wanted this so she sent a full collection my way last year.

@oioioi would know this well.

IMG_3384.jpeg

It’s racist, sexist, and all types of non politically correct jokes abound. Different times.

Matthew Perry memoir

Finished this book in 2 days.

Poorly edited, he jumps between timeline often, it's kind of difficult to keep a track. Also some content is repeated often and he contradicts himself in some of the stories.

But he is being honest and the reader can sense his remorse in the way he shares his struggle with addiction and alcoholism. He shares his earlier days growing up in Ottawa before moving to LA, how he had his first drink at 14.

Some of the events he shares were very personal but he doesn't hold back.

Not a typical best seller quality writing but I felt sorry for him once I finished the book.

RIP.
c977e82360af1f19fb5aaa2b0b723745.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

If someone wants a challenge....:eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_B ... the_Fallen
CAN be read individually but are best taking in the entire story arc which is enormous. The books are generally 6-900 pgs or so.
The series has received widespread critical acclaim, with reviewers praising the epic scope, plot complexity and characterizations, and fellow authors such as Glen Cook (The Black Company) and Stephen R. Donaldson (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant) hailing it as a masterwork of the imagination, and comparing Erikson to the likes of Joseph Conrad, Henry James, William Faulkner, and Fyodor Dostoevsky.[7][8][9]
There are some incredibly memorable characters....
The Malazan Book of the Fallen raises "the bar for fantasy literature", that the world building and the writing are exceptional.[47] Cilli claims the series is written for the "most advanced readers out there.", going on to state that "Even they will have to make two passes through all ten books to fully comprehend the myriad of plotlines, characters and various settings that Erickson presents to us." Reading Erikson's "The Malazan Book of the Fallen" might be "the most challenging literary trial" a reader has ever tried, yet "the payoff is too enormous to ignore and well worth taking on the endeavor. Steven Erikson doesn't spoon feed his readers. He forces you to question and think on a level that very few authors would even dare for fear of finding and perhaps losing an audience."[47]
if you are up for it. .....

Just got myself a kindle in the Boxing Day sales. Will see if it helps me read more. I don’t read as much as I should these days.

It is been pretty interesting reading competitive strategy, interesting to see how many big companies are basically like people, with their own strategies, fears and insecurities, the often contemptuous relationships with parent(companies) etc

It is been pretty interesting reading competitive strategy, interesting to see how many big companies are basically like people, with their own strategies, fears and insecurities, the often contemptuous relationships with parent(companies) etc
Any other book recommendations? Or just the two above?

Back
Top Bottom