We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot? | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot?

There's ORA (Ontario Rifle Association) that shoots on MIL ranges and costs $50. I shot with them in Kingston. They go to the 600-1000M ranges across Southern Ontario on weekends that the ranges aren't in use.

I used to shoot at FRPC in Kingston. I miss that club. Could go there and be the only one shooting on some days through the week.

http://www.ontariorifleassociation.ca/

Last edited:
I've been a member of HAHA for the past 3 years. Their rifle range is only 100 yards, but it's good enough for my needs. I also enjoy shooting my non-scoped toys at their 50 yard range.

Wow! If I had a PAL, instead of a POL, I would definitely consider that sucker. I've never seen an unrestricted bullpup design in Canada.

I thought it was pretty straight forward to upgrade a POL to PAL... why not just do it?

I decided I needed a semi-auto plinker to enjoy with my 12 year old son and his friends at the range. I already own a sweet Savage MKII BTVSS with a stainless heavy barrel and a very nice laminate thumbhole stock, which is a real tack driver (and 100 percent reliable), but being bolt-action, it doesn't lend itself to being a "bullet hose". This Ruger takedown is Stainless steel and has synthetic furniture meaning that the kids (and I) can have some worry-free fun. It came with a nice carry case, scope mount, sling, and some ridiculous metal safety bracket and over-sized padlock. Alot of bang for the buck! Cheers.

Ruger-10-22-Takedown_001.jpg

9339822068_e35d09b702_b.jpg

9339818706_f0305b7fdb_b.jpg

Oh, and this kit I can actually pack on my motorcycle for camping/plinking.

Triple, have you tried any of the higher capacity mags for the 10/22; if so, what sort of results have you had?

I picked up 1 butler creek steel lips, 1 butler creek hot lips, and a promag steel lips. None of them work very well.
The butler creek mags seemed to work okay once they were 1/2 full or less -- which kind of defeats the purpose of having a 25 round mag.

All of these mags fail to load once in awhile -- sometimes as bad as every second shot!

I have only tried remington ammo so far (hollow points) so I need to give other kinds a try.

I have replace the extractor with a titanium extractor, but I am not having an issue extracting, I am having a problem feeding the round from the mag into the barrel.

Any suggestions other than just buying more oem mags?

Triple, have you tried any of the higher capacity mags for the 10/22; if so, what sort of results have you had?

I picked up 1 butler creek steel lips, 1 butler creek hot lips, and a promag steel lips. None of them work very well.
The butler creek mags seemed to work okay once they were 1/2 full or less -- which kind of defeats the purpose of having a 25 round mag.

All of these mags fail to load once in awhile -- sometimes as bad as every second shot!

I have only tried remington ammo so far (hollow points) so I need to give other kinds a try.

I have replace the extractor with a titanium extractor, but I am not having an issue extracting, I am having a problem feeding the round from the mag into the barrel.

Lube the mags and leave them loaded for a few days. I have read that the springs are tough on them and start to work much better after a couple hundred rounds. So leaving them loaded may help with the spring tension. You could also try only loading 10 at a time and see if it improves your ftf rate.

I have the Butler Creek steel lips 25 round mag. never had a failure to feed with it.

I bought two aftermarket mags:

--Butler Creek 25 round
--Promag 32 round

I have yet to take them out of their packaging to try them out. I will let you guys know how they perform. I did test the rifle with the stock 10 round mag, and it feeds perfectly fine. Also, I am fairly new to the "rimfire scene", and I predominantly shoot centerfire, so I couldn't tell you what "lips" are on those damn magazines. All I know is that I paid $35.99 and $39.99 + tax respectfully for each maganzine, so they better work. I can tell you that my experience with aftermarket magazines on SKS's are less than positive, so I'm not holding my breath on these. As they say, "stock is best".

Last edited:
What ammo do you use?

Anything and everything. Usually whatever is on sale. I've also had Remington Yellowjackets and Eley ammo through it without problems.

BC parent company is Bushnell and they have no problem replacing defective mags. If you can't get them to work after a bit of break in just return them.

As stated above, store them maxed to get the spring broken in faster. Make sure you slap the magazine against your hand a few times to force the rounds backwards to ensure they are seating correctly before loading into the rifle and if that fails, see if the round is catching on the forward edge of the mag wall by pushing the round out with your thumb (simulate bolt pickup). If it is either send it back or take a tiny bit of material off that edge at a 45 degree angle to fix it.

Not sure if that's an issue with BC mags or not but I've done that to a few other kinds of magazines that were causing ftf.

Last edited:
Anything and everything. Usually whatever is on sale. I've also had Remington Yellowjackets and Eley ammo through it without problems.

I don't know why mine keeps failing then, but all three (BC steel lips, BC hot lips, and promag steel lips have failed consistently -- especially if I load the mag to capacity.

What appears to happen is the bullet end somehow ends up higher than the bore while the rim is still stuck in the mag. The bolt seems to hit the round when it is on an angle like this and the force ends up slightly crushing the bullet instead of pushing it into the barrel. Last time I was out I ended up with about a dozen rounds that had the bullet crushed in on one side. The other failure is sometimes a bullet jams in the mag and won't come to the top.

Did I somehow manage to end up with three duds? From the ratings and comments in Cabelas, these aftermarket mags seem to be pretty hit and miss with reliability.

Lube the mags and leave them loaded for a few days. I have read that the springs are tough on them and start to work much better after a couple hundred rounds. So leaving them loaded may help with the spring tension. You could also try only loading 10 at a time and see if it improves your ftf rate.

I'll give that a try. I have them all loaded up now and will have to get out in the next few days to see how it goes.

How crazy busy is Silverdale on the weekends?

I've only been there once, and despite it being around 0 degrees every bench was being used at the 100/200 yard range.
Am I crazy to even consider going on a summer weekend in July?

Nope. When you and me went that was how it is all the time...i've never had to wait for a bench and i went most weekends in july and august.

Ermahgard ish a barx!!!

Whats in the box!?!!?!

Wasn't expecting this until after the long weekend....

funny-brad-pitt-seven-box-scene.jpg

Opening now :)

Yay!

H&K SL 8-4

Came with a NEA Magwell adapter so I can use standard USGI type magazines (Magpul, LAR etc.) instead of the really expensive and hard to find H&K ones.

Popped an old 3X9 Fullfield II scope on it for now.

NR version of the G36. Lots of conversion parts out there to make it a G36 clone but I'm going to fight that urge as long as I can.

Taking it up to Muskoka for some break in :)

Have to pass EPPS on the way. Might be too hard to avoid stopping in for a few things. :(

Back
Top Bottom