Usless / unnecessary bike tech | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Usless / unnecessary bike tech

How about BMWs that use three separate buttons to work the signals instead of one like most bikes. Or the BMW with the ignition on the side of the headlight ear - then to reduce wind drag on the head of the key, the key folds. Engineers gone wild....

How about BMWs that use three separate buttons to work the signals instead of one like most bikes.
Hmmmmm? What model do you speak of.

Only ever seen Harleys with 1 button on each side of the bar for left/right.

K bikes
How about BMWs that use three separate buttons to work the signals instead of one like most bikes. Or the BMW with the ignition on the side of the headlight ear - then to reduce wind drag on the head of the key, the key folds. Engineers gone wild....
Those signals also have an an auto cancel that uses your speedometer to know if you have gone far enough to cancel the signal.
I love my folding key, I played with it by the hour and it still works.
How about the side stand that operates off a cable, so it retracts when you pull the clutch in.
Motor that spins in the opposite direction of the transmission to compensate for the longitudinal motors lateral forces

Me no like. Too many times others have violated my lane and force me to move towards the shoulder. Imagine the car, deciding that that wasn't a good idea, and swerving me back to sideswipe the other vehicle. Some times the other vehicle was a truck. It would only be of benefit, if everyone had it.

It’s not that forceful. Just a slight nudge on the wheel to assist but if you are intending to change lanes you will.

Now TBH I’ve only experienced the tech in one vehicle. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

It’s not that forceful. Just a slight nudge on the wheel to assist but if you are intending to change lanes you will.

Now TBH I’ve only experienced the tech in one vehicle. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
Someone above claimed that they were using it to drive around curves.
I have a feature that beeps at me if I leave the lane. It doesn't touch the steering at all.
There are too many wide load trucks on the highways for the tech to go much further, without a major upgrade to the brains of the system.

Hmmmmm? What model do you speak of.

Older R-bikes (R1200GS/RT/R/RS) had a left turn button on the left handlebar, a right turn button on the right and a separate cancel button also on the right.

I think they went to a single switch like the rest of the manufacturers when they went liquid-cooled in 2012/2013.

I kinda like the old-style. It was unique.

That turn signal mess grows on you. I really liked it once I got used to it. Now, the next bike didnt appreciate it when I hit the starter trying to signal right.

All of the older BMWs used that separate left and right turn signal switch system since the beginning of time. Basically BMW did it the way they always did it and refused to get dragged along when (almost) everyone else used a single switch on the left handlebar. As someone used to Japanese bikes, BMW's old turn signal switch setup drove me NUTS on the 2007-ish F800ST that I had as a rental once upon a time.

I think BMW changed over to match everyone else when the S1000RR was introduced - they probably realised that if they wanted to get customers who previously bought other brands, they would have to get with the program and do this little thing the way everyone else was doing it.

plus the right hand is doing other important stuff

Reactions: J_F
plus the right hand is doing other important stuff
facts.

changing modes, heated grips, thumbing my nose at SuperSport riders trying to stretch out on the highway, etc.

All of the older BMWs used that separate left and right turn signal switch system since the beginning of time. Basically BMW did it the way they always did it and refused to get dragged along when (almost) everyone else used a single switch on the left handlebar. As someone used to Japanese bikes, BMW's old turn signal switch setup drove me NUTS on the 2007-ish F800ST that I had as a rental once upon a time.

I think BMW changed over to match everyone else when the S1000RR was introduced - they probably realised that if they wanted to get customers who previously bought other brands, they would have to get with the program and do this little thing the way everyone else was doing it.
Honda swapped the horn and turn signal switches on some of their models.
If I beep at you while on a Honda, I probably don't mean it; I'm just cancelling my signal.

If I beep at you while on a Honda, I probably don't mean it; I'm just cancelling my signal.
I never thought about that long enough to figure out why it was happening, I figured I was just hugely fat-fingering the controls

The crf250Rally i had for a year was like that. Horrible design. The engineer responsible for that one is prolly in the mail room.

How about useful etch? Like the self cancelling signals on my 86 Wing. Driving along, unknowingly signalling a turn you're not going to make can be dangerous if a cager thinks it's your intended move.

That was another better idea from Ford. Twice I had people back into me in parking lots because I was busy smacking the center of the steering wheel instead of depressing the turn signal stalk. (80's Mustang or LTD... maybe both)

^ I think Aprilia did that, too.

my Capo has a weird arrangement
where the signal switch would normally be
exactly where you left thumb naturally moves to if you've ridden Japanese bikes
is a left-right rocker to scroll through the trip meter stuff

under that, and in a very unnatural position, is the signal switch
horn button under that and it's very close to the signal switch
took months to get all that sorted by habit

I think HD still has the signal buttons on either handlebar
and they self-cancel

My '84 Magna had self cancelling signals. They get gummed up after a while and need a good cleaning or they stop working.

When people are taking the M2X course with self-cancelling signals, they are told to cancel them manually, as they don't always cancel at the appropriate time.

Back
Top Bottom