Usless / unnecessary bike tech | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Usless / unnecessary bike tech

> 200 HP ADV with less torque than the current V twin MTS
makes zero sense to me, but they will fly off the shelves no doubt

Let's be honest. Of all the "ADV-styled" bikes out there, the MTS is the least likely to ever leave the pavement. Those seeking out tractor-like torque at low-revs are not the target demographic.

It's basically just a really comfortable sportbike. Similar to the S1000XR.

Let's be honest. Of all the "ADV-styled" bikes out there, the MTS is the least likely to ever leave the pavement. Those seeking out tractor-like torque at low-revs are not the target demographic.

Agree. Think of it as a sportbike for bad roads. Hell, it may even be faster than a sportbike on bad roads as it is better able to deal with crap while maintaining tire contact.

Exactly.Most ADV bikes are just "standard" bikes with a few little mods.No different than most 4X4 SUV's that never use their 4 wheel drive.(which isn't 4 wheel drive anyway)

Agree. Think of it as a sportbike for bad roads. Hell, it may even be faster than a sportbike on bad roads as it is better able to deal with crap while maintaining tire contact.
Had a little air on the spirited ride on Saturday. Crested a hill at...speeds we shall not discuss and when I landed I felt the rear squirm.

First clenching moment on the XR. ?

Had a little air on the spirited ride on Saturday. Crested a hill at...speeds we shall not discuss and when I landed I felt the rear squirm.

The happiest street bike I ever had in the air was an old nighthawk. It was just so happy and stable while flying. I was always a little concerned that it would collapse upon landing though. The BMW was horrendous as it would shake like a mofo when you landed. The Ape was pretty heavy to jump and required the most speed to get it to launch, not a great combination.

As for your squirm, that kind of thing concerns me with active suspension. Does it make the same changes every time you jump, or will you constantly be guessing how it will behave when you land? Maybe my concern is misplaced and active is always better than passive but I hate having two brains in charge of the bike and no clear division of roles.

I just discovered that Lane Departure Assist in some cars will annoyingly tug on the steering wheel to keep you in your lane if you try to change lanes without signalling.

As a motorcyclist I think this is The. Best. Feature. Ever.

Make it mandatory on every single car and truck manufactured from now on and make sure the driver can't turn it off.

Yes, I have this on my new SUV. It's a neat feature. I did a hands off sweeping turn at about 90 kph and it kept the vehicle in the lane, not that I intend to drive hands off, but I wanted to see how it worked. It also has a sensor mode for driver attentiveness. Aside from keeping you in the lane if certain inputs are absent it will provide a "wake up" audible message as well as vibrate the steering wheel.

When you think about the number of crashes where someone drifts across the centerline, either because they are drunk, distracted, asleep or plain incompetent, this is good technology.

I like that tech as well for driving ....far more relaxing especially where traffic is dense but at speed ...set your distance and lane and relax. It is tempting to take hands off but the Nissan would not allow it for more than a few seconds. Made the drive to NASA much more relaxing.
The only annoyance was playing hide and seek with the keyfob. ?

For bikes ...one reason I like both the CB500x and the CBF1000 are the lack of gadgets. C-ABS on the CBF1000 is terrific and the CB500x is about as plain as you can get these days.

hehe

of course everything has downsides

4f69ff_3fd495f817544955a4af5980b5307e7b.jpg

Keep in mind that you need to keep your license squeaky clean if you're going to teach.

Keep in mind that you need to keep your license squeaky clean if you're going to teach.
indeed, this was far from anything resembling civilization.

Yes, I have this on my new SUV. It's a neat feature. I did a hands off sweeping turn at about 90 kph and it kept the vehicle in the lane, not that I intend to drive hands off, but I wanted to see how it worked. It also has a sensor mode for driver attentiveness. Aside from keeping you in the lane if certain inputs are absent it will provide a "wake up" audible message as well as vibrate the steering wheel.

When you think about the number of crashes where someone drifts across the centerline, either because they are drunk, distracted, asleep or plain incompetent, this is good technology.
Me no like. Too many times others have violated my lane and force me to move towards the shoulder. Imagine the car, deciding that that wasn't a good idea, and swerving me back to sideswipe the other vehicle. Some times the other vehicle was a truck. It would only be of benefit, if everyone had it.

Me no like. Too many times others have violated my lane and force me to move towards the shoulder. Imagine the car, deciding that that wasn't a good idea, and swerving me back to sideswipe the other vehicle. Some times the other vehicle was a truck. It would only be of benefit, if everyone had it.

It doesn't work that way at all. If you drift into another lane without signaling then it gives you an audible signal and vibrating feedback through the steering wheel. The driver can ignore this continue on into the other lane, the system doesn't override operator inputs. If you swerve to avoid a vehicle the system does nothing to prevent this. However, as above, if you unintentionally drift into another lane then the audible signal and the vibrating steering wheel alerts you to this and prompts you take corrective action.

It doesn't work that way at all. If you drift into another lane without signaling then it gives you an audible signal and vibrating feedback through the steering wheel. The driver can ignore this continue on into the other lane, the system doesn't override operator inputs. If you swerve to avoid a vehicle the system does nothing to prevent this. However, as above, if you unintentionally drift into another lane then the audible signal and the vibrating steering wheel alerts you to this and prompts you take corrective action.

It does try to override your inputs. I've driven Toyotas and VW's with the tech, both of them will push back against your steering input if it detects crossing the line without your signal on. You can easily overcome it, but if you don't signal it will first give you a warning then it will steer back. Scared the hell out of me the first time I tried to go into the left turn lane without my signal on. I found the Toyota to be very aggressive in trying to "correct" your line. And it gets confused easily if you are driving in lanes that aren't straight, eg. shifted lanes for construction. That's the one feature I always turn off.

I found the Toyota to be very aggressive in trying to "correct" your line. And it gets confused easily if you are driving in lanes that aren't straight, eg. shifted lanes for construction. That's the one feature I always turn off.

My experience with Toyota Safety Sense has been in rental cars, and it's essentially unpredictable. If there is a nice solid painted line on both sides of your lane, it works. No painted line on the right side (e.g. just a drop-off or guard-rail or ditch or vegetation)? doesn't work. Line covered in sand/snow? doesn't work. Paint badly worn? sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Line interrupted while crossing a junction, it shouldn't work, but line interrupted because there's a driveway entering the road? doesn't work. Useless. Basically it works when you don't need it and it doesn't work when it might serve a purpose. It isn't good enough to save a drunk or a cell-phone-yapper from themselves - just delay their crash until there's an interruption in the paint markings.

Back
Top Bottom