Traffic!!!! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Traffic!!!!

I hear ya, the traffic in this place is insane.

A few weeks back I worked day shift for once... finished at 4pm in Mississauga, took me over an hour to get to Trafalgar road when things finally started to open up -- and that was using Waze to help calculate the optimal route, making right turns plus a u-turn to avoid long left turn lines, etc...

Just yesterday, at about 2:30pm, I was trying to go from Dixie/Eglinton area up to Princess Auto -- a 5 minute drive with no traffic. I gave up before getting to Matheson and just went to Sayal instead... it would have taken me over a 1/2 hour to go that short distance due to Dixie being under construction.

I no longer remember what actual traffic is like, although it once took me almost a half hour to go three blocks along Front.

I was picking up a friend in Don Mills and then on from there. I definitely not paying for the 407 robbers! And it was 3:30pm when I was crossing the 401 not 5pm.

I won't pay for the 407 either. Many other more fun routes.

3:30 is the new 5:00 in Toronto. So is 7:00 pm

I moved to Toronto about 8 months ago and it was literally the worst thing to have happened to my riding.

It's a fight to get in and out of the city at almost all hours of any day. Riding in the city is an exercise in obstacle avoidance and feels like playing Russian roulette.

It has already claimed the life of my beloved VFR750

I can't wait for my lease to be over so I can move outta here :sad1:

Although I'm not in the downtown core, traffic and distance from anything mildly interesting is one of the reasons I typically visit the parents in Courtice on weekends in the summer if I have no plans, then use their place as a staging grounds of sorts.

city riding tips : offensive riding is safer than defensive in the city, avoid major streets in rush hour, filter filter filter, stay away from the 401

Not sure if joking or being serious. Thread is about traffic in Toronto...if you don't want to obey the laws, then maybe you can dodge some of it but don't cry if and when you eventually get caught (or someone merges into you). Also if you advocate riding offensively vs defensively...just remember even legally right and wrong doesn't matter if you go toe to toe with a vehicle 10x your size and weight....you will lose.

OP was going from Woodbridge to Port Perry. Not sure why he would be anywhere near the 401.

I've been commuting by bike for the last 8 years, including 401. Except when its stop and go, bike is sooo much better than car. The ability to use small openings and quick acceleration to work thru traffic (even without splitting) is great. Makes my commute almost enjoyable. Certainly better than in a car. And as mbroyda says, its great for getting around in town.

I would agree. Even in lousy traffic--you're still on a bike, which is 100% awesome, even if it gets a bit hot sometimes. However, the 401 is still Satan's lovechild.

Although I'm not in the downtown core, traffic and distance from anything mildly interesting is one of the reasons I typically visit the parents in Courtice on weekends in the summer if I have no plans, then use their place as a staging grounds of sorts.

Not sure if joking or being serious. Thread is about traffic in Toronto...if you don't want to obey the laws, then maybe you can dodge some of it but don't cry if and when you eventually get caught (or someone merges into you). Also if you advocate riding offensively vs defensively...just remember even legally right and wrong doesn't matter if you go toe to toe with a vehicle 10x your size and weight....you will lose.

not joking at all, my style or riding isnt perfect, and maybe its not for everyone but its kept me safe for over a decade so I don't see a point in changing it

thank you for your concern

Even traffic/gps gizmo's no longer help when there's traffic everywhere.

Is there anything worse than sitting on your bike sweating your balls off in traffic, and a single bicycle goes by in the vacant stupid bicycle lane that sucked up a lane of traffic in what used to be a decently moving rush hour road?

You Toronto idiots keep voting the vehicle hating Neo-Libtards in and ruining it for the rest of the province, what did you expect?

I would agree. Even in lousy traffic--you're still on a bike, which is 100% awesome, even if it gets a bit hot sometimes. However, the 401 is still Satan's lovechild.

I think the same way, until one time I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and the car in the lane beside me got rear ended really really hard. I could feel the impact beside me.

Suddenly I felt very very vulnerable. :confused1:

For the past few years when I am leaving Toronto for a motorcycle run, my start time is 5:30 AM.
It used to be 6 AM, but the traffic has already started by then.
Afternoon rush hour now starts at 2 PM. Check the traffic cameras on the DVP if you don't believe me.

I think the same way, until one time I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and the car in the lane beside me got rear ended really really hard. I could feel the impact beside me.

Suddenly I felt very very vulnerable. :confused1:

filtering would have saved you from that

For the past few years when I am leaving Toronto for a motorcycle run, my start time is 5:30 AM.
It used to be 6 AM, but the traffic has already started by then.
Afternoon rush hour now starts at 2 PM. Check the traffic cameras on the DVP if you don't believe me.

I commute from Barrie to Toronto every day leaving my house at 5:30 and even within the past year or two I have noticed a big jump in the amount of traffic there is when leaving at that time. Coming home I have to either leave around 4 or just wait till 6 and even then it's still pretty heavy but at least tolerable.

Doing the commute in the summer during rush hr on an oil cooled bike sucks hard.

Even traffic/gps gizmo's no longer help when there's traffic everywhere.

Waze would be next level if you could indicate you are HOV eligible, ie tell it how many passengers, what type of vehicle.
I find just going Don Mills Road to Lawrence or York Mills almost always beats DVP if you can use HOV.
Waze doesn't know what I'm doing so no doubt it's directing plenty of traffic to follow me that can't use the HOV.

Im used to it..although its not horrible... My commute would be 20m without traffic, turns out to be anywhere between 35m to 45m which is less than my hour door to door commute by transit + Go Train

And yeah ive gotten a LOT more aggressive by riding in Toronto traffic... you snooze you lose (time).
I don't advocate filtering and splitting though, although id love for it to be legal

yeah ive gotten a LOT more aggressive by riding in Toronto traffic... you snooze you lose (time).
I don't advocate filtering and splitting though, although id love for it to be legal

Please don't; the soapbox brigade will be alone soon to tell stories of great piles of dead babies in far away lane-split legal lands

Please don't; the soapbox brigade will be alone soon to tell stories of great piles of dead babies in far away lane-split legal lands

There's reasons for and against. Sometimes one side seems greater than the other, just depends on who's running their mouth at the time.

Im used to it..although its not horrible... My commute would be 20m without traffic, turns out to be anywhere between 35m to 45m which is less than my hour door to door commute by transit + Go Train

It doesn't sound like much, but it translates to about 10 days a year for the extra 20-25 mins. per commute ..... we pay all dearly for the ineffective and chaotic transportation environment of GTA.

How can anyone (living in To for at least 1 year) find it surprising about traffic on the 401 or DVP during rush periods?
DVP is busy until 11pm going south and easily North most of the times.

401 traffic is just bonkers starting at 3pm both directions.

I really and truly do not know how you people do this daily.
You are literally spending your life sitting in traffic. Add up the time over a YEAR and you might be surprised.

Back
Top Bottom