The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread | Page 167 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread

I have my levers and GPS stem mount in the mail on their way, and I'm planning on tearing my headlights apart to do some cool lighting upgrades (angel eyes, projectors, HIDs) this winter too. I was going to do rear sets, but I looked closely the other night and I actually have a vortex rear set...and no that's not a typo lol, it's only on the left side that the guy before me installed it. Maybe I'll get a matching one for the right side if it's not ridiculously expensive

In case you guys haven't heard:

GUELPH – Local motorcyclists should be asking for quieter exhaust pipes for Christmas.A city committee this week approved an amendment to the noise bylaw which will allow the city to regulate the decibel output of two-wheelers and charge owners whose machines exceed the acceptable level.
Staff is proposing a $300 fine.
The bylaw amendment, if approved by city councillors next Monday, will come into effect in the spring.
Staff is recommending the use of a roadside test – known as SAE J2825 – developed by the Society of Automotive Engineers. The test requires all motorcycles to emit no more than 92 decibels while idling, and not more than 100 decibels while running at a set RPM level.
One hundred decibels represents the same noise level as standing beside a jackhammer, said Luc Fournier, director of government relations with the Motorcycle and Moped Industry Council.
The city consulted with the council in setting the standard.
“As an industry . . . we want to be part of the solution,” Fournier told the committee.
He said every motorcycle sold new in Canada already meets noise guidelines similar to SAE J2825.
“Problems only happen when people make their own alterations,” Fournier said.
A staff report noted while some motorcyclists believe excessively-loud exhaust systems offer protection to riders, there is no evidence to support this.
“In staff’s opinion, visibility through proper attire along with proper and safe driving practices affords the best protection for motorcyclists,” the report reads.
Susan Ratcliffe, one of two residents who prompted the changes when she complained to the committee about loud motorcycles in late 2011, joked this week she is looking forward to “flocks of Hells Angels wearing bright pink vests driving through Guelph making not a sound.”
Barry Bowman, who lives near the intersection of Victoria and Woodlawn roads, said in the summer it is “almost impossible” to use his backyard because of the “constant drone” of traffic on those arterial roads.
Doug Godfrey, the city’s manager of bylaw compliance and security, said officers will have to have reasonable grounds for laying an offence, which will likely require the bike to be running.
He does not know if the bylaw will allow officers to force an owner to start a motorcycle for the purpose of testing.
“We need to be able to effectively act on complaints,” Coun. Bob Bell said.

Source: http://www.guelphmercury.com/news/l...rs-should-ask-santa-for-quieter-exhaust-pipes

I wrote a strongly-worded e-mail to my council reps and mayor about this today....it looks like they make the decision on Monday about it. If any one wants to write them but doesn't know who to send it to, just let me know :) Every bit makes a difference!

I agree with this bylaw. 100dB is easy to pass with most aftermarket sportbike pipes. We used to have to do this test at Cayuga for track days back in 2003/2004. I never saw anybody fail, and we had to rev to redline. The fixed RPM test won't be redline. I have some neighbours with straight piped cruisers and their bikes idling, warming up, are loud enough that I have to pause the show if I'm watching TV.

I agree with this bylaw. 100dB is easy to pass with most aftermarket sportbike pipes. We used to have to do this test at Cayuga for track days back in 2003/2004. I never saw anybody fail, and we had to rev to redline. The fixed RPM test won't be redline. I have some neighbours with straight piped cruisers and their bikes idling, warming up, are loud enough that I have to pause the show if I'm watching TV.

My concern is how on earth am I supposed to know if my bike hits 100dB or not? Also, who's going to be enforcing this? If it's just by-law officers, I'm not worried, but if its the police, then I don't really feel like having another excuse to get pulled over. I hear you on the piped cruisers...they're annoying, but I think I have some valid points

My concern is how on earth am I supposed to know if my bike hits 100dB or not? Also, who's going to be enforcing this? If it's just by-law officers, I'm not worried, but if its the police, then I don't really feel like having another excuse to get pulled over. I hear you on the piped cruisers...they're annoying, but I think I have some valid points

100dB is really loud. I wouldn't expect a sport bike to go over that except maybe with deceleration pops. What kind of pipe do you have? Bad ones would be some D&D's, small can Hindle's, some of those new Two Bro's shorties are annoyingly loud, but still I don't think they would get over 100dB.

100dB is really loud. I wouldn't expect a sport bike to go over that except maybe with deceleration pops. What kind of pipe do you have? Bad ones would be some D&D's, small can Hindle's, some of those new Two Bro's shorties are annoyingly loud, but still I don't think they would get over 100dB.

It's a full LeoVince (headers back) it doesn't seem too loud to me, but as I said, I have no idea what 100dB is equivalent to? I'm also partially deaf from listening to music entirely too loud ;)

It's a full LeoVince (headers back) it doesn't seem too loud to me, but as I said, I have no idea what 100dB is equivalent to? I'm also partially deaf from listening to music entirely too loud ;)

From what I've heard of LeoVince systems I would guess you have nothing to worry about.

Guess Babs and her HMF would have been pushing the limits for sure..... V-Twins have that wonderful rumble for sure.

kawigirl - what kind of music (please don't say house, techno or other such crap - hehehe)

I can do some noise testing for you guys if you're concerned.

We should, for fun. I'm curious to see how loud my neighbour's RM-Z250 is (full Yosh exhaust).

Guess Babs and her HMF would have been pushing the limits for sure..... V-Twins have that wonderful rumble for sure.

kawigirl - what kind of music (please don't say house, techno or other such crap - hehehe)

Just about everything except for hard core country, or any of that weird folky-polka, or blue grass type stuff. Sorry to dissapoint but yes, I do love house music, but I also listen to everything from classical to heavy metal and everything in between....except the crap listed above :)

I'm in!

There's a DB app for iPhones lol

That might work lol

#146 - ramp tramp to track day tramp.

I'd be interested to know. I do not have one of those fancy portable telephones the kids today have.

Anyone else planning on joining us track day riders in any way, shape or form? Track school, track bike or even just showing up to watch for a bit?

I plan to join up to Grand Bend track days or TMP - I am sure I will see Rick at the DOCC track dates too for Mosport and the 2 x Calabogie dates.

Jer

TMP has a deal until dec.24, 3 weekdays @$255 or 3 weekend @$300

Just thought I'd give you guys the heads up for those who don't already know...City councillors voted 'yes' on the motorcycle noise by-law in Guelph

100db is pretty loud. I think my SV with the M4 would even pass :)

#146 - ramp tramp to track day tramp.

Not much of a savings really - I would rather keep the money and make sure they are
going to be operating and I like to pay at the gate making sure the weather is decent !

TMP has a deal until dec.24, 3 weekdays @$255 or 3 weekend @$300

Back
Top Bottom