"The Beer Store’s secret sweetheart deal with LCBO revealed" - says The Star | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

"The Beer Store’s secret sweetheart deal with LCBO revealed" - says The Star

Re: "The Beer Store’s secret sweetheart deal with LCBO revealed" - says The Star

Again the beer store doesn't have the monopoly the Lcbo says we can only sell beer no spirits or ciders.

If we sell same cans as Lcbo you'll notice beer store doesn't get it shipment as the Lcbo will kit ship to us if it's on sale and we buy all the foreign beer from them. So that's a monopoly.

Re: "The Beer Store’s secret sweetheart deal with LCBO revealed" - says The Star

Not true if your paying more for 4x6 of the same beer say Corona for example at the beer store your paying the wrong price and talk to the manager.

We charge same price for a 12 or 24 if you buy it by 2x6 or 4x6 as long as it's same beer.
http://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/canadian

6x341ml - 11.50
24x341ml - 33.95

I'm not math wiz, but 4x11.50 isn't $33.95.

Your right we sell it cheaper then Lcbo where you will pay 4x6 so that would be $46

And again the Lcbo sets the prices what don't people get. The beer store can't set the pricing the Brewers set it.

Canadian is on sale right now and it's always cheaper to buy more not less

Between 3 of the Brewers not just one

So, is beer any cheaper in Quebec?

Do the Brewers control pricing across the Country,
or is everything just by supply and demand?

LCBO selling larger quantities won't necessarily mean lower consumer prices.

Plus you have to factor in that they sell mostly liquor and wine etc.,
and need the space for that inventory.

So, is beer any cheaper in Quebec?
Generally, yes. They have less tax on their alcohol which also influences the over the counter price.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1140421/whats-a-24-of-molson-cost-a-pan-canadian-comparison/

Do the Brewers control pricing across the Country,
or is everything just by supply and demand?
Every province sets pricing differently.

LCBO selling larger quantities won't necessarily mean lower consumer prices.
It would be the same price at the LCBO as it would be at the beer store. Just more available.

Under the provincial Liquor Control Act, prices for the same beer product are uniform at all retail outlets where the beer is available (including LCBO stores, TBS stores and agency
stores).

The beer store exists these days to process empties, if the LCBO sold 24's and processed empties the Beer store would disappear. Its not a space concern for LCBO, they could build new stores the size of a Loblaws store if required, but the beer store has a many decades old pension plan to run and hundreds of commercial properties and thousands of employees. Pushing it out of business would be very bad for the Ontario economy. Its old school economics and politics.
Add to the fact that the Brewers controlling the beer store are all foreign owned , Interbrew, Sapporo and that other guy makes the idea that the beer store is run as a not for profit comical. The business model may be cover salaries and overheads and pensions, but I can guarantee there are some smart guys looking after the books, and there is a no charity.

"Plus you have to factor in that they sell mostly liquor and wine etc.,
and need the space for that inventory." - Baggsy

Ding Ding Ding...;) I like this answer.

Last edited:

The beer store exists these days to process empties, if the LCBO sold 24's and processed empties the Beer store would disappear
I kind of forgot about the processing of the empties...good point! (though that could be done off site or contracted out anyways)

Well in my 25 plus years I have not seen the profit made and have few people I know way up in the company that are some the big wigs now.

The profit goes right to the stakeholders in the breweries. Not the beer store.
As for the empties the Lcbo was given the chance to build new stores or renovate and they chose to do neither. Our mayor at the time the idiot miller thought that when he said you could put your returns in the blue box the city would make about 50% but it turned into a 98% return rate to the beer store.

The beer store already has a recycling store that takes everything and they are planning on expanding it. When I say everything I mean batteries, pop bottles etc. Not just beer and wine.

So again Lcbo had the chance to take empties but their reasoning? Didn't want to do it to much added work. Which is a laugh ad they have 2 times as many staff on doing nothing anyways.
Anyone that think taking back returns is easy should take a part time job at store and see how long they hold their stomach with what comes in that has nothing to do with beer or spirit returns.

Well in my 25 plus years I have not seen the profit made and have few people I know way up in the company that are some the big wigs now.

The profit goes right to the stakeholders in the breweries. Not the beer store.
As for the empties the Lcbo was given the chance to build new stores or renovate and they chose to do neither. Our mayor at the time the idiot miller thought that when he said you could put your returns in the blue box the city would make about 50% but it turned into a 98% return rate to the beer store.

The beer store already has a recycling store that takes everything and they are planning on expanding it. When I say everything I mean batteries, pop bottles etc. Not just beer and wine.

So again Lcbo had the chance to take empties but their reasoning? Didn't want to do it to much added work. Which is a laugh ad they have 2 times as many staff on doing nothing anyways.
Anyone that think taking back returns is easy should take a part time job at store and see how long they hold their stomach with what comes in that has nothing to do with beer or spirit returns.

What does a mayor of a city have to do with a provincial organization?

I was pointing all levels were involved

It's no longer the in and out store that I knew and loved. :(

So as you say, profits go to the stake holders - 3 foreign multinationals.
Correct but not the beer store. So the Beef with the LCBO, government and the stake holders -3 foreign multinationals

It's no longer the in and out store that I knew and loved. :(

Well the beer store did a survey and according to the Public they wanted rid of that style of In and out store and for it to be more like the LCBO Myself and loads of other employees didn't want the change but Joe pubic did.

Back
Top Bottom