The "Are you thinking of a new bike for 2024?" discussion thread. | Page 18 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "Are you thinking of a new bike for 2024?" discussion thread.

Last weekend, I went to see a Monster 1200. When I sit on the bike, my upper body and wrist feel ok, but I didn't expect my knees to feel that cramped; I think the main reason for it is that my freaking belly was n the way.

I would like the opinion of someone who has a normal body type and has owned/ridden a monster. Do you find it uncomfortable for rides of 300+ km per day?

The motorcycle isn't for me; it's for my dad who lives in my home country. He wants to buy a motorcycle here so that we can go for rides together when he visits.

Currently, he's set on getting a Ducati. Unfortunately, he's vertically challenged and only measures 1.60 meters (that's about 5'3) in height, and he doesn't feel confident when stopping if he can't put his two feet on the ground. That's why I'm considering a Monster or a Diavel, as the Scrambler is out of the question due to his dislike for it.

Comfort is so subjective. The only person who will be able to tell if a particular bike is comfortable or not is your dad.

Is there a Monster 1200 for sale in your dad's country that he can sit on? Even a current MY Monster might have the same ergos if he walks into a dealer and asks to sit on one.

Aftermarket seats and wind protection make a huge difference in comfort and being able to ride long distances. The most common mods on used bikes are seat and shield, so depending on the bike you're looking at, these might play a larger role in comfort but will be bike-specific.

I'm only a couple of inches taller than your dad and IMO short legs are a blessing both on bikes and airplane seats. My knees are never bent uncomfortably and when riding off-road, the transition between sitting and standing is almost seamless:

"You should stand up when riding off-road!"
"F*ck you! I am!" 😡😡😡

Last edited:
Been considering moving up to a more touring-friendly bike with great value, specifically the Kawasaki VN1700 Vaquero or the more passenger-friendly Voyager. I'd get used (5-10 yrs old) although the new ones in the pics are $21.6k and $22.8k. Love my Thunderbird but it could be better for 2-up riding.

I hear you need to put an Ivan tune on them to really wake them up, otherwise kinda slow, and I'd definitely do that as well as a set of slip-ons I'm guessing for a bit more rumble.

Anyone have any experience?

Pics of both models:

View attachment 67359

I just sold my Voyager a few months ago, exact same bike as the second picture basically. This thread was born out of the hunt for my new ride actually lol.

I owned it for three riding seasons and put something like 70,000 km on it, would’ve been more but last year was a bad year, and honestly it was a great bike - I had many great adventures on it.

Only reason I sold it was ergonomics. I am not a small guy, and I have long legs as well, and it just never felt….”right”. I’m in the minority as most love them.

They’re Timex’s so far as reliability, parts are easy to find as they have been basically unchanged since 2011 (literally, except for paint colours, they’re identical), and there is a reasonable amount of aftermarket farkles available for it too.

1713901698216.jpeg

Ask me anything.

Wow, too ironic ... just went back to page 1 and sure enough, the same bike albeit a 2019.

Did you ever ride the Vaquero at all? Someone selling one (but also owns the Voyager, which he's keeping) said the suspension is better on the Voyager, which makes sense as it's gotta handle the extra weight - he's suggesting I hunt for a Voyager (honest guy).

How's the get up and go?

Comfy bike?

No heated grips from the factory ... assume someone makes them.

I like the Yamaha you replaced it with ... don't think they make those anymore - tell me how the 2 compare.

Thanks!

Did you ever ride the Vaquero at all? Someone selling one (but also owns the Voyager, which he's keeping) said the suspension is better on the Voyager, which makes sense as it's gotta handle the extra weight - he's suggesting I hunt for a Voyager (honest guy).

They're more or less the same bike aside from top vs side opening bags, lack of top box and a different seat setup. Mixed info out there on if they have different gearing, but not really sure. I'm 90% sure the suspension and everything else is identical, so any differences your friend noticed may have been simply because one vs the other had more or less air in the rear shocks at the time.

If you're touring, hands down the Voyager will be the better bike. A lot of people who bought Vaq's want to add the top box later on for touring (once you had one, you won't want to not have one), so you might as well just buy the Voyager to start.

How's the get up and go?

Not bad. If you've never owned a V-Twin you'll have to adjust to much lower RPM's as they're all torque, not horsepower. A common mod on these bikes is the Ivan tune, it resolves some rideability issues, mainly 6th gear / OD being functionally useless below 100KPH, as well as a "mushy" throttle feel that bothers some people because they're throttle-by-wire. Also decel pop if you have aftermarket pipes. Some don't care about any of this stuff, some do. Beware, the Ivan tune requires premium fuel however...otherwise, they run on regular 87.

It's not a powerhouse, but it can get up and go just fine for a 900+# bike. It wouldn't hold a candle to my new bike however, although the SV has just a vastly bigger engine as well, so I guess that shouldn't be surprising.

Comfy bike?

Yes, for the most part. If you have longer legs and a shorter torso like me, YMMV however. Some love the stock seat, others hate it. It's one of those things where you'll just have to commit and see what happens. For me, after 600-700km in a day I really struggled with the ergos however, it just felt cramped to me and just never felt quite right. I think I touched on it all on page 1 of this thread IIRC. Or somewhere here.

It comes down to your build/size, and how far an average / big day of riding is for you as well.

As with all bikes, YMMV.

No heated grips from the factory ... assume someone makes them.

Oxford cruiser grips are an easy add on and worked awesome for me. Big and beefy feeling, and got more than plenty hot.

I like the Yamaha you replaced it with ... don't think they make those anymore - tell me how the 2 compare.

They don't make em anymore, no...sadly. Nobody knows if they're discontinued or what Yamaha is doing, but they just silently disappeared from the website one day and never returned. No announcement. They could reappear tomorrow for what anyone knows, although it seems Yamaha has completely exited the cruiser and touring market at the moment.

But it's one of the things that makes it unique now, most people have never seen one.

As for comparing the two, well honestly, they don't compare. Now that I've got a few thousand KM's on it, and a few 3-4 hour rides, the SV Transcontinental is next level - there's just a lot more refinement so far as air management (power windshield, adjustable wings to push air out or suck air in, baffles and better flow around the lowers, etc), comfort features (power windshield, heated seat(s), a solid infotainment system, better audio, etc. The Voyager is technologically still in the 2005 era IMHO, and the SVTC is very much a "modern" bike.

Would I rule out the Voyager however for someone looking? Absolutely not. It's a LOT of bike for a really good price, and like I said earlier, they're reliable, easy to work on for the most part, have some aftermarket support (within reason), and most people who own one love them. Just be sure to buy one of the 2011/2012+ models as they have ABS standard. Other than that, 2012 and up, seriously, just shop by whatever colour scheme turns your crank, has a mileage your comfortable with and is in good repair, and is a good deal. 2012 or 2024, they're all functionally identical, literally the only difference is paint schemes. Honestly, I don't know why *anyone* would buy one of these new right now as you're buying a 2024 that hasn't changed (literally not even a single screw or bolt) in 13+ years now.

Much thanks for the awesome impressions PP!! (y)(y)

I'm on the shorter stature of things at 5'7" 160 lbs +/- with gear, 30/31" inseam but very fit, esp for my age (the big 60 this summer). I doubt I'd feel cramped but I'm reading that it's about an inch taller in the seat than my TBird. I suspect there's a lower seat option for it mind you.

I wear cruiser boots when on cruisers and it helps with the higher heel and I can easily flatfoot the TBird so the Kawi may be fine.

I'm going to try and get out to AM Sales & Prime Line this weekend as they each have one and plop my butt on 1 or 2.

Thanks again ... I'll reach out via PM if I have any further questions if you don't mind.

Last weekend, I went to see a Monster 1200. When I sit on the bike, my upper body and wrist feel ok, but I didn't expect my knees to feel that cramped; I think the main reason for it is that my freaking belly was n the way.

I would like the opinion of someone who has a normal body type and has owned/ridden a monster. Do you find it uncomfortable for rides of 300+ km per day?

The motorcycle isn't for me; it's for my dad who lives in my home country. He wants to buy a motorcycle here so that we can go for rides together when he visits.

Currently, he's set on getting a Ducati. Unfortunately, he's vertically challenged and only measures 1.60 meters (that's about 5'3) in height, and he doesn't feel confident when stopping if he can't put his two feet on the ground. That's why I'm considering a Monster or a Diavel, as the Scrambler is out of the question due to his dislike for it.
I do believe @Wind Shear still has his 796 up for sale.

Much thanks for the awesome impressions PP!! (y)(y)

I'm on the shorter stature of things at 5'7" 160 lbs +/- with gear, 30/31" inseam but very fit, esp for my age (the big 60 this summer). I doubt I'd feel cramped but I'm reading that it's about an inch taller in the seat than my TBird. I suspect there's a lower seat option for it mind you.

I wear cruiser boots when on cruisers and it helps with the higher heel and I can easily flatfoot the TBird so the Kawi may be fine.

I'm going to try and get out to AM Sales & Prime Line this weekend as they each have one and plop my butt on 1 or 2.

Thanks again ... I'll reach out via PM if I have any further questions if you don't mind.

I think you’ll find the ergos fine then, but you’ll find the seat tall, and there’s no real options for a lower seat itself due to the frame design.

Definitely worth sitting on either way to see what you think.

I bought my new ride at AM sales and I believe the voyager was there at the same time, so it’s maybe being there a while. I just looked back through my photos and don’t see it in the background, however I’m 90% sure I remember seeing one there at the time.

Don’t discount the private sale market either, these bikes are reasonably common and this time of year there’s lots of them out there.

Gotta love Kawi. If they get it right they don't change for a long time (think KLR and Concourse)
Suzuki is much the same way ... that K5 inline 4 from around 2005 is still used in the GSX-S and Katana (albeit tuned more for TQ than top end HP).

for the people who have owned or ridden modern retro bikes, how do you like them? How are they for passengers?
(Think t100 or t120, guzzi v7?)

@Jayell ?

Probably not as good as an adv bike or a big sport tourer I imagine?

I had a 2019 Speed Twin ... very similar to a T120 and although I never had a passenger I doubt it'd be the best for it .. . maybe shorter rides only.

Also, they're small'ish bikes so keep that in mind.

I had a 2019 Speed Twin ... very similar to a T120 and although I never had a passenger I doubt it'd be the best for it .. . maybe shorter rides only.

Also, they're small'ish bikes so keep that in mind.
Not really looking for cross country touring, just comfy enough, with a decent seat for a chill 30 min ride

Not really looking for cross country touring, just comfy enough, with a decent seat for a chill 30 min ride
Where are you going to store this?

Back
Top Bottom