The "Are you thinking of a new bike for 2024?" discussion thread. | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "Are you thinking of a new bike for 2024?" discussion thread.

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
Surely I'm not alone? It's around this time of year that I think lots of us have the time to sit back and contemplate the riding year(s) past, and the years ahead, and also start thinking about about a new (or additional) ride being in the cards.

The "new years riding resolutions" thread kind of got me going on this topic although I don't want to hijack that whole thread, so I think it's worthy of another discussion.

For me, I think it's time. I've owned my Vulcan Voyager since 2019, have put around 60,000km on it in that time period, and although I've had a lot of good times and fun with it, it has never felt like my forever bike. It comes down to the ergonoics I think - I've just never been ultra comfortable on it like I was with past bikes, and no amount of changes seem able to accomplish that - I've tried 4 different seats, different pegs, different backrests...I just don't know what it is, but it doesn't feel right. I once rode an 1800km day on my old VTX and could have kept going, but I rode a 1000km day on the Vulcan coming back from Vermont back in October and I was uncomfortable for at least the last hour. I could have kept going, but I've struggled to enjoy long distance days on this bike since day 1.

So, I'm thinking about moving on, and I've been thinking about one of these for a year or two now.

1703722678353.png

1703722755429.png

1703722830152.png

They're a bit of an orphan from Yahama and have had an unusual timeline of life (introduced, disappeared, reintroduced for a few years, and now mysteriosly disappeared from the Yamaha lineup again, who knows what's going on now), but I've like the looks of them since they came out in 2018 and they tick a lot of the boxes I'm looking to fill...and having sat on one, they seem to fit me much better than my Kawi. It's 6" longer overall (which I think is a big part of it as the seat ergos feel less squished), and it just seems like it fits.

I've had a few people say "Just buy a Goldwing", but three things:

1/ I don't think I've reached my "Goldwing Years" yet.
2/ I've ridden one of the new Goldwings and really didnt' like it! I don't like the leg position and I can't stretch out as there's endless tupperware everwhere.
3/ I'm still partial to a big old unrefined V-Twin instead of a sewing machine whirring under the tank lol.

So, Anyone else eyeballing something new for 2024?

Are you firm on a model from the Japanese mfrs?
They are well built, reliable and priced relatively well.
But .....
Have you given a thought to BeeEm's K1600 or R1250?
Perhaps, the Indian Challenger, Roadmaster or Pursuit?
Or even the Guzzi V100 or V85?

Good luck in your choice!

You didnt mention what specifically you had issues with in terms of comfort?
Knees? Elbows? butt? Tailbone?

So, Anyone else eyeballing something new for 2024?
I refuse to answer.

Dont know what your dimensions are but
A lot of people go ADV for pure comfort these days, and since you like v twins:
1703723901005.png

Have you given a thought to BeeEm's K1600 or R1250?
Perhaps, the Indian Challenger, Roadmaster or Pursuit?

Yeah, I've looked at them. I've rode a friends Beemer K1600 even. A riding buddy has an FJR all kitted out for touring as well.

Indians are out of my desired price range at this point.

And it also comes back a lot to...I just like the looks of the SVTC.

Sport touring....Fun, versatile, arguably better in many ways, but none are really my bag. I can't quite put my finger on why I'm still really stuck on the "big ass giant cruiser" segment, but I think it comes down to the size to some extent, certainly the amount of storage (a big deal for me as I do a lot of LDR, motocamping, and touring) , and the fact that I do really kind of enjoy riding a big giant couch on wheels, and throwing it around hard sometimes.

You didnt mention what specifically you had issues with in terms of comfort?
Knees? Elbows? butt? Tailbone?

Tailbone, thighs, and just generally feeling "Crowded" on the seat (and bike) in general. The seat on the Vulcan, due to the way the frame is built, just doesn't have a big flat "saddle" like surface that really seems to work for me - to the contrary there's very little flat at all, it slopes in all directions, including very abruptly upwards onto the tank. The photo doesn't really show it but even with the Ultimate seat I have on it now and my Wild Ass pad, I still don't feel right. And I'm not willing to spend $2K on something like a Russel Daylong when even if I get the seat sorted out, I still feel crowded.

1703725071879.png

I currently have an Ultimate on it and it's best I could find of all the ones I tried. I did buy someones custom abbhoration of a seat designed for a rider who was almost 7' tall, and although it had that nice big flat seating surface I was looking for, it looked completely silly, and raised my seating position so high that I felt like I was standing on the bike.

I refuse to answer.

Dont know what your dimensions are but
A lot of people go ADV for pure comfort these days, and since you like v twins:

I just don't dig the look of the adv bikes, and I find the seating positions very high and the bikes far harder to get on and off of comparatively. Also much less shelter from the wind and weather, IMHO.

Last edited:
I’ve always got the itch. But my itch is simple and cheap.

I’m debating between giving the Ducati one more season to impress me (may buy real windshield), or going into a new direction with the VSTROM / Versys / Tenere lines as the options.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Variety is the spice of life as they say.

I just don't dig the look of the adv bikes, and I find the seating positions very high and the bikes far harder to get on and off of comparatively. Also much less shelter from the wind and weather, IMHO.
Cant really help ya with the looks, the bikes are very roomy and can be tall depending on just how offroad oriented they are, I'm 6'2 and would always have to get on and off the africa twin like a dirt bike (kickstand down, standing on the pegs)

I'm 6'2 and would always have to get on and off the africa twin like a dirt bike (kickstand down, standing on the pegs)

I get on and off my full dresser via the passenger floorboards - I discovered long ago that if I flip it down it gives me a perfect angle to swing my leg right up and over the beer box and onto the bike in one reasonably gracefull maneuver, as opposed to the one legged chicken dance that a lot of people do getting onto big touring bikes. I still do the 1 legged dance getting off.

See, I'm built differenly. Kind of like Ikea furniture when you didn't read the directions - mostly incorrectly, some parts don't work as intended, things sometimes break when you move a part that's supposed to move, some parts that are supposed to move, don't....things make weird noises....that kind of different.😜

Owned both an FJR and now k1600GT. Try a K1600 GT with the thought that you are now in the market for a new ride. Bike is hard to beat for size and fun. It has no business handling as good as it does for it's size. Love it.

Owned both an FJR and now k1600GT. Try a K1600 GT with the thought that you are now in the market for a new ride. Bike is hard to beat for size and fun. It has no business handling as good as it does for it's size. Love it.

Any issues with it? So many BMW horror stories out there about things that should be a $100 repair being a $1000 repair, because...BMW. Warning lights that can't be reset without the special dealer computer to the tune of $250, that sort of thing. Sounds like the earlier K1600's had some issues as well, but to be fair, the early SVTC's had some issues as well.

I don't know. I'm keeping my eyes open to options, but I'll admit I'm somewhat fixated on the Yahama Transcontinental at this point still.

Any issues with it? So many BMW horror stories out there about things that should be a $100 repair being a $1000 repair, because...BMW. Warning lights that can't be reset without the special dealer computer to the tune of $250, that sort of thing. Sounds like the earlier K1600's had some issues as well, but to be fair, the early SVTC's had some issues as well.

I don't know. I'm keeping my eyes open to options, but I'll admit I'm somewhat fixated on the Yahama Transcontinental at this point still.
16000kms so far so good. Honestly, I don't worry about it. Model has been around since 2012? I think. I was at GP last week. They have a brand new 2019GT. Never sold. $23000. Killer deal. Full 3 year warranty. I got mine under same circumstances in 2022.

16000kms so far so good. Honestly, I don't worry about it. Model has been around since 2012? I think. I was at GP last week. They have a brand new 2019GT. Never sold. $23000. Killer deal. Full 3 year warranty. I got mine under same circumstances in 2022.
23k??? sweet jesus those things are 30k +/-

Id suggest budds, specifically dominic for anyone in the market for a new BMW.

Cant put a price on integrity.

Got mine from Wolf's. Biggest BMW dealer in Ontario. They delivered to Alliston when new. Picked up my FJR. Delivered after 1st service free. Did the deal with my trade in, sight-un-seen.

Probably have my forever bike now with the Tiger. Going to try moving the bars slightly up and back and repositioning the XT gps. I'd be happy if the connectivity worked better.

If you're looking at sport touring try a Connie.

Back
Top Bottom