The "Are you thinking of a new bike for 2024?" discussion thread. | Page 17 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "Are you thinking of a new bike for 2024?" discussion thread.

I worked for Werner Enterprises (US based trucking company with a small office in Milton) back in 2002...they sent me to Omaha NE for a one week training course and while there, they had an Indian dealership on site...I asked why they had a motorcycle dealership on site and apparently every VP in the company, got one as part of their compensation package...too bad I didn't last long with them (couldn't take the BS from my boss, so went into teaching)...post up a pic please :D

Whaaat? And I thought it was cool having a Tim Horton's inside our office. How many VP's did they have to justify that?

Whaaat? And I thought it was cool having a Tim Horton's inside our office. How many VP's did they have to justify that?

Meanwhile my company be like "Make sure to sit shivering in your tractors even if you're stuck sitting for an hour or two at a slow delivery because we need to reduce our fuel costs due to idling".

Meanwhile, at Werner.....

1711804360428.png

@Relax that was over 20 years ago and I honestly can't remember how many VPs they had...I do know there was a VP of Canadian operations, yet we were an office of 3 in Milton LOL...

@PrivatePilot hubby's company is the same way...they were bought out last year and it's been nothing but cost cutting measures ever since...

I also just remembered another cool thing about working with them...they had a top fuel dragster driver Clay Millican that they sponsored and I was able to get pit passes to a couple of the races he participated in...

I'm jealous...that bike looks delicious as F!
Do you use any special waxes or sealants for that matte paint?

I remember reading somewhere that the clearcoat is tinted which is why it gives that matte finish. Polishing or rubbing against it in any way brings out shine apparently.
Yep gotta use matte specific cleaner. Same as a car, can't take it through a regular wash.

Yep gotta use matte specific cleaner. Same as a car, can't take it through a regular wash.
Just my personal experience. The Harley I had was black matt. I did nothing special. Used regular car wash soap. Easy to take care of. Just don't wax or use a polish.

Just my personal experience. The Harley I had was black matt. I did nothing special. Used regular car wash soap. Easy to take care of. Just don't wax or use a polish.
Peace of mind I guess. 😌

Mackie trucking had a Harley dealer for a while. Probably a similar situation with a common owner.

Last weekend, I went to see a Monster 1200. When I sit on the bike, my upper body and wrist feel ok, but I didn't expect my knees to feel that cramped; I think the main reason for it is that my freaking belly was n the way.

I would like the opinion of someone who has a normal body type and has owned/ridden a monster. Do you find it uncomfortable for rides of 300+ km per day?

The motorcycle isn't for me; it's for my dad who lives in my home country. He wants to buy a motorcycle here so that we can go for rides together when he visits.

Currently, he's set on getting a Ducati. Unfortunately, he's vertically challenged and only measures 1.60 meters (that's about 5'3) in height, and he doesn't feel confident when stopping if he can't put his two feet on the ground. That's why I'm considering a Monster or a Diavel, as the Scrambler is out of the question due to his dislike for it.

Last weekend, I went to see a Monster 1200. When I sit on the bike, my upper body and wrist feel ok, but I didn't expect my knees to feel that cramped; I think the main reason for it is that my freaking belly was n the way.

I would like the opinion of someone who has a normal body type and has owned/ridden a monster. Do you find it uncomfortable for rides of 300+ km per day?

The motorcycle isn't for me; it's for my dad who lives in my home country. He wants to buy a motorcycle here so that we can go for rides together when he visits.

Currently, he's set on getting a Ducati. Unfortunately, he's vertically challenged and only measures 1.60 meters (that's about 5'3) in height, and he doesn't feel confident when stopping if he can't put his two feet on the ground. That's why I'm considering a Monster or a Diavel, as the Scrambler is out of the question due to his dislike for it.
I was considering a monster 1200 originally before discovering ktm :love:

The leg room was more cramped than I liked, it was also typical ducati hot(even if you were stopped for 10 s)

If hes an experienced rider, I dont think height is a big issue, many shorter guys ride adv bikes all day

I understand the dislike of the scrambler, its the girls bike of ducati.

Maybe look at smaller monsters? They might be closer to the ground?

How about a Moto Guzzi V7 or V85TT?

The V7 is low enough I'd imagine, has the Italian vibe and sound and appears to be a sturdy, reliable low running cost bike. They're also not terribly expensive used.

Hmmmm........Maybe I want one!

I was considering a monster 1200 originally before discovering ktm :love:

The leg room was more cramped than I liked, it was also typical ducati hot(even if you were stopped for 10 s)

If hes an experienced rider, I dont think height is a big issue, many shorter guys ride adv bikes all day

I understand the dislike of the scrambler, its the girls bike of ducati.

Maybe look at smaller monsters? They might be closer to the ground?
I found the heat was radiating from the exhaust header. Swap that and it's fine. I'm a few inches taller than you and don't find them cramped and could ride one all day.
Still not touring comfy in my getting-old mind but not terrible. I'd have one in the garage if I had more time to use it.

I found the heat was radiating from the exhaust header. Swap that and it's fine. I'm a few inches taller than you and don't find them cramped and could ride one all day.
Still not touring comfy in my getting-old mind but not terrible. I'd have one in the garage if I had more time to use it.
I suspect I’d find them fine now, I’m in decent shape

Been considering moving up to a more touring-friendly bike with great value, specifically the Kawasaki VN1700 Vaquero or the more passenger-friendly Voyager. I'd get used (5-10 yrs old) although the new ones in the pics are $21.6k and $22.8k. Love my Thunderbird but it could be better for 2-up riding.

I hear you need to put an Ivan tune on them to really wake them up, otherwise kinda slow, and I'd definitely do that as well as a set of slip-ons I'm guessing for a bit more rumble.

Anyone have any experience?

Pics of both models:

1713899679164.png

Been considering moving up to a more touring-friendly bike with great value, specifically the Kawasaki VN1700 Vaquero or the more passenger-friendly Voyager. I'd get used (5-10 yrs old) although the new ones in the pics are $21.6k and $22.8k. Love my Thunderbird but it could be better for 2-up riding.

I hear you need to put an Ivan tune on them to really wake them up, otherwise kinda slow, and I'd definitely do that as well as a set of slip-ons I'm guessing for a bit more rumble.

Anyone have any experience?

Pics of both models:

View attachment 67359
paging @PrivatePilot

Back
Top Bottom