Stupidly overpriced motorcycle for sale thread | Page 257 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stupidly overpriced motorcycle for sale thread

just because you don't like BMW's doesn't make it over priced. Why buy a Mercede's? A Chevette will do the same thing for a fraction of the price?

Why buy a mercedes? So that each time you have to change the brake pads, your forced to change the rotors as well!

He didn't either.
I don't buy into the BMW nonsense for pricing ...it's an 800 twin FFS.

save your money - buy something sensible that doesn't break and doesn't cost an arm and a leg when you drop it.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...bs/1345295178?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...om/1347799138?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Something like an S1000XR MIGHT justify the pricing.....for the rider that can make use of its astounding capabilities.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/first-rides-tests/2017/july/bmw-s1000xr/

but an 800 twin ...nah.

It's your money.
The irony is that I find the two Stroms you linked overpriced. Style-wise, both are two generations behind. Both have 50,000+ kms (personally I don't find this too bad, but the market plummets beyond this magic number), and the one is 11 years old and still asking more than 50% of original retail! I mean, according to blue book value, that 2007 Strom has a retail low and high of $2496 and $3328 respectively, and he's asking $4600 for it!

Last edited:
Just examples...I sold my 2011 Strom for the same as I paid for it $3k with luggage.

I agree the 2007 is too high.
There are loads of reliable bikes out for a new rider ....who, like the owner of the $12k 800 was $16k have no idea what they actually want to do.
There is a CB500x floating around for a good price in the other thread

"Sylewise" ????....you riding or posing ?? :D :rolleyes:

If it ain't broke....KLR's were identical with very small changes for 20 years .....manufacturers should get it right and stay there .....instead of being "fashionable".

Last edited:
J
"Sylewise" ????....you riding or posing ?? :D :rolleyes:

If it ain't broke....KLR's were identical with very small changes for 20 years .....manufacturers should get it right and stay there .....instead of being "fashionable".
Along with the "style", there were many other improvements with each update. The styling is just any easy indicator that they're old and out-of-date, and most riders would prefer new and improved if the increased cost is minimal / acceptable. I'm not much for posing; my 2006 SV has far more kms than either of those Stroms.

"If it ain't broke..." - Time marches on and development progresses and improves. Why did you spend your money on a bike with CBS/ABS and fuel injection? You could have purchased on older bandit without any of those modern items, and likely for less money. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
ABS is a major safety aspect - there is little in the $12k 800 twin BMW price that is equivalent in a fundamental safety feature that could justify the expense....and C-ABS was only a minor part of the decision in the value for money choices tho I do like the feature on the CBF.

That said, how did we ever ride without ABS all those decades?. ;) and my 2004 KLR is stunning reliable ...or I wouldn't be out in the bush with it.

if the increased cost is minimal / acceptable
and in this case ..IMNSO ...not even close.

In this specific case tho ....how does the rider spend $16k ...ride 2400 km ...then expect to try and pass along his expensive decision for $12k.

I understand noobs getting in over their head..my second Burgman Exec was a rider with no experience and too much bike...he paid $15k, I paid $7k for his mistake....2800 km 2 years old.

Park the BMW 800 at $8k THEN it goes into the good value bikes thread :D

and yeah Bandits have been on my radar ...I almost pulled the trigger on that one with full touring set up for $4k.....called but not even a reply...

I regularly see clean 250s for 1000-1800, 3k = no one is gonna buy it

He's better off selling the spare farings, etc. seperately and price the bike reasonably. Glow kits and LED lights don't add any value.

A lot of people add things to their motorcycles because THEY like them.
They don't add any value to the bike unless you can find a buyer with the exact same taste.
There was a story awhile back about a seller's bike having every bell and whistle you can think of.
A potential buyer asked How much if you take all that crap off?

There is something to be said of a bike that is untampered/unmolested

I see a stock bike as sexy.

The only things i really care about in a bike are:

Regular maintenance, valve adjustments.(as they are expensive, I assume as a rule most people don't do them. I see lot of bikes go on sale right around the time the adjustment interval has/or is coming up)

There really ought to be a sticky on here about telltale signs if a bikes been squided around(Stickers of their favorite energy drinks on a bike? Monster, Rockstar anyone?)

Last edited:
cept maybe for adv bikes
That's because adv riders don't add stuff like underglow kits. They tend to add stuff that any adv rider would want so it does add "some" value. For example skid plate, handguards, engine guards, luggage and power source.
If accessories like that are on a bike I'm looking at I consider it a bonus and will pay a slight premium vs a stock bike. Things like a loud exhaust, underglow or stunt bars the buyer can keep.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

...There really ought to be a sticky on here about telltale signs if a bikes been squided around(Stickers of their favorite energy drinks on a bike? Monster, Rockstar anyone?)
Most have a clue stamped right on the motor. Check the right most cylinder, if it's has a casting mark that says "600cc", there's a good chance.

Most have a clue stamped right on the motor. Check the right most cylinder, if it's has a casting mark that says "600cc", there's a good chance.

Really? Iv never owned a 600cc SS, but I didn't know the concentration of squids was highest in that market

Last edited:
No thanks, think for that money I'd much rather have a super powerful, super comfortable, much more reliable, and ultimately much more useful CVO roadglide with many farkles.

Back
Top Bottom