Stunt Driving Charge in Brockville (near Kingston) HELP! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stunt Driving Charge in Brockville (near Kingston) HELP!

Stupid f'ing law. It has to change. If BC raised their speed limits to 120 kph, Ontario should follow. Canadian speed limits should be the same. It could be argued reckless negligence on Ontario govt to NOT raise the speed limits. Speed limits were set in the 1970's when cars where 10 feet long and got three miles per gallon. No one does 100 kph, if you do you are endangering yourself and everyone around you. If speed limits are raised this puts stunting charge at 170 kph.

http://stop100.ca/

sign up; tell your friends. If won't ever happen without massive public push back. Too many lobbies with their thumb on the people as it stands

sign up; tell your friends. If won't ever happen without massive public push back. Too many lobbies with their thumb on the people as it stands

sounds like a lost cause & waste of time, good luck getting any mainstream public support

dream on with 'higher posted speeds' are safer arguments, when speeds are based on all around averages & the larger by far majorities

might as well be the fringe babbling with each other, that most could care less about

Last edited:

I'll sign the petition as soon as they raise the driver testing standards and start enforcing laws other than speeding, lane usage, signals, proper turns, cell phone crap etc.

First check with your broker or insurer, (unless they have changed their specific criteria), speeding charges 0 - 49 KM/h over are a MINOR conviction. 50+, (yes you can still be charged and convicted of speeding at 53 KM/h over, without it having to be a s172 charge.

This, pretty much. If the OP can get it dropped to a 49 over HTA128 charge, then it will still be an expensive ticket, but should be treated as a minor (vs major or criminal), and if it is his first ticket, only come with a 0-15% or so insurance penalty for 3 years.

I've known people who got tagged at 60 over (128 vs 172), reduced on spot to 49 over (by the cop), who still wanted to take it to court to potentially end up fighting the unreduced ticket. Sort of makes me want to shake my head in disbelief...

Last edited:
Is raising the 400 series speed limit for getting the averages up? Because every time I go anywhere near them I spend a fair chunk of that at idle. I'm happy @ 105 in the slow lane all day long. You should be too.

I'll sign the petition as soon as they raise the driver testing standards and start enforcing laws other than speeding, lane usage, signals, proper turns, cell phone crap etc.

Maybe if the laws weren't so out of step the police would move on to other enforcement. As it is, fish in a barrel; why bother working harder.

sounds like a lost cause & waste of time, good luck getting any mainstream public support

dream on with 'higher posted speeds' are safer arguments, when speeds are based on all around averages & the larger by far majorities

might as well be the fringe babbling with each other, that most could care less about

The fringe lacks a capital, so I hear.

If you do nothing, nothing will change. How about every Wednesday on 400 series highways (including the merging lane as a forth lane) every second lane do the normal 140 kph, else lanes do 100. It will cause pandemonium and chaos both of which create change.

Lane one = 100
Lane two = 140
Lane three = 100
Lane four = 140

Flow of traffic is severely impeded and a visual protest is on display.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The problem isn't really speeding, speed limits or poor/overzealous enforcement, it's poor lane selection.

If people would just ride/drive in the proper lane, we wouldn't has nearly as many problems as we do.

From where he lives in Vaughan to his work in Toronto is 400 series highways in morning rush hour. The avg speed limit on the 400 is 140 kph in the morning, and he'll be doing it.

Your estimate of average speed is quite high. I travel the 400 most days during rush hours, do 120kmh and at that speed I pass a lot more cars than the # of cars that pass me so the average speed must be less than 120. Sure a fair # are doing 130-140 a few well above that but the average is well below 140kph

Your estimate of average speed is quite high. I travel the 400 most days during rush hours, do 120kmh and at that speed I pass a lot more cars than the # of cars that pass me so the average speed must be less than 120. Sure a fair # are doing 130-140 a few well above that but the average is well below 140kph
It's like NASCAR near Barrie. All the "I thought moving to Barrie from GTA would be a good idea" people trying desperately to make time and to get to work.

The problem isn't really speeding, speed limits or poor/overzealous enforcement, it's poor lane selection.

If people would just ride/drive in the proper lane, we wouldn't has nearly as many problems as we do.

This.

Ppl have faith that higher speeds will make roads safer.. Higher speed limits will hardly be usable cuz you always have left slow drivers in the left and middle lanes.

This.

Ppl have faith that higher speeds will make roads safer.. Higher speed limits will hardly be usable cuz you always have left slow drivers in the left and middle lanes.

And thus the enforcement of the already in place laws, that may actually help. As it stands, it's far easier to meet the "performance standard" by sitting roadside with a radar gun.

I agree that lane selection is a big issue. I also think our artificially low speed limits cause problems. There ends up being too much of a difference in speeds. You have the people who drive the speed they are comfortable with and you have the people who religiously follow the speed limit. I believe if the speed limits were raised the speed differential would be greatly diminished. Combine this with proper lane selection and a lot of problems would disappear.

I agree that lane selection is a big issue. I also think our artificially low speed limits cause problems. There ends up being too much of a difference in speeds. You have the people who drive the speed they are comfortable with and you have the people who religiously follow the speed limit. I believe if the speed limits were raised the speed differential would be greatly diminished. Combine this with proper lane selection and a lot of problems would disappear.

A rationale being proven effective. BC has seen decreases in incidents in most areas where the limit was raised, and in the two segments where an increase in collisions has been noted, the limit was re-adjusted. These two areas were not 400 series style expressways, rather 80-90kph undivided highways.

That might actually make things worse, as some people drive the speed they are comfortable with, and that is lower than the speed limit. I've passed people doing 80 on the 400 series. Imagine someone thinking 170 was o.k. now pulling over and rear ending them, with a 90 kph difference. We need to get people driving in the right lanes for the speed they're going first. But it's hard to monitor or enforce. There needs to be community awareness, and education. Pass and get over. Pass and get over. Even the people speeding don't get the message. They get in the left lane, with nothing in front of them and just continue on their merry way, as though it's their God given right! So next time you see someone doing 149 in the passing lane, and blocking others, remember that it's them, and not the people doing 105 that are messing things up. Everyone sees them, and says they don't let people by, why should we have to? We're doing over the speed limit. Pass and get over.

I don't disagree about lane discipline. It needs to be there and enforced. Education and/or awareness campaigns are also good. But in the long run it will come down to enforcement. I don't think it would be hard to enforce but it would be time consuming and not nearly as good a revenue generator as speeding tickets.

But, when you get a large part of the cohort of drivers driving over the legal speed limit (at their naturally comfortable pace) and another large part driving at the speed limit you have a speed differential problem. The 80kph drivers on the 400 series highways are just outliers. If we can bring the legal limit up the drivers who drive the speed limit will drive faster and hopefully we will have less of a speed differential.

Btw, there no driving rights so you really should have said "as though it is their God given privilege" . :)

That might actually make things worse, as some people drive the speed they are comfortable with, and that is lower than the speed limit. I've passed people doing 80 on the 400 series. Imagine someone thinking 170 was o.k. now pulling over and rear ending them, with a 90 kph difference. We need to get people driving in the right lanes for the speed they're going first. But it's hard to monitor or enforce. There needs to be community awareness, and education. Pass and get over. Pass and get over. Even the people speeding don't get the message. They get in the left lane, with nothing in front of them and just continue on their merry way, as though it's their God given right! So next time you see someone doing 149 in the passing lane, and blocking others, remember that it's them, and not the people doing 105 that are messing things up. Everyone sees them, and says they don't let people by, why should we have to? We're doing over the speed limit. Pass and get over.

what i mean is speeding in any way that invites getting dinged with a ticket, other than

i never go more than 9 over posted speeds, 5 max in school zones,

max speed if inclined is what others may be doing ahead, keeping a pacing speed/distance, never in the lead

don't remember the last infraction i've had at this point ~ 2-3 decades now, but had a ton in my youth, barely hanging on to a valid licence at one point, maxed out on points, delaying proceedings etc, stupid stuff galore...

rules are what they are

cos some of them fast folks, who have no issues being in the lead, that i can easily pace at a distance, go 100mph +

9 over in a school zone is pushing it

it's called hedging your bets & wth.. tricks of the trade etc

so far, has worked out for me

Glad to see that you agree that speed limits, at their currently rates, are open to interpretation. You say 5 or 9 over is enough, not because its the appropriate speed to drive but because it limits your risk of being caught. You'll go faster if someone else takes that risk. So you should be joining the call for raised limits.

So what if someone else feels 20 over is the appropriate limit? You're right and they're wrong?, Or is it the other way around? Good thing transportation engineers have developed a standard for appropriate speeds based on how traffic actually drives. It's called the 85th percentile. One could even argue that this is artificially low as it is influenced by the posted limit. It's just too bad that politicians here, who are largely bending to the police, insurance companies and Nimbys, would never consider raising limits. More credit to BC for doing so!

Follow all you want as a minister of the crown he has a DRIVER..lol Not to mention the Minister of Transportation has NO authority to "make a ticket go away".
Even IF the limit were raised today doesn't matter the OP was doing 153 when it was 100. Still at 153 he will be looking at a minor conviction from an insurance stand point. Your assertion that the "stunt law would then go to 170" is also misguided it would remain at 150.

BC's still has a street racing and stunt driving law, the main difference between theirs and ours is theirs does NOT have a speed listed as one of the possible options, so technically if you fit any of the other "conditions" same as here in Ontario you can be doing 20 km/h over the limit and still catch the charge.

Stupid f'ing law. It has to change. If BC raised their speed limits to 120 kph, Ontario should follow. Canadian speed limits should be the same. It could be argued reckless negligence on Ontario govt to NOT raise the speed limits. Speed limits were set in the 1970's when cars where 10 feet long and got three miles per gallon. No one does 100 kph, if you do you are endangering yourself and everyone around you. If speed limits are raised this puts stunting charge at 170 kph. OP, find out where Minister of Transportation lives in Ontario. Follow him to work and pace him with both your speedo as well with GPS. Guaranteed he will be over the speed limit. Show him the video and watch your ticket "go away."

Follow him to or from work:

Hon Steven Del Duca
Ministry of Transportation 3rdFloor, Ferguson Block 77 Wellesley Street West Toronto, Ontario M7A 1Z8

From where he lives in Vaughan to his work in Toronto is 400 series highways in morning rush hour. The avg speed limit on the 400 is 140 kph in the morning, and he'll be doing it.

I don't disagree about lane discipline. It needs to be there and enforced. Education and/or awareness campaigns are also good. But in the long run it will come down to enforcement. I don't think it would be hard to enforce but it would be time consuming and not nearly as good a revenue generator as speeding tickets.

... and there in lies the police opposition; and in line, hand out, right after them, the insurance industry, who profit greatly from the war on "speeders".

Back
Top Bottom