Stunt Driving Charge in Brockville (near Kingston) HELP! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stunt Driving Charge in Brockville (near Kingston) HELP!

Under 25 and stunt conviction will more than double your insurance...say goodbye to your bike too since it will be expensive if not impossible to insure in Brampton (or anywhere in sw Ontario) after this ticket. 49 over is a major charge..whoever told you it's minor is off their meds. I don't get why people speed in a car anyway. Too easy to get caught unless you are willing to evade, have the suspension and brakes to do it and most importantly the driving skills.

To shave even 5mins takes some serious speeding and not worth the risk of getting caught.

49 over is minor. Its what I had my stunting dropped to and confirmed it with my insurer. I was still good when I switched from Intact to Statefarm. I'm speaking from first hand personal experience, you're speaking from...I don't know what the **** you're speaking from.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by awdmig

Under 25 and stunt conviction will more than double your insurance...say goodbye to your bike too since it will be expensive if not impossible to insure in Brampton (or anywhere in sw Ontario) after this ticket. 49 over is a major charge..whoever told you it's minor is off their meds. I don't get why people speed in a car anyway. Too easy to get caught unless you are willing to evade, have the suspension and brakes to do it and most importantly the driving skills.

To shave even 5mins takes some serious speeding and not worth the risk of getting caught.

i don't get why anyone speeds period, losers

I believe it's still only a major conviction, insurance counts it for three years, etc. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong

It can result in up to a 2 year suspension though which would affect you for 6 years from the date that your suspension ends no? If he ends up with a suspension

For some reason the post I made doesn't appear so here it is again.

First check with your broker or insurer, (unless they have changed their specific criteria), speeding charges 0 - 49 KM/h over are a MINOR conviction. 50+, (yes you can still be charged and convicted of speeding at 53 KM/h over, without it having to be a s172 charge.

You mentioned getting it reduced or "dropped", If by dropped you mean completely gone that will only be accomplished in a few ways.
1. cop fails to appear for trial, (in smaller courts and jurisdictions, such as Belleville, this is VERY unlikely)
2. you can demonstrate proper procedures were not followed by the radar operator, (he didn't test the equipment as required by the courts at the beginning of his shift and end of shift). The ONLY way you will know this is to ask for discovery and check that it is noted.
3. Hire a VERY good and expensive lawyer, who can find a fatal flaw, Either in the ticket, or the testimony of the officer on the stand.

As for hiring a paralegal firm to get the charge reduced to a minor speeding conviction, is really unnecessary. You can attend the first appearance, (present yourself well, as in well dressed, showered etc, be respectful), ask the crown what they are prepared to offer for an early resolution. In all likelihood, (unless they have been instructed not to deal on s172), he/she will offer to reduce the charge to speeding, (likely between 39 - 45 km/h over). If you are "happy" with that accept the "deal" and be done. IF the crown says they are going to proceed with the s172 charge, then you will request a trial. At that point I would still forego a paralegal service as they are mostly ill prepared to defend against such a charge. Spend the rest of your day in Belleville speaking to at least a couple of lawyers, at the court house.

As has been stated lawyers ARE expensive, but that is for a reason they will bring the experience and knowledge you WILL need when it comes to defending this charge.

Insurance implications will depend upon many factors, based upon the underwriting rules of your particular insurer.

I thought the same thing when I read your post then it "went missing".
There are two threads the same - one in General and one in Laws/regulation

Ask your lawyer in Toronto if he knows anyone in the Brockville area who does this kind of legal work.
It would save you a few hundred for the lawyer's travel cost at least.

Normaly I would just show up my self admit guilt and hope for leniency but you have to big issues with your profile that I would suggest to get a lawyer/paralegal .. One being your under 25, and the brampton factor. I have no doubts that your insurance with skyrocket due to those factors, plus a minor/major conviction.

I had a friend get caught doing 10+ over, and then later in the year got a 40+ ticket... Come insurance renewal time, his rates on his civic went up by 60%; called around for quotes, and got rates from 40-150x his oringal insurance prices.

If you can't do the time don't do the crime. <- Normally I don't agree with this but last week some guy in a hot Mustang passed me @ 200+ on the Burlington Skyway. Still a bit butt hurt about that.

i don't get why anyone speeds period, losers[/I][/COLOR]

Do some research on design speed and 85th percentile, then ask yourself why the speeds intended by the road designers and the speeds up to which 85% of traffic is comfortable driving aren't reflected by the posted limits. Then go take a look at almost any Works Committee or City Council agenda and try to not find at least one item where a reduced speed limit is proposed and (almost always) approved. Then go out and drive/ride around. Odds are that if you find someone doing the actual posted limit (at any time other than rush hour), if people can't easily get around them, you'll find that they are blocking traffic.

Rules need to be reasonable if they are to be respected.

If you can't do the time don't do the crime. <- Normally I don't agree with this but last week some guy in a hot Mustang passed me @ 200+ on the Burlington Skyway. Still a bit butt hurt about that.

Now this made me laugh!!! LOL

First check with your broker or insurer, (unless they have changed their specific criteria), speeding charges 0 - 49 KM/h over are a MINOR conviction. 50+, (yes you can still be charged and convicted of speeding at 53 KM/h over, without it having to be a s172 charge.

You mentioned getting it reduced or "dropped", If by dropped you mean completely gone that will only be accomplished in a few ways.
1. cop fails to appear for trial, (in smaller courts and jurisdictions, such as Belleville, this is VERY unlikely)
2. you can demonstrate proper procedures were not followed by the radar operator, (he didn't test the equipment as required by the courts at the beginning of his shift and end of shift). The ONLY way you will know this is to ask for discovery and check that it is noted.
3. Hire a VERY good and expensive lawyer, who can find a fatal flaw, Either in the ticket, or the testimony of the officer on the stand.

As for hiring a paralegal firm to get the charge reduced to a minor speeding conviction, is really unnecessary. You can attend the first appearance, (present yourself well, as in well dressed, showered etc, be respectful), ask the crown what they are prepared to offer for an early resolution. In all likelihood, (unless they have been instructed not to deal on s172), he/she will offer to reduce the charge to speeding, (likely between 39 - 45 km/h over). If you are "happy" with that accept the "deal" and be done. IF the crown says they are going to proceed with the s172 charge, then you will request a trial. At that point I would still forego a paralegal service as they are mostly ill prepared to defend against such a charge. Spend the rest of your day in Belleville speaking to at least a couple of lawyers, at the court house.

As has been stated lawyers ARE expensive, but that is for a reason they will bring the experience and knowledge you WILL need when it comes to defending this charge.

Insurance implications will depend upon many factors, based upon the underwriting rules of your particular insurer.

Good advice as usual but the challenge is doing the math regarding the long term costs of fines and insurances. Insurers change rates like some people change their socks. Determining the final cost is like nailing jello to a wall.

If that area is a fishing hole there will hopefully be a local lawyer well versed in the best out. How to find him / her among the wannabees?

OP has a full G but for how long?

Last edited:
Do some research on design speed and 85th percentile, then ask yourself why the speeds intended by the road designers and the speeds up to which 85% of traffic is comfortable driving aren't reflected by the posted limits. Then go take a look at almost any Works Committee or City Council agenda and try to not find at least one item where a reduced speed limit is proposed and (almost always) approved. Then go out and drive/ride around. Odds are that if you find someone doing the actual posted limit (at any time other than rush hour), if people can't easily get around them, you'll find that they are blocking traffic.

Rules need to be reasonable if they are to be respected.

what i mean is speeding in any way that invites getting dinged with a ticket, other than

i never go more than 9 over posted speeds, 5 max in school zones,

max speed if inclined is what others may be doing ahead, keeping a pacing speed/distance, never in the lead

don't remember the last infraction i've had at this point ~ 2-3 decades now, but had a ton in my youth, barely hanging on to a valid licence at one point, maxed out on points, delaying proceedings etc, stupid stuff galore...

rules are what they are

Last edited:
Just have to be selective on when and where shenanigans happen. I had an awesome ride today involving several dank whoolies as the kids say these days, and spent a good amount of time at 50+ over the limit. But is sure as hell wasn't on a 400 series highway, gotta be smarter than that.

what i mean is speeding in any way that invites getting dinged with a ticket, other than

max speed if inclined is what others may be doing ahead, keeping a pacing speed/distance, never in the lead

don't remember the last infraction i've had at this point ~ 2-3 decades now, but had a ton in my youth, barely hanging on to a valid licence at one point, maxed out on points, delaying proceedings etc, stupid stuff galore...

rules are what they are

I'm not sure if you're the culprit (I know you're the dude) but somebody around here is really down on the youth of today. I'll cross reference your posts going forward against the irony chart. If it's not you it'll be fun anyway.

I hope the 9 over is not in the passing lane and then once passed from inside lanes you then speed up and follow the rabbit hoping they get caught.,.
Nothing worse than someone impeding traffic flow and then will follow right behind and then slow up when car is gone and then speed up to follow next car when passed but always in the passing lane,....

Why not just stay 9 over the whole time......jus sayin

Why not just stay 9 over the whole time......jus sayin

cos some of them fast folks, who have no issues being in the lead, that i can easily pace at a distance, go 100mph +

9 over in a school zone is pushing it

it's called hedging your bets & wth.. tricks of the trade etc

so far, has worked out for me

Last edited:
Stupid f'ing law. It has to change. If BC raised their speed limits to 120 kph, Ontario should follow. Canadian speed limits should be the same. It could be argued reckless negligence on Ontario govt to NOT raise the speed limits. Speed limits were set in the 1970's when cars where 10 feet long and got three miles per gallon. No one does 100 kph, if you do you are endangering yourself and everyone around you. If speed limits are raised this puts stunting charge at 170 kph. OP, find out where Minister of Transportation lives in Ontario. Follow him to work and pace him with both your speedo as well with GPS. Guaranteed he will be over the speed limit. Show him the video and watch your ticket "go away."

Follow him to or from work:

Hon Steven Del Duca
Ministry of Transportation 3rdFloor, Ferguson Block 77 Wellesley Street West Toronto, Ontario M7A 1Z8

From where he lives in Vaughan to his work in Toronto is 400 series highways in morning rush hour. The avg speed limit on the 400 is 140 kph in the morning, and he'll be doing it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP, find out where Minister of Transportation lives in Ontario. Follow him to work and pace him with both your speedo as well with GPS. Guaranteed he will be over the speed limit. Show him the video and watch your ticket "go away."

Follow him to or from work:

Hon Steven Del Duca
Ministry of Transportation 3rdFloor, Ferguson Block 77 Wellesley Street West Toronto, Ontario M7A 1Z8

From where he lives in Vaughan to his work in Toronto is 400 series highways in morning rush hour. The avg speed limit on the 400 is 140 kph in the morning, and he'll be doing it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Haha, yeah right.

As a supervisor, a line used in every single interview I've ever given has been "We are not here to talk about XXXXX's behaviour, we are here to talk about yours."

Back
Top Bottom