Stuck at the crossroads... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stuck at the crossroads...

In an ideal world, I'd be on an 1190/1290 adventure "r" model. However price is a concern. Trying to budget $10000 max, taxes etc in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well obviously you've narrowed down your selection to what you want so just buy the closest thing to that which falls into your budget.

Well obviously you've narrowed down your selection to what you want so just buy the closest thing to that which falls into your budget.
Just by the budget alone, I think I'll be going with fz09, but I don't feel like I'm settling. I'm more excited about this bike than any other to come out in quite a while. In my current financial position it does me no good to lust after 20-30 thousand dollar bikes. Fun, powerful and cheap? Thanks Yamaha!

Just by the budget alone, I think I'll be going with fz09, but I don't feel like I'm settling. I'm more excited about this bike than any other to come out in quite a while. In my current financial position it does me no good to lust after 20-30 thousand dollar bikes. Fun, powerful and cheap? Thanks Yamaha!

I wouldn't really categorize a monster as a exotic, the aprilia probably yes lol. You can't go wrong with an fz09 so its a good choice.

This one has me just as excited as the fz09, probably a better fit for my use. Just can't seem to find out when it'll get to Canada.
I also like the luggage, handy for commuting, but it'll take me over $10000 pretty quickly.

When I am playing with idea of new bike, every time every month LOL, I always come to a conclusion that it makes no sense for me to spend more than 10k on a bike. Not living and working in Ontario and spending 2-3 weeks of each summer in Europe .... That's just me being I guess rationale .... LOL

So by that token .... FZ09 would pass. I woul wait though for the 2015 to make sure it has the same front suspension bits as FJ .... Because I hate nothing more then spending money on something the manufacturer didn't and got wrong. The FJ is confirmed to be corrected ...

Myself, I increasingly like FZ07 ... 7k + tax and needs nothing for everyday riding and occasional fun on the weekend. It just seems to strike the right balance between "need and want" ....

Last edited:
Scrambler might fit the bill.

Triumph-Scrambler-new-2015-gloss-black-just-in-be-quick.jpg

^ that would be settling

13 bikes in a handful of years, I doubt any 1 bike is going to satisfy you.

I had an FZ1 for 40000 kms and really liked it for everything except for riding around town. Great do everything and touring bike.

Have since replaced it with a BMW F800r and after 20k must say it does everything as well or better except for long distance slab. It's low centre of gravity, almost perfect fueling and excellent abs brakes make it perfect for around town and the back roads and the long wheelbase makes it a comfortable sport touring bike. It is a great all-round bike.

I can recommend both the FZ1 and the F800r

Last edited:
Like the z1000, ninja is still a little too sports oriented ergos for me.

I have 1, and a friend has the other. Egos are fairly similar, just the lack of wind protection at higher speeds on the Z is a bit tiring on longer runs. Z seems to flick into corners a bit quicker. Both can be had for under $10k with low mileage. Give them a look. Engine is totally addictive.

Thank you for this. I never realized the distinction between a ninja 1000 and a zx10r, so I did some research today. The ninja 1000 is now a strong contender too. Was very surprised when I checked it out on cycle-ergos.com. Similar too my 2000 bandit 1200, with slightly more lean at the waist, less bend at both the knee and hip. The engine sounds like a gem, and I like the adjustable windscreen. I really can't believe I ignored this bike when it was released as I thought it was the zx10r. Lol :) At this point, I'd say I'm down to the fz09, the ninja1000, and I'd like to check out the z1000, though I think I'd be more likely to go with the ninja over the z.

Ninja 1k was my top choice last year until and I was very close to buying one until I saw the 1190 adventure.

sent from a device using a program

Thank you for this. I never realized the distinction between a ninja 1000 and a zx10r, so I did some research today. The ninja 1000 is now a strong contender too. Was very surprised when I checked it out on cycle-ergos.com. Similar too my 2000 bandit 1200, with slightly more lean at the waist, less bend at both the knee and hip. The engine sounds like a gem, and I like the adjustable windscreen. I really can't believe I ignored this bike when it was released as I thought it was the zx10r. Lol :) At this point, I'd say I'm down to the fz09, the ninja1000, and I'd like to check out the z1000, though I think I'd be more likely to go with the ninja over the z.

Yeah, I feel like calling it the "Ninja 1000" was a knuckleheaded move, because half the motorcycling public still calls the ZX10 that. In other parts of the world it's called the ZX1000 SX, which is more distinctive.

I owned a Ninja 1000 for a while. Generally liked it, when doing 600+ km days the stiff seat gets a bit unpleasant, and the engine is a bit buzzy. If I had owned the bike for a day longer, I would have got a Corbin seat and HVMP bar ends and that probably would have made it perfect for me.* Would definitely consider the newer version with TCS, ABS, and the remote preload adjuster once I'm in the market again.

*Okay, that and new tires, pads, and slip-ons - never had an actual traction issue with the stock tires, but they just felt weird to me, like old touring tires. Brakes felt wooden, but like the tires worked well in practice. And slip-ons because the bike is just too damn quiet, at idle all you could hear was the clutch.

I checked out the fj-09 at St Onge today, Damn that red is hot! Love the bike and the ergos, seat is paper thin. Still loving the ninja 1000 tho, like one with hard bags. Btw, St Onge offered the fj at $10999, plus tax, offered to waive freight, pdi, all dealer fees. Msrp and tax. That's pretty good for a new release model.

So... New plan. A few new bikes have definitely popped up, but I've decided I don't want to drop $10000+ on a bike I've only sat on. I think I'm going to look for a gen1 fz1 or 07/08 fz6, either one will get me through commuting, weekend blasts etc. Then I'm going to hit up a few test ride days- fj09, ninja 1000, possibly a newer vstrom, and gsx1250f. When I find what I like, I'll trade in the fz1, or if it's an fz6, pass it on to the wife.

This plan has the added benefit of saving a few more dollars. Interesting to note as well, insurance quote $714/yr on the fz1, $670/yr on fz6.

Last edited:
Interesting to note as well, insurance quote $714/yr on the fz1, $670/yr on fz6.

Yah, I think my insurance jumped about $80 when going to the FZ1. Weird, but I won't complain

FZ6 is a lot of fun btw, and a good all rounder.

Yah, I think my insurance jumped about $80 when going to the FZ1. Weird, but I won't complain

Well, I may not need the extra power of the fz1, but its nice to know I can insure it. :)

Knowing that you've had both, aside from the obvious, what are the standout differences? Wind protection? Day to day use? I'll likely log a ton of commuting miles and I'd like to be comfortable.

Knowing that you've had both, aside from the obvious, what are the standout differences? Wind protection? Day to day use? I'll likely log a ton of commuting miles and I'd like to be comfortable.

Biggest difference aside from the obvious power difference is the seating position. FZ1 feels a lot more compact, your knees are bent more and you sit more upright. The FZ6 is a lot more balanced, your feet are lower, you have more space to the bars. The 6 is a much more comfortable bike for long distances. With no other interface mods than a Corbin seat and Throttlemeister I could do 1000-1200 days repeatedly with little discomfort, FZ1 not so much. The 1 is still a good bike for long distances, but the 6 is significantly better. Supposedly the 1gen FZ1 is a much better tourer, but I just couldn't go back to carbs.

Next biggest thing is fuel consumption/capacity. FZ6 has 19L gas tank, FZ1 has 18L gas tank. FZ6 fuel economy was about 50mpg, with minor 5mpg fluctuation depending on what I was doing. On the FZ1, I've seen anywhere from 25mpg to 40mpg depending on how I ride, averaging about 35mpg. That translates to a steady 360km range to dead empty on the 6, to an average range of 260km to dead empty on the 1. The 6 engine was stock aside from a slipon, where the 1 has a PC3 and full Yosh exhaust. Probably doesn't help fuel economy, but my numbers are similar to what most others are seeing.

Wind protection is about the same, maintenance is the same, tires are more expensive and more frequent on the 1 with the 190 rear and more power. Luggage options are the same. I've had full Givi hard bags on both. Handling feel is similar, but the suspension on the 6 is obviously inferior. Doesn't cost too much to fix, I had R6S forks on mine. Both have centre stands for easy maintenance on the go. FZ1 has awesome stator output if you're using heated gear

The FZ1 has more power, and is a lot of fun that way, but you can't really use it to it's full potential around town without killing yourself or getting in trouble. The 6 is a lot more usable at legal speeds, and in that regard, more fun.

Edit: the underseat exhaust on the 6 looks absolutely bitchen, and actually runs/feels cooler in traffic compared to the 1

photo%2520%25281%2529.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom