Stuck at the crossroads... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stuck at the crossroads...

Iceman

Like the title says, I'm stuck. In the last 4-5 years I have owned the following bikes: vstrom 1000, 1200 goldwing, bandit 1200s, shadow 1100, sv650s, ninja 500, gsxr600, yzf750, klr650, drz400s, ktm200xcw, ktm 300xc, and a klx250s. Those aren't in chronological order. A couple I only bought to flip. They all left something to be desired in some way. My favourites are easily the bandit, and the strom. ( on the street lol)
I am shopping now for spring, and I am considering the fz09, bandit 1200/50, fz1, also really interested in the fj09 when it's available. I'm finding I lean towards what I call "play bikes" designed for hooliganism, hence the fz09. I like what I've read, suspension doesn't bother me, I know I can upgrade it relatively cheaply. But for commuting, a naked May not be the best choice. The fz1 solves the issue with a small fairing, but the high rpm engine may not be for me, I liked the bandit, having the torque hit much earlier is more useable and a lot of fun. Looked at a fazer 8,(fz8 with fairing) but it sounds kinda bland in engine performance.
It's a nice place to be stuck(looking at new(ish) bikes to buy, but if I don't stop going in circles I won't have a bike this year at all! :)
Any thoughts? .02 cents? Am I missing any bikes?
It will be used to commute, play, and ride two up with the kid. Wife rides her own, so no adult passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z1000 / Ninja 1000 (same basic bike, take your pick). Friend of mine has one and likes it a lot.

FJ-09 .... Light and powerful .... Should be fun bike, if it's within your budget.

1290 superduke does it all well

sent from a device using a program

In an ideal world, I'd be on an 1190/1290 adventure "r" model. However price is a concern. Trying to budget $10000 max, taxes etc in.

Z1000 / Ninja 1000 (same basic bike, take your pick). Friend of mine has one and likes it a lot.

Like the z1000, ninja is still a little too sports oriented ergos for me.

Don't get the R unless you want it for mainly off road. The std is much better on the road and almost as good off

sent from a device using a program

FJ-09 .... Light and powerful .... Should be fun bike, if it's within your budget.

This one has me just as excited as the fz09, probably a better fit for my use. Just can't seem to find out when it'll get to Canada.
I also like the luggage, handy for commuting, but it'll take me over $10000 pretty quickly.

FJ9 is already here, saw it at snow city before the bike show. They are taking orders for the spring.

Good value but it will exceed your 10 K budget. But if that has you interested, take a closer look at a Tiger 800 as well. For $1 000 more I would go with the Tiger.

Burgman 650. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
FJ9 is already here, saw it at snow city before the bike show. They are taking orders for the spring.

Good value but it will exceed your 10 K budget. But if that has you interested, take a closer look at a Tiger 800 as well. For $1 000 more I would go with the Tiger.

I better make some calls, see if any local dealers have one to check out. The tiger is an awesome bike, but I'd only buy the xc model, add luggage and the price is getting up there fast.
May have to pick up the fz, add a quick release windscreen and soft bags.:)

Fz09

FZ09 would be my first pick from what you are saying. Then the Ninja 1000. The ergonomics were not bad at all on it.

If the majority of your riding is in the city the fz9 I think is the bike to own. Coin toss between the fz1/fj09 for long distance rides. I've always liked the fz1's, but I must say the fj09 has caught my eye.

Have an 07 FZ1, sat on the FJ09 at the bike show. FJ09 has a very relaxed upright seating position, similar to what you'd find on any of the other street ADV bikes. FZ1 fits like a sport naked, you're upright, but it's still compact. With a -1 front sprocket, the engine is fun, but you'll get into trouble with the law very quickly if you go into the double digit rpm range often. That does add an element of boredom which is why I'm considering adding a DRZ400SM for commuting in the city.

FZ1 is a decent all-rounder if you like something that can do it all with reasonable competence. Full Givi hard luggage is available if you want to do some touring.

FZ8 is basically a detuned FZ1

BMW doesn't make anything I'd buy, I can't get past the headlights on the triple, and the other two are just too exotic for me. I like that I can buy Japanese and ride nearly trouble free forever. Having said that, I doubt I'll ever buy anything but euro for the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom