SOAR Racing Thread | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

SOAR Racing Thread

Just posted video of BOTT LW qualifier in the other thread. Will put a blog post up shortly. Fun weekend for me and I gained a lot of useful experience (including riding in the rain) but results were disappointing due mostly to mechanical issues and I had a little lowside in practice.

Don't try to follow Tim!!! Ha, glad you were ok there

mechanical issues and ducati eh? hummmmmmmmmmmm :)
how did you like the rain?

Yeah, the bike just seems to vibrate at a frequency that loosens stuff. Kind of an Italian Harley Davidson. This time it was a footpeg.

Riding in the rain was fine. I could have easily been knee down in many corners but decided not to push it since it was my first try on the rain tires, and it was already obvious that the track was drying and we would be racing on slicks anyway - so no need to try to find any real speed on those tires.

... and I had a little lowside in practice.

I had a fairly close view of that crash ... oops.

I finished 2nd in vintage behind Stuart Pilkington and considering that it is his vintage GSXR750 versus my FZR400, I was happy to keep him in sight, and only really lost ground a couple laps from the end when I came up behind a lapped rider at an inconvenient time. The bike is still bottoming the shock and destroying rear tires at race pace. The current theory is that it is packing down due to damping settings. I will run the VRRA weekend with three clicks less rebound damping in the shock. Front tire is fine and the bike feels fine on track until 6 or 7 laps in when the tire starts going off.

Yeah, the bike just seems to vibrate at a frequency that loosens stuff. Kind of an Italian Harley Davidson. This time it was a footpeg.

We saw you leaving before the rookie race, I assume you left due to the footpeg issue? We were wondering at the time why you weren't sticking around.

Disassemble the bike, apply blue locktite to every bolt while reassembling, wire anything that could cause you to pull out of a race and you'll atleast eliminate them from falling out/off and ending your weekend. Also apply dielectric grease to every last electrical connection to prevent further issues there as well.

This is why I spend so much time before a race weekend getting ready, it's easier to fix it at home on the lift then at the track scrounging for bolts. Crashing is an exception, that just happens and who knows what'll needed to be fixed.

Riding a rare bike means you have to be twice as prepared unless you like going home early.

Weekend started off with a bang for me. Went out for first practice just as the folks showed up to watch. Threw it down the road on the third lap out lol.

Went for the brakes on the short straight after OMG and realized I was catching Alex's 748 way faster than I should be on the brakes, kept squeezing and it wasn't slowing, then it bucked me off like a rodeo bull and slid down past the cones. Luckily it took almost no damage. Ground my peg and frame slider down a bit, a few scuffs on the tremclad, but otherwise good. My right glove pretty much exploded at the base of the fingers, but my hand was unscathed. Bickle said he'd never seen it before. My palm ended up turning a nice purple colour and my hip did it's best to match. Luckily it wasn't too much of a problem while riding the bike.

We pulled the pads afterwards and they were about as black as my tires and as glazed as the dohnuts in the pitbike race. Thankfully, Scott has some old pads off his 929 endurance bike that matched up. Cleaned the calipers thoroughly, sanded the pads, and put everything back together. Bedded them in up and down the pit lane and hoped for the best. I didn't realize until Sunday that the master reservoir was almost full to the brim so that could have had something to do with it too. Removed some fluid until it was between the marks.

Started the Lost Era Light race with no real idea of where to brake or even if they were even going to work at all so I rode pretty tentative and subsequently got passed by Kellen, and Tyler. By the end I was getting my braking markers down but the front guys were already gone. Saw bentley show me a wheel a few times but he never came past.

Onto the Rookie qualifier where I started 2nd and proceeded to pull the biggest wheelie ever off the line, damn near flipping the bike, and mashing my nards in the process. Dropped to 5th by T2, and was back to third by the end of the lap thanks to ATTS taking the long way around the carousel. Late apexed Big Daddy and drag raced Garrison down the drag strip straight into second place. Made a few mistakes trying to catch the leader and has settled for 2nd by the final lap. That is until he decided to take a washroom brake and ran wide off big daddy, letting me by for the win.

Lost Era Light final was pretty lackluster. Got a bad start trying not to replicate my wheelstand from Rookie the day before. By the time I got around the 2 guys immediately in front of me the lead pack was already halfway down the drag straight. It was a lonely race from then on. Gapped the guys behind while not being able to catch the guys in front. Somebody from the twins went down around half way. Brought it home in 5th.

The Rookie final as a barn burner. The first half was a proper melee on wheels. Passes coming almost every corner within the top 5. As my bike is among the slowest and oldest in the class I had to do all of my passing on the brakes. I had an epic duel for the first couple laps with the newcomer neil who was pitted next to us. He'd pass me down the drag straight, i'd get him on the brakes into OMG, then accidwently leave it in third, and he'd pass me again on the short straight, then I'd get him again into the carousel or T1. Eventually I made my moves and passed for the lead with over half the race already done. I thought I had it made, and put my head down and focused on nailing my marks and braking late. David, the guy who ran off while leading the heat race AND ran off at some point in this race, came up the inside onto the back straight with a few to go and it was on. He passed me down the straight and I did him on the brakes, he chopped my nose off but ran wide letting me back up the inside. Just as this was happening my rear Dunlop decided that it was done, in a hurry. Started sliding the rear almost every right hander. On the power and on the brakes. David passed me again and I made a couple mistakes and I missed the top of the box again. It was a hell of a race.

Gonna edit the videos tonight and have them up hopefully tomorrow.

Last edited:
Whew Kyle...got my heart pumping just reading that.

when you safety wire, leave about a half inch at the end and fold the safety wire in half so you dont cut yourself.
and for the footpeg, drill a hole and safety wire it.

I already do that thing with the tails on the danger wire. Still lots of opportunity for a spaz to poke himself when installing or removing the stuff.

Unfortunately there is no way to wire the screw that keeps coming out on the Spiegler pegs - it is way down inside the peg, only accessible with a long allen wrench. Now that I think of it, probably the reason the left one always comes off is because the peg itself is rotating counterclockwise and taking the screw with it. I am thinking I am going to have the pegs welded to the part that attaches to the rearset. That way the peg can't rotate and the screw can come completely undone if it likes with no ill effect.

YD- The peg was found again a 2nd time on Sunday afternoon near the starting line....ask the Polish mafia- they have it,LOL
Newman- Glad the brakes I had worked out for ya....and glad the brakes going away didn't bust you up too bad. I was hitting 178 kmh on the short chute where you fell before hitting the brakes- so, considering how ugly things can get at those speeds with no working brakes, you fared pretty well. Your Rookie final was fantastic......and your bike was the slowest in the group........your late braking was great, and the aggression showed into T1 was strong....if you slow play the gopro you can probably see me freaking out at race control,LOL

We stayed Sunday night, and had a nice BBQ and fire....it is soooo nice not having to rush back on the weekends that I can steal an extra day off of work. The entire family enjoyed the relaxing day and beautiful weathre before coming home tonite.

Last edited:
I already do that thing with the tails on the danger wire. Still lots of opportunity for a spaz to poke himself when installing or removing the stuff.

Unfortunately there is no way to wire the screw that keeps coming out on the Spiegler pegs - it is way down inside the peg, only accessible with a long allen wrench. Now that I think of it, probably the reason the left one always comes off is because the peg itself is rotating counterclockwise and taking the screw with it. I am thinking I am going to have the pegs welded to the part that attaches to the rearset. That way the peg can't rotate and the screw can come completely undone if it likes with no ill effect.

So drill the footpeg itself

or remove socket headed allen bolt....drill the shoulders of the socket at 6 points around its perimter......drill holes also in the hollow footpeg around it's perimter in a few spots......then install bolt with locktite...then thread racewire thru footpeg hole, string it thru socket head, out other side of socket head, thru opposite side of peg, and twist.

or remove socket headed allen bolt....drill the shoulders of the socket at 6 points around its perimter......drill holes also in the hollow footpeg around it's perimter in a few spots......then install bolt with locktite...then thread racewire thru footpeg hole, string it thru socket head, out other side of socket head, thru opposite side of peg, and twist.

If I understood that correctly it still wouldn't work. That would wire the screw to the peg, but the peg and the screw could still rotate together, unscrewing both from the carrier.

Oh wait...if I also wire the peg to the carrier so it can't rotate, that should work. Okay...that's a solution. Thanks fellas.

not sure who it was that won rookie but can someone warn him that its really dangerous to be weaving down a strait like he was before omg. there wasnt anyone close behind him luckily but I think that was his attempt at blocking on a strait.

Rookie Heat Race
[video=youtube;f1RjhC3ZHj8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1RjhC3ZHj8[/video]

not sure who it was that won rookie but can someone warn him that its really dangerous to be weaving down a strait like he was before omg. there wasnt anyone close behind him luckily but I think that was his attempt at blocking on a strait.
Yeah I couldn't quite figure out why he was doing that.

Still kicking myself for not attending. looked like fun and will be their for round 4, layout looked outstanding. who did win?

Back
Top Bottom