SOAR & RACE make big announcement at motorcycle supershow !? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

SOAR & RACE make big announcement at motorcycle supershow !?

*********!

Machinery can always play a role in the outcome of a race or championship.

With two riders of equal skill, the one with the better bike has an advantage. This is not debatable. I feel like I'm reading a George Orwell book and you people actually believe the ridiculous doublethink you're spewing forth.

No I'm not debating any of that. But that the facts (as in RACE results) aren't showing that the best riders, on the best machinery available, ever own the Sportsman classes. The trump card is RARELY the bike, and mostly the racer, and in the context of LE/Sportsman ONLY recently when the competition has been quite thin. If we start seeing larger grids with more competition, this will obviously change, and more people will start to build bikes specifically to do well in the class. Right now they just seem to be racing what is left over in their garages.

There is a lot of attention being paid to a hypothetical "Ringer" showing up on a built 10 year old bike who is going to miraculously attend all rounds. That's a lot of "ifs". That's all I was getting at.

Tim. Yup I did say the 2 yr newer bike makes LITTLE difference. By adding the word LITTLE instead of NO, I plainly stated that there is an advantage.......but again, there's that word LITTLE. A newer bike has advantages, And I of course agrred with that by stating that my much older one was at a disadvantage. Never once did I say that wasn't the case. 2 yrs older is a minor disadvantage- 18 yrs older would be a greater disadvantage.

Jim's bike was designed By Yamaha back in 1997. He is competing against bikes that are as much as 17 or 18 model years newer-Probably why he is finally looking to upgrade. He has managed to stay competitive on it for almost two decades. 18 yrs of advancement is nowhere close to the mere two that we are discussing in Lost Era here. My point is that the advantages a rider might gain in those two model yrs that are up for discussion are pretty minor in my opinion. OEM Slipper clutches and radial brakes. That's it. Fuel injected bikes have been allowed for a few yrs. Even the slipper clutch is an easily added option to an 03, and is far better than the OEM crap slippers anyways. And these minor possible advantages are acceptable to me as a rider, given that the inclusion of them in the class may lead to the possibility of bigger grids. I was using the Pro Superbike grid as an extreme example- but if you wanna talk Lost Era ok; there were 4-5 bike grids all season last yr......pretty small grids. Bigger grids in ANY class will draw more crowds. Who wants to watch a 4 bike race? Who wants to win a 4 bike race?

As far as bringing a 600 to Lost Era heavy- we all did it for yrs- I used to regularly chase CBR900's, GSXR 110's and R1's and YZF 750s with a 600. Everyone who goes into heavy with a 600 knows they are choosing a knife in a gunfight because they wanna ride an extra class with one bike. So whether the R6 you are on is a 99 or an 03 really doesn't matter much- you can still be outgunned by a mile. You better ride faster.

Working race control in 2014, I got to see up close the spectator reactions to on track action. They are excited and attentive when there is lots, and excitement wanes and they wander off when there isn't much to watch on track. More bikes, more battles, more spectators, more draw and more future coverage and sponsorships. Win/ win.

I find it absolutely amusing that you, of all people, are standing up for the guys who might be unfairly outgunned by a 2 yr newer machine- yet you were the one who cried the loudest, right here on this msg board, about why wasn't your Superbike allowed in the Dunlop/Bridgestone cup for years. An unfair advantage of much greater magnitude than a pair of radial brake calipers.

Last edited:
Don't have time atm to reply to all, but re: grid sizes

You are running off the assumption that any potential new 05 bike that come into the class will just be added to the grids from last year. Lol. How many guys on 98 ZX6Rs are still going to come out to race against 05 636s? You may actually see grid sizes decrease as the 2 generation gap bikes just pack it in, not wanting to just be grid fillers.

Cried the loudest?

**** you, Scott. I asked why a class that's running slicks doesn't permit the bikes that the slicks were designed for. You change the point you're trying to make several times in every post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point Kellen . True I was assuming that the bikes would add up-I didn't consider anyone dropping out.

Tim, your point back then was that TMP and GBM were small enough tracks that a big bike didn't have much advantage as shown by Amzy , Will, Aubrey and Mitch etc, so why not allow 1000's into the tire class. I am simply saying that you were all for letting someone have a 60 hp advantage back then, but not a marginal advantage now? Not changing the point- I had a few to make.
It's obvious we aren't gonna agree on the possible rule change.

Last edited:
Cried the loudest?

**** you, Scott. I asked why a class that's running slicks doesn't permit the bikes that the slicks were designed for. You change the point you're trying to make several times in every post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow dude.

passion. i like it. as for me. i like the older bikes. they fit my budget. and as for my wanting to upgrade, yes, just like i did with the 1993 zx7 i rocked until 2008??. I think i have reached the bikes limit, I am finally going consistently faster than the big guys back in the day when the bike was new.

Well, it appears that racing up north is a rather exclusive club. As a newly licensed competitor hoping to invest my time and money for the wonderful pleasure of racing bikes in the next many years, I like the idea that changes are being made to bring the separate clubs together. I only have a sideline perspective of the fragmentation which plagued the two series in the past, but I'm excited as a pig in sh*t to be a part of the changes to come. I may not currently be as invested as most of you, but I hope you seasoned veterans can overcome the growing pains which will be involved as it seems like there are good things in the works.

If I could find a class to race my 08 250R next year (outside of Endurance, which is what I hope to get my feet wet with this year), you can bet I'll make a point of being at every race possible. Fingers crossed.

And of course, a very big thank you to the fine folks working to make this all possible.

Hi, yeah it's me. Planning on coming back, just not sure on what. The Bandit is still in pieces with some bent front end issues. Been looking for a race prepped 600 old enough for Sportsman which I guess is now going to be Lost Era.

Gary, have you got any Bandit parts kicking around ? Need a lower triple/stem.

Hi, yeah it's me. Planning on coming back, just not sure on what. The Bandit is still in pieces with some bent front end issues. Been looking for a race prepped 600 old enough for Sportsman which I guess is now going to be Lost Era.

Gary, have you got any Bandit parts kicking around ? Need a lower triple/stem.

Don't know you Ken...but I should would like to know about road-racing a Bandit! I am assuming the old air-cooled type - 600 or 1200? Pre or post 2001 model? What suspension mods? What does it weigh? PM me?

Back
Top Bottom