SOAR & RACE make big announcement at motorcycle supershow !? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

SOAR & RACE make big announcement at motorcycle supershow !?

Hello, its' Michelle Tennier, marketing director/public relations for RACE. 2015 is going to be an exciting great year for road racing in Ontario. Change is happening in a positive direction for RACE and SOAR. Questions with concerns have been noted and confirmation of details will be occurring on January 12, 2015. A meeting with Ken, Chris and myself to finalize the details of the rule book is scheduled. The industry is moving in the right direction. Thank you for all your patience, support and contribution to the sport.

Michelle :)

Hello, its' Michelle Tennier, marketing director/public relations for RACE. 2015 is going to be an exciting great year for road racing in Ontario. Change is happening in a positive direction for RACE and SOAR. Questions with concerns have been noted and confirmation of details will be occurring on January 12, 2015. A meeting with Ken, Chris and myself to finalize the details of the rule book is scheduled. The industry is moving in the right direction. Thank you for all your patience, support and contribution to the sport.

Welcome to the thread Michelle :) and GTAM as well. There are many racers from both orgs on this site. Great place to throw ideas around. On a side note Chris just sent me an email if your talking to him let him know I am on my way out and will have a look later and get back to him.

In the summer when Tyler went to the race round and placed 8th , he was awarded with 1st place points. It took me out of first spot. was I upset , annoyed ? Sure, but in the end who the hell cares , stop complaining and remember were all out there to have fun.
And really, are we suppost to put a cap on lost era ? And say nothing from 03 on? Really guys ?
It will be better in the end with more riders more gids

Last edited by a moderator:
And really, are we suppost to put a cap on lost era ? And say nothing from 03 on? Really guys ?
It will be better in the end with more riders more gids

That's what lost era is.

Should there be a cap on vintage?

Should there be a displacement limit in 600?

Should 35 year old race in old boy?

Should anyone race in rookie?

Bigger grids are better right?

By the sounds of it it's going to stay at 12 years anyway which is great. So yeah, it will be limited to 03 (and 04 for 600rr, zx6r, r6)

Last edited:
Welcome to GTAM Michelle

On a positive note:
I am glad that Racing organizations instead of trying to **** on each other are actually working together.
I raced in SOAR and RACE last year and all I saw was a bunch of good people having fun so I am glad this will continue and that some or all of the opinions in here are taken into consideration as everyone pretty much has valid points.

How awesome it is that in Ontario only we have all these racing events available to us.

May 15-17 RACE Shannonville
May 22-24 SOAR Grand Bend
June 5-7 VRRA Shannonville
June 12-14 CSBK Calabogie
June 19-21 SOAR Grand Bend
July 3-5 RACE Shannonville

July 10-12 SOAR Grand Bend
July 17-19 VRRA Grand Bend
July 24-26 SOAR Grand Bend

Aug 7-9 RACE Shannonville
Aug 14-16 CSBK Mosport
Aug 21-23 VRRA Mosport
Sept 4-6 RACE Shannonville
Sept 11-13 SOAR Grand Bend

Sept 25-27 RACE Shannonville
Oct 2-4 SOAR Grand Bend

Combined Regional/National (Whenever that is going to be)

omg! why do people have this idea in their head that a newer bike means better results???? the bikes back 10 years ago were just as capable and i dont think many guys today can ride past the limit of the bike. a newer bike IS NOT going to make anyone faster. you either are fast enough or your not. so push a little harder and learn to slide, thats when its really fun.

... or sometime next season, as Ken has suggested.

It is great that RACE finally has a representative in this discussion. Welcome! We all need to work together. It will not be possible to please absolutely everyone - but if we can please most of the people most of the time, that would be a success.

If anyone in this thread knows about beating up new bikes on old superbikes, it's Jim (Race #171) ...

Actually TJ is was 7th and we were tied for 1st!:eek:

Last edited:
omg! why do people have this idea in their head that a newer bike means better results???? the bikes back 10 years ago were just as capable and i dont think many guys today can ride past the limit of the bike. a newer bike IS NOT going to make anyone faster. you either are fast enough or your not. so push a little harder and learn to slide, thats when its really fun.

This right here is the best point taken from this 10/12 year old bike discussion.

This right here is the best point taken from this 10/12 year old bike discussion.

There's no doubt that one can go fast on an old bike. We've been doing it! Thinking that same rider can't or won't shave some time off a lap on a better bike is just silly. Is this really what we are talking about here?

Actually TJ is was 7th and we were tied for 1st!:eek:

Oh trust me I don't give a **** lol
Just making a point everyone can't always be happy.
We would have battled for championship had I not missed 2 rounds (3 with the RACE round)

This!....and as TJ and Ty and Jim aluded to, There's this.
I personally, would gladly accept being stuck at a small mechanical disadvantage to help create the potential for full grids. By choice my first racebike was at a big disadvantage( so of course I may be alone or rare in this type of thinking). And when I discovered the bike had no 2nd gear and had no time or $ to fix the trans, I added a bunch of teeth out back, and tried to ride faster to make up for it. In Rookie, I didn't look at it like I was unfairly outgunned-I loved it every time I passed an 09 GSXR on my 94 YZF. Underdogging is exciting-and when you make it work it's a riot. Finishing midpack in a 26 rider race was awesome.....and I was on the oldest heaviest junk out there. Just take a look at Jim's videos of him running with brand new bikes ridden by factory guys, on a 98 R1.
My posts on this thread are just big picture thinking; racer turnout, spectator growth. Imagine a 20 bike Lost Era race?....and that's just a support class. Who wants to win a 3 or 4 bike race? Not much glory there. I think we once had 12 or 14 Lost Era bikes a couple yrs ago....but often, it's not even enough for contingency.

Look at the last couple Superbike races....4 bikes? How do we ever expect to draw in spectators that aren't our family and friends with grids like that? Do you think spectators come to see a runaway win? Or the fastest guy win? Nope. They wanna see battles. Hell, I wanna see battles. Often the best racing from spectator standpoint is midpack for 5 points.

I didn't mean to **** on the thread. Sorry. I guess my perspective is just different than most others.

Last edited:
This!....and as TJ and Ty and Jim aluded to, There's this.
I personally, would gladly accept being stuck at a small mechanical disadvantage to help create the potential for full grids. By choice my first racebike was at a big disadvantage( so of course I may be alone or rare in this type of thinking). And when I discovered the bike had no 2nd gear and had no time or $ to fix the trans, I added a bunch of teeth out back, and tried to ride faster to make up for it. In Rookie, I didn't look at it like I was unfairly outgunned-I loved it every time I passed an 09 GSXR on my 94 YZF. Underdogging is exciting-and when you make it work it's a riot. Finishing midpack in a 26 rider race was awesome.....and I was on the oldest heaviest junk out there. Just take a look at Jim's videos of him running with brand new bikes ridden by factory guys, on a 98 R1.
My posts on this thread are just big picture thinking; racer turnout, spectator growth. Imagine a 20 bike Lost Era race?....and that's just a support class. Who wants to win a 3 or 4 bike race? Not much glory there. I think we once had 12 or 14 Lost Era bikes a couple yrs ago....but often, it's not even enough for contingency.

Look at the last couple Superbike races....4 bikes? How do we ever expect to draw in spectators that aren't our family and friends with grids like that? Do you think spectators come to see a runaway win? Or the fastest guy win? Nope. They wanna see battles. Hell, I wanna see battles. Often the best racing from spectator standpoint is midpack for 5 points.

I didn't mean to **** on the thread. Sorry. I guess my perspective is just different than most others.

What I think when I read this:

- Jim's R1 is so far from stock it makes my 10R look like it still has headlights and mirrors. And can we ask why he's selling it and looking for a newer R1 if there's nothing wrong with running an older bike? That makes no sense.
- In one sentence you say that the bikes make little difference, in the next sentence you say there is a disadvantage with an older bike.
- In your own words you intentionally bought a non-competitive bike. You intentionally took a knife to a gun fight? I think you are alone in that thought process.
- What we're discussing here has very little to do with why we have small Expert grids.
- Some people actually want to do well. The don't want to be simple grid fillers. Is there an incentive to take a 90hp bike into Lost Era Heavyweight to fight for 5th overall? (Even though you suggest there is no disadvantage in racing a 99 R6 against an 03 R1) Small grids suggest there is not enough incentive.

Anyone who genuinely thinks there is no advantage whatsoever to running a newer better sorted bike is delusional.

What I think when I read this:

- Jim's R1 is so far from stock it makes my 10R look like it still has headlights and mirrors. And can we ask why he's selling it and looking for a newer R1 if there's nothing wrong with running an older bike? That makes no sense.
Anyone who genuinely thinks there is no advantage whatsoever to running a newer better sorted bike is delusional.

Because machinery is the deciding factor only in Expert/Pro classes, where riding proficiency is closer to the limit of the bike and differences between riders' skills are very small. In support classes, like LE or Sportsman, with many AM/Novice riders, the differences in skill level play a larger role in final outcome. Middleweight and Heavyweight champ Steve (Doc) Walker routinely smokes everyone else in the pack even though he's on an old, heavy air-cooled BMW boxer that barely makes 85 bhp. Oh, he's also a Pro Superbike rider. The other bikes that are regularly on the grid easily classify in the 12 year rule, as someone wrote earlier.

So although there may occasionally be a 10 year old bike on the grid, it's unlikely the rider has much experience or will do more than 2-3 rounds. Kellen you probably already know who your main competition will be and what they will be competing with. And taking Doc as an example (and Hans van Slewen, and Sean Nadeau, and Dean Plater, and Robert Cousineu (sp?)) I'm suggesting, Kellen, that the biggest performance improvement you can still make is your skill level. The 10 year rule is a non-issue.

Because machinery is the deciding factor only in Expert/Pro classes, where riding proficiency is closer to the limit of the bike and differences between riders' skills are very small. In support classes, like LE or Sportsman, with many AM/Novice riders, the differences in skill level play a larger role in final outcome. Middleweight and Heavyweight champ Steve (Doc) Walker routinely smokes everyone else in the pack even though he's on an old, heavy air-cooled BMW boxer that barely makes 85 bhp. Oh, he's also a Pro Superbike rider. The other bikes that are regularly on the grid easily classify in the 12 year rule, as someone wrote earlier.

So although there may occasionally be a 10 year old bike on the grid, it's unlikely the rider has much experience or will do more than 2-3 rounds. Kellen you probably already know who your main competition will be and what they will be competing with. And taking Doc as an example (and Hans van Slewen, and Sean Nadeau, and Dean Plater, and Robert Cousineu (sp?)) I'm suggesting, Kellen, that the biggest performance improvement you can still make is your skill level. The 10 year rule is a non-issue.

*********!

Machinery can always play a role in the outcome of a race or championship.

With two riders of equal skill, the one with the better bike has an advantage. This is not debatable. I feel like I'm reading a George Orwell book and you people actually believe the ridiculous doublethink you're spewing forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom