SOAR & RACE make big announcement at motorcycle supershow !? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

SOAR & RACE make big announcement at motorcycle supershow !?

Even without any rule changes the 2016 LE season would see 2004 ZX10Rs, 2004 CBR1000RRs and 2004 R1s eligible for LE. Those bikes are not "Lost Era" in the sense that the class is intended to be. They are still competitive in the Superbike classes with current bikes. Changing to a 10 year delay would mean that Luke's Superbike is LE eligible as of now. Seems a little silly to me. I think it would be prudent to consider a future rule change to clearly establish that Lost Era bikes are actually from a Lost Era.

How many of these " 2004 ZX10Rs, 2004 CBR1000RRs and 2004 R1s" have you see at the race track in the past year? Can't say i've seen one.

Sounds like "lost" era bikes to me.

How many of these " 2004 ZX10Rs, 2004 CBR1000RRs and 2004 R1s" have you see at the race track in the past year? Can't say i've seen one.

You mean like Luke Bauer's?

My two cents. Just some constructive feedback.

The rules for Sportsman/LE should be updated to reflect the technology gap between current bikes and the intent of the class. If the 10 or 12 year gap continues as it traditionally has the Sportsman or LE classes will cease to be what they were originally intended to be. 2003-2005 is the start of what I'd consider the modern sport bike era with sophisticated fuel injection, inverted forks, radial brakes, etc, etc.

Even without any rule changes the 2016 LE season would see 2004 ZX10Rs, 2004 CBR1000RRs and 2004 R1s eligible for LE. Those bikes are not "Lost Era" in the sense that the class is intended to be. They are still competitive in the Superbike classes with current bikes. Changing to a 10 year delay would mean that Luke's Superbike is LE eligible as of now. Seems a little silly to me. I think it would be prudent to consider a future rule change to clearly establish that Lost Era bikes are actually from a Lost Era.

Also, fresh pros/experts are allowed.

Bauer's 1000RR, Coulter's R1, Hy's 1000RR, Westbrook's B bike R1. That is half of a LE Heavy starting grid right there.

Bauer's 1000RR, Coulter's R1, Hy's 1000RR, Westbrook's B bike R1. That is half of a LE Heavy starting grid right there.

Westbrook and Bauer themselves on those bike would be legal.

This is why VRRA and other vintage roadracing orgs "freeze" each class (period) at a particular model year rather than going by age, and then in theory every few years come out with a new class to address the next generation (usually the age break happens when a particular new technology or groundbreaking bike comes out). This system is not perfect, either; usually the bikes that dominate each period are those from the last year or two of the period (e.g. mine!) but at least there is consistency.

2003 starts getting into some pretty "modern" bikes ... cbr600rr, zx6r ...

A proper Lightweight Superbike class that allows the traditional Lightweight bikes (fzr, rz, ex) while keeping out the cheaters (650 twins) but also allows the newer Ninja 250/300, cbr250/300, ktm rc390 would be good ... I sat on a 390 duke at the bike show and I think it would be a blast with better suspension on it.

I understand how people that made an investment in the latest Lost Era bike could be demotivated but playing devils advocate, I can also see how someone with a 10 year old bike that competed in RACE last year would be royally ****** if they were not allowed to race this season; even if it is one or two guys.

Impossible to make everyone happy all the time!

I am staying in SBK, I like watching the action from behind lol

Last edited:
We are not interested in competing with the VRRA for world vintage domination. The idea for LE was always to give the "tween" bikes a place to race. Meaning those that are not cutting edge compared to todays bikes but not old enough to be vintage. That really hasnt changed. As Tim is pointing out there are few bikes that would technically be legal but during that era these same bikes were dominant. I seriously doubt that Luke has much interest in LE. Doug may. Westbrook has always has a LE legal bike yet quit racing it long ago. Jeff comes here and there through the season. By the way on another note Jeff asked to and was granted Expert status this season. Regardless of the racing landscape in Canada a 2004 anything is not comparable to todays superbikes. They just are not look elsewhere for proof of that. Anyway guys lets not get all forum panty twisted for nothing lets wait and see what happens. What I will say in turn the class will always evolve as long as I have a say.

I understand how people that made an investment in the latest Lost Era bike could be demotivated but playing devils advocate I can also see how someone with a 10 year old bike that competed in RACE last year would be royally ****** if they were not allowed to race this season.

I am staying in SBK, I like watching the action from behind lol

I totally get that as well. But I invested personally and financially in winning the SOAR lost era title, not the ontario runoff. I would compete for the runoff at a disadvantage happily. Doing that would be a bonus.

A proper Lightweight Superbike class that allows the traditional Lightweight bikes (fzr, rz, ex) while keeping out the cheaters (650 twins) but also allows the newer Ninja 250/300, cbr250/300, ktm rc390 would be good ... I sat on a 390 duke at the bike show and I think it would be a blast with better suspension on it.

Ummmm Brian your "traditional" is covered in Vintage. 650 twins are included as they are also orphans and have to compete with aircooled Ducati's up to 1000 and pushrod bikes like BMW1200. Much better fit against a built FZR/EX IMO. As for the guy who started VRRA P4 against HUGE resistance I can tell you first hand the VRRA system is rife with issues and controversy. I have always said the smartest thing VRRA could do is to have the latest class be revolving. It allows progression and as a class is defined it can be branched off and become a period no fuss no muss. Instead of the kick, punch, *****,argue the next period in. Imagine if I was shot down at introducing P4 where would they be know? Look at the fight going on in their masters class. Was 45, then 50 now they are talking 55-60. Why? Because same dudes getting older and their perception of age is skewed accordingly. So guy that used to whoop at 50 is now 60 and them youngin 50 year olds are beating them. Sigh

04 R1 is the same as 06 or not? I thought they were the same from 04-07

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any chances Ken 1000's be allowed to run old boys?? 1000 worked well in Bridgestone cup and open sprint. In my case they're all faster than me now.lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lost Era Heavy legal bikes can run old boy. Lol.

My bike is an 05
2004-2006 r1 same bike, 07-08 newer design , 09-14 cross plane
So my bike regardless of changes next year is lost era compliant :)

Slight changes to 06 including swingarm design, suspension components and slipper clutch

Engine is the same however

FWIW 05 R6/600RR are not legal with the 12 year rule due to smallish changes from the 03/04 models so it would be up to Ken if the 06 is the "same" as the 04/05 R1

04 R1 is the same as 06 or not? I thought they were the same from 04-07

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 different swingarm, more motor slightly different frame.

Lost HW struggled at SOAR this year, only two regular HW bikes in that class the rest were LE light bikes and some pot pourri added to the mix.

The guys that have bought the 03+R6's should still have a very competitive bike against even against 05-06 600rr's and 636's in lost era light.

I understand Kellen's view, a 12 month as opposed to a 6 month window would be nice to have. Not sure what can be done between now and round 1.

Back
Top Bottom