Snow tires | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Snow tires

I'm barely getting 15l/100 in my 135i, mostly city...........can get closer to 12l/100 if it's all highway but I rarely drive that much highway. The winters have been good so far but I drove Thursday night when it was snowing and it was rough, was fish tailing quite a bit and had one *** puckering moment. Winters can only do so much when the conditions are complete crap.

Edit: Wait I'm a retard...fixed the math now

A quaife lsd helps the 135i greatly overall and helps winter driving as well. Fun cars with a tune!

I'm barely getting 15l/100 in my 135i, mostly city...........can get closer to 12l/100 if it's all highway but I rarely drive that much highway. The winters have been good so far but I drove Thursday night when it was snowing and it was rough, was fish tailing quite a bit and had one *** puckering moment. Winters can only do so much when the conditions are complete crap.

That is bad for that model of car. Average on Fuelly is ~10. Actually, it's pretty bad for any car. Even my AWD vehicles are under 12 and I drive in a way that should give me about the worst mileage possible.

I bought a truck back in Oct and put on a set of Goodyear Duratrac tires to get me through this first winter. They're winter rated but they're not a dedicated snow tire. They're doing pretty well. I get some slippage in slick conditions but in any kind of real snow these things bite. Feels good on the brakes too. I recommend them if you're looking for an aggressive all-terrain tire that's competent in the snow. I'll probably pick up snow tires next winter but for now I'm quite satisfied with these.

Wow that's terrible mileage ... I thought they would get alot better then that. I get 15L to 16L / 100km on a 5.3L V8 SUV with a 4 speed autobox and AWD in city. about 12-13L / 100KM on highway. I'm running regular 87 octane, I bet you have to pay for premium too ?

Drove to Ottawa and back yesterday for work. It started snowing around Belleville and never stopped. Roads were bad. 7 hours one way. Ironically enough made it there and back on one tank of gas. Averaged 8.2l/100km.

2008 grand cherokee diesel. I wouldn't want to that without awd and snow tires.

Wow that's terrible mileage ... I thought they would get alot better then that. I get 15L to 16L / 100km on a 5.3L V8 SUV with a 4 speed autobox and AWD in city. about 12-13L / 100KM on highway. I'm running regular 87 octane, I bet you have to pay for premium too ?
Yep, I will admit that I drive it like I stole it sometimes though and it's stick so I will hold gears sometimes, etc. but not like every set of lights is a drag race.

The thing is, I don't drive to work and maybe do like 100 km/week total, sometimes less, so it's not really a big deal. I fill up like once a month unless I actually drive somewhere furhter on a weekend. If I was doing 100km/day then yes, it would suck.

Yep, I will admit that I drive it like I stole it sometimes though and it's stick so I will hold gears sometimes, etc. but not like every set of lights is a drag race.

The thing is, I don't drive to work and maybe do like 100 km/week total, sometimes less, so it's not really a big deal. I fill up like once a month unless I actually drive somewhere furhter on a weekend. If I was doing 100km/day then yes, it would suck.

OK, driving habits to have a play in it ... if your doing so little mileage I'd opt for even worse mileage and drive the piss out of it too LOL

I didn't read far back... is yours the turbo car?

I believe the 135's are the turbo's the 128's are the non turbos ... could be wrong ...

Wow that's terrible mileage ... I thought they would get alot better then that.

They do .. when you run them steady at 90km/h ... which nobody does who buys one.

When you push any gas car, non-hybrid, these days in the cold weather and gridlocked traffic full of traffic lights and stop signs, you will be hard pressed to get under 10L. If you juts baby the throttle, you just might .... but I rather pay for extra gas than take another 10-15mins in traffic ...

I had a Chevy Cruze for a week, playing with the auto box holding revs a bit ..... I couldn't get under 12l/100km in my 2x15kms commute a day ... I4, 140HP.

If I got 160 kmh rated winter tires, are they safe to drive at that speed in warm temps... like the moab dessert?

If I got 160 kmh rated winter tires, are they safe to drive at that speed in warm temps... like the moab dessert?
I'd guess they'd just wear out really fast.

Anyone have experience with a rwd car with snow tires? How is it? I plan on driving my Frs next winter, tried it with all seasons for the first snow fall and it was terrifying.

(tried searching rwd and rear wheel drive in the search function and nothing came up in the thread.

Anyone have experience with a rwd car with snow tires? How is it? I plan on driving my Frs next winter, tried it with all seasons for the first snow fall and it was terrifying.

(tried searching rwd and rear wheel drive in the search function and nothing came up in the thread.
How long have you been driving?

RWD is not great in slippery conditions.

I drove my 944 all winter (with snows) but I've also taken skid control classes and regularly drift the thing in slippery conditions for fun.

The RWD van at work I can tell would be kind of terrifying but the traction / stability control makes it impossible to spin. We have snows on that, too. Our pickups are fairly ok in snow when in RWD even with just all seasons but we use snows now. I think the van is just way too light in the back. You still always have to be more careful than with FWD.

That said, I drive an AWD car in the winter. Only so I can street park in 2 ft of snow. FWD is actually the safest when it's slippery, imo, despite what car companies will try to tell you.

I'm surprised whatever stability control your FRS has didn't make the drive pretty tame. My 944 has nothing. Not even air bags or ABS. Only reasons I don't drive it all year is because of salt and I'm worried I'll get stuck if we get a big snow fall.

Last edited:
How long have you been driving?

RWD is not great in slippery conditions.

I drove my 944 all winter (with snows) but I've also taken skid control classes and regularly drift the thing in slippery conditions for fun.

The RWD van at work I can tell would be kind of terrifying but the traction / stability control makes it impossible to spin. We have snows on that, too. Our pickups are fairly ok in snow when in RWD even with just all seasons but we use snows now. I think the van is just way too light in the back. You still always have to be more careful than with FWD.

That said, I drive an AWD car in the winter. Only so I can street park in 2 ft of snow. FWD is actually the safest when it's slippery, imo, despite what car companies will try to tell you.

I'm surprised whatever stability control your FRS has didn't make the drive pretty tame. My 944 has nothing. Not even air bags or ABS. Only reasons I don't drive it all year is because of salt and I'm worried I'll get stuck if we get a big snow fall.

Been driving for 5 years. I drove a beater 2003 Jeep liberty sport for the winter. No traction control, no abs, no stability control, drum brakes in the rear. Does burnouts on almost every bit of gas given from a stop. And sometimes the only way to stop it in the snow is by locking the wheels because the brake bite is either really strong or non existent. There's no in between. Its awd and that helps in some situations. unfortunately I hit black ice a couple weeks ago and rear ended someone after locking wheels (wasn't tail gating or speeding, slid a couple car lengths) and I really don't want to drive it anymore (never really wanted to drive it because of the above reasons but my parents forced me to.) funny enough the accident happened a day after me saying "I don't want to drive this think anymore, it's not safe" but what ever.

My Frs on the other hand has abs sc and tc and I think these are necessary for Canadian driving and my Jeep is outdated beyond belief. I see a couple Frs' driving in the winter so apparently it can be done.

(edit the reason my tc and sc didn't help with the all seasons is because they are the same tires that are on a prius . They're shite.

Last edited:

I had a RWD minivan with snows, it wasn't too bad except when i hit some ice with a crosswind. sent me into the ditch on the other side of the road. Deep snow was not any fun.

I had a RWD minivan with snows, it wasn't too bad except when i hit some ice with a crosswind. sent me into the ditch on the other side of the road. Deep snow was not any fun.
Damn... I guess sandbags are a must in my car. On a hot summer day cross winds blow me out of my lane on the highway.

Been driving for 5 years. I drove a beater 2003 Jeep liberty sport for the winter. No traction control, no abs, no stability control, drum brakes in the rear. Does burnouts on almost every bit of gas given from a stop. And sometimes the only way to stop it in the snow is by locking the wheels because the brake bite is either really strong or non existent. There's no in between. Its awd and that helps in some situations. unfortunately I hit black ice a couple weeks ago and rear ended someone after locking wheels (wasn't tail gating or speeding, slid a couple car lengths) and I really don't want to drive it anymore (never really wanted to drive it because of the above reasons but my parents forced me to.) funny enough the accident happened a day after me saying "I don't want to drive this think anymore, it's not safe" but what ever.

My Frs on the other hand has abs sc and tc and I think these are necessary for Canadian driving and my Jeep is outdated beyond belief. I see a couple Frs' driving in the winter so apparently it can be done.

(edit the reason my tc and sc didn't help with the all seasons is because they are the same tires that are on a prius . They're *****.

Of course it can be done. I see all kinds of crazy cars on the road in the winter. That said, it doesn't sound like it would be a great idea for you. It would be completely doable, though. If you thought it was terrifying on all seasons, snow tires will be better but it's not going to make a massive impact. My AWD Outlander has no ABS, tc, sc and I think it's great for our winters (although having those things would make it a little safer). If you're depending on all the electronic nannies often you are not driving properly (sorry).

Yeah I learned to drive on RWD minivans. They're not terrible. Vans tend to want to spin around because the rear end is so light.

Back
Top Bottom