Snow tires | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Snow tires

gave the Bridgestone DM-V1s (not really a BS fan, but gave em a try anyway) a whirl, needless to say, exceptional in snow and ice.

But man, the handling on these are horrendous. My SUV has handling that can put most cars to shame. But with these tires.....worst handling tire I've ever owned.

gave the Bridgestone DM-V1s (not really a BS fan, but gave em a try anyway) a whirl, needless to say, exceptional in snow and ice.

But man, the handling on these are horrendous. My SUV has handling that can put most cars to shame. But with these tires.....worst handling tire I've ever owned.

Had them on a Nissan Rogue. Braking on drive payment sure noticed a lot of squirm and had to correct my line at times. Definitely a soft compound but, they did very well cutting through slush and snow and grip for acceleration and stopping we very good under those conditions.

Was very happy to take them off at the end of the season.

It does hurt the fuel economy tho.

Ditto on the mpg hit. Steady 29 - 30 prior to winter tires.
It's gone down to 22 - 23.

I'm ~5000kms into my 1st set of winter tires............ever. ('bout 45 winters on the road)
I have to admit, they actually do perform better than all seasons.
There ya go Sunny, I said it! :)
Will I buy them again? It's 50/50 atm. Update after the winter.

I have to admit, they actually do perform better than all seasons.
There ya go Sunny, I said it! :)

naaaaaaah, according to GTAM experts, its all just a marketing gimmick from the tire comps to get you to spend more money.... :rolleyes:

naaaaaaah, according to GTAM experts, its all just a marketing gimmick from the tire comps to get you to spend more money.... :rolleyes:

naaaaaah, no gimmick, it's a question of necessity

naaaaaah, no gimmick, it's a question of necessity

Correct......... and like big muscles, a huge bank account, a trophy wife, SUV's, fast motorcycles and sports cars,

not 'necessities', but worthwhile to have.....

Correct......... and like big muscles, a huge bank account, a trophy wife, SUV's, fast motorcycles and sports cars,

not 'necessities', but worthwhile to have.....

Thanks, but if I'm correct doesn't that make your original assertion wrong? Is this a game to you?:eek: Lives are in the balance!

Now I'm confused. Many gtam'ers giving me crap because I put Michelin LTX M+S2's on my Pilot, and not dedicated winter tires. And now I see people complaining about having to compensate for the poor handling of said winter tires on dry pavement. With the exception of about 2 days this year, all I have driven on, is dry pavement. And I also have the luxury of a short commute. Am I missing something here?
Maybe after I try winter tires, I may have a different opinion, but worse gas mileage, handling etc. But that one time it snowed bad..... If it's that bad out there, I'm staying home. I've got nothing that important to do, anyway.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

^^ sounds like you made the right choice for 'you' which is all that matters....

Sent from my Passport

Now I'm confused. Many gtam'ers giving me crap because I put Michelin LTX M+S2's on my Pilot, and not dedicated winter tires. And now I see people complaining about having to compensate for the poor handling of said winter tires on dry pavement. With the exception of about 2 days this year, all I have driven on, is dry pavement. And I also have the luxury of a short commute. Am I missing something here?
Maybe after I try winter tires, I may have a different opinion, but worse gas mileage, handling etc. But that one time it snowed bad..... If it's that bad out there, I'm staying home. I've got nothing that important to do, anyway.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

The Michelins you have are adequate for most winter use. I've run lots of them in the winter and I will take them over a cheapo winter tire any day. But they do also have the snowflake winter rating.

Every winter tire i have had handled better on dry pavement in the winter then any all seasons they replaced. But then again you get what you pay for.

The Michelins you have are adequate for most winter use. I've run lots of them in the winter and I will take them over a cheapo winter tire any day. But they do also have the snowflake winter rating.

Every winter tire i have had handled better on dry pavement in the winter then any all seasons they replaced. But then again you get what you pay for.

I did hear that about the Michelins, hence why I bought them. Quite happy, especially as they are new.
The winters you are describing are what I would consider. I don't think compromising one feature for another is beneficial.

I put my almost worn out michelin winters on a few days before new years. Glad I did. I went to key west with them. On the way it was raining and -2 in Virgia. No salt. They held surprisingly well. On the way back I caught the friday snow nuking in NY. I pushed through a foot of snow along 5 since 90 was closed. I was really surprised I made it home. I know the merit goes to my awesome driving skills but having quattro + winters helped.

One thing I noticed my new audi felt less stable at 80km/hr+ than my old audi. Both cars are quattro, but the old one had 195 tires and the new one has 215. Could the wider tires noticeably affect tracking? The old car was also way heavier. I know, there are lots of other factors that could have affected handling.

Also my mileage through florida was just as good as I get in the summer. 6.8L/100KM.

In some places you do need Snow Tires. In Toronto, you mostly don't, and if you do, they call in the army. ;)

People always conveniently blame tires for increased fuel consumption in winter.
To be honest, yes it is true, the more aggressive the tire is, the less efficient the vehicle, however, your mileage will not go down 30-40% because you have bought winter tires.

I found this article online:

Cold weather affects your vehicle in more ways than you might expect:

• Engine and transmission friction increases in cold temperatures due to cold engine oil and other drive-line fluids.
  • It takes longer for your engine to reach its most fuel-efficient temperature. This affects shorter trips more, since your car spends more of your trip at less-than-optimal temperatures.
  • Heated seats, window defrosters, and heater fans use additional power.
  • Warming up your vehicle before you start your trip lowers your fuel economy—idling gets 0 miles per gallon.
  • Colder air is denser, increasing aerodynamic drag on your vehicle, especially at highway speeds.
  • Tire pressure decreases in colder temperatures, increasing rolling resistance.
  • Winter grades of gasoline can have slightly less energy per gallon than summer blends.
  • Battery performance decreases in cold weather, making it harder for your alternator to keep your battery charged. This also affects the performance of the regenerative braking system on hybrids.
In severe winter weather, your mpg can drop even further.

• Icy or snow-covered roads decrease your tires' grip on the road, wasting energy.
  • Safe driving speeds on slick roads can be much lower than normal, further reducing fuel economy, especially at speeds below 30 to 40 mph.
  • Using four-wheel drive uses more fuel.

my research reveals a 2-3% penalty for using winter tires when it comes to fuel, and I'm ok with that.....

most winter tires are notorious for horrendous 'rolling resistance', which adds to fuel economy penalty.

I put my almost worn out michelin winters on a few days before new years. Glad I did. I went to key west with them. On the way it was raining and -2 in Virgia. No salt. They held surprisingly well. On the way back I caught the friday snow nuking in NY. I pushed through a foot of snow along 5 since 90 was closed. I was really surprised I made it home. I know the merit goes to my awesome driving skills but having quattro + winters helped.

One thing I noticed my new audi felt less stable at 80km/hr+ than my old audi. Both cars are quattro, but the old one had 195 tires and the new one has 215. Could the wider tires noticeably affect tracking? The old car was also way heavier. I know, there are lots of other factors that could have affected handling.

Also my mileage through florida was just as good as I get in the summer. 6.8L/100KM.

Which Audi do you drive now? I get double your gas consumption with a v6.. maybe it's time to retire the old bird...

People always conveniently blame tires for increased fuel consumption in winter.
To be honest, yes it is true, the more aggressive the tire is, the less efficient the vehicle, however, your mileage will not go down 30-40% because you have bought winter tires.

I found this article online:

Cold weather affects your vehicle in more ways than you might expect:

• Engine and transmission friction increases in cold temperatures due to cold engine oil and other drive-line fluids.
  • It takes longer for your engine to reach its most fuel-efficient temperature. This affects shorter trips more, since your car spends more of your trip at less-than-optimal temperatures.
  • Heated seats, window defrosters, and heater fans use additional power.
  • Warming up your vehicle before you start your trip lowers your fuel economy—idling gets 0 miles per gallon.
  • Colder air is denser, increasing aerodynamic drag on your vehicle, especially at highway speeds.
  • Tire pressure decreases in colder temperatures, increasing rolling resistance.
  • Winter grades of gasoline can have slightly less energy per gallon than summer blends.
  • Battery performance decreases in cold weather, making it harder for your alternator to keep your battery charged. This also affects the performance of the regenerative braking system on hybrids.
In severe winter weather, your mpg can drop even further.

• Icy or snow-covered roads decrease your tires' grip on the road, wasting energy.
  • Safe driving speeds on slick roads can be much lower than normal, further reducing fuel economy, especially at speeds below 30 to 40 mph.
  • Using four-wheel drive uses more fuel.

The big jumps are probably from the off-road winter tires on trucks which absolutely will take a knife to your jugular and make you bleed, sweat, cry gasolina till your wallet is lighter. The list missed steel wheels that are most likely a handful of pounds heavier than your summer alloys. Combine that with the majority downsizing one inch on the rim, the resulting larger/taller tire will also add weight. More unsprung weight = worse mileage.

1.8T avant 6 speed. That's far from typical fuel consumption. I rarely get 6.8 in perfect conditions at 110km/h in cruise. My overall trip was 7.8 including the snowstorm. Before that it was 7.6. It's way better than I expected anyways.

I'm barely getting 15l/100 in my 135i, mostly city...........can get closer to 12l/100 if it's all highway but I rarely drive that much highway. The winters have been good so far but I drove Thursday night when it was snowing and it was rough, was fish tailing quite a bit and had one *** puckering moment. Winters can only do so much when the conditions are complete crap.

Edit: Wait I'm a retard...fixed the math now

Last edited:
My wifes santa fe drops ~15% in mileage when the winter tires are swapped on (the difference is noticed on the first tank). The VW was ~7.5l/100 pushing through the storm in ottawa a week ago, but once it got out of the slushy crap, the average dropped to 4.9L/100. Not too shabby and the same as with summer tires.

The old and slightly cracked Toyo G02's that came on my Outlander seem pretty good. Grip on recommended 40 kph ramps/curves at 100 even when it's -20 out so that's good enough for me. Don't risk much faster than that even when I had the WRX in the summer. Seem to chew through snow pretty well. Not so great in slushy wet stuff but I don't think many tires are.

Back
Top Bottom