Sleeper Bikes | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sleeper Bikes

The current generation of the Honda Valkyrie is reputed to do the quarter mile in 11.92 seconds and 0-60mph in 3.4s. That isn't spectacular, but it's not too shabby for a naked Goldwing.

(edit:

attachment.php

according to http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/reviews/bmw-k1600gtl-vs-honda-gl1800-gold-wing-mc-comparo a stock GL1800 will turn 12.12 in the quarter-mile. That bike is a sleeper! FJR1300 is much faster and ST1300 is a bit faster, but they both *LOOK* sporty )

Last edited:
I'll second what somebody else said about the old Bandit 1200's. They were great, and bulletproof.

Not that I'm biased, but I think my bike is a pretty good sleeper. 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400. It's basically a ZX14 thats had a few too many buffet dinners but it still screams, and with full luggage I've surprised a lot of sport bike dudes. I'll be flashing it this winter for better low and midrange power too..... people knock it because it's big and heavy and doesn't have cruise control or electronic suspension, but the motor is a beast. It has no right to be as quick and fast as it is.

There is a lot of "it's not the bike, it's the rider".

A good friend of mine has a bone stock grom including the stock tires still on it, and he caught and passed a few 600cc sport bikes at Deals Gap with it - all 9 horsepower strong.

The VFR800 in any generation is a dull looking (in my opinion) but extremely competent motorcycle.

Harleys are a crap shoot. A lot of them are just that (in my opinion, again) ... crap. But then you get the occasional one that's been tuned properly instead of just having straight pipes thrown on, and which has had the suspension and brakes sorted out, and which gets ridden properly.

Goldwings can be pretty surprising considering how long and heavy they are.

I've seen maxi-scooters being ridden at an alarming pace on winding back roads, too.

Two up on my old Wing we were passing sport bikes on the BRP in the rain. I'm not fast they were just slow.

I've seen maxi-scooters being ridden at an alarming pace on winding back roads, too.

and off the line the CVT is startling but 50-60 HP only takes it so far. It's more the look of the bike that startles given the acceleration but I'd not really consider them sleepers ....tho close. I used to annoy my kid off the line :D

All these current upright seating 150+ HP, 500 lb beasties are sleepers ...You expect a SS style bike to be quick - just from the looks alone ....not so much a bike like the S 1000 XC

Lots of posts on lots of bikes that supposedly are sleepers. I tend to be much more critical of what constitutes a sleeper bike. Bikes have been fast since they were invented, and most of the public knows that. A sleeper bike can't just be fast, it has to be very fast.

For me there are two parts that make up a sleeper bike. First, a sleeper bike has to be as fast as current sportbikes, and pretty much faster than the 600's. With that in mind, I'd consider a sub 11 second 1/4 mile a good performance measure to meet. A sleeper bike should simply be faster than most motorcycles out there. And for the second part, the type or style should not have a history of being very fast, otherwise it's not a sleeper. With that criteria there isn't much to choose from, but frankly the list for sleeper bikes should be short, otherwise everything is a sleeper bike. So for me, naked (aka std) bikes, touring bikes and even harleys (haha) are not sleeper bikes.

Naked bikes in the early days were the sport bikes of the time. And even after fairing bikes were developed there have been a lot of very fast naked std bikes available. Not a sleeper.

Touring bikes have always been fast, at least compared to cars. Nothing new here or to write home about. They have also generally been faster than many mid-displacement bikes (displacement matters often times). Fast, yes, but not very fast. You just don't see real life examples around the GTA of sub 11 second versions, or NOS wings as posted). Not a sleeper.

Harley's and custom choppers have always been fast compared to cars too. Even if slow compared to many bikes, many are modified to bring about a lot more power/speed. A fair amount of very fast heavily modified examples are out there and in the GTA. Not a sleeper bike.

A slow sportbike is not a sleeper as I mentioned in an earlier post. It is just that, a slow sportbike.

For me, one type of standout sleeper bike are the relatively new crop of fast adventure bikes that have come onto the scene. The traditional offerings in that type have forever been known to be much slower and lower hp, with a utilitarian off-road look that is far from exuding a sense of fast street performance. And it is only relatively recently that very fast examples have been produced. There are some obvious new specific adv bike examples where the manufacturer has put a monster sportbike engine in an ADV framed bike. Even if the bike is heavy 150+ hp easily overcomes that. A sleeper to the public big time. Interestingly there are a few middleweight engines out there in ADV bikes that still do sub 11 second 1/4 miles because of not only a great motor, but also light light weight. Those are the biggest sleepers imo because they are surprising to both the public and to many riders.

A scooter could be a sleeper bike, but even heavily modified, you just don't see real life examples out here. So no bueno for me.

As for a rider giving a bike sleeper status, yes, but that's about the rider, not the bike. I'd assume we all know that it is 90% rider on a motorcycle. I focused on the bike here in this discussion since the thread title is sleeper bikes.

Last edited:
Luggage, especially the much maligned milk crate, would serve to move any motorcycle into the realm of sleeper status. As far as the rider goes bags under the eyes couldn't hurt.

For me, one type of standout sleeper bike are the relatively new crop of fast adventure bikes that have come onto the scene.

yup tho I'd add in the 500 lb or less weight range.

lots of posts on lots of bikes that supposedly are sleepers. I tend to be much more critical of what constitutes a sleeper bike. Bikes have been fast since they were invented, and most of the public knows that. A sleeper bike can't just be fast, it has to be very fast.

For me there are two parts that make up a sleeper bike. First, a sleeper bike has to be as fast as current sportbikes, and pretty much faster than the 600's. With that in mind, i'd consider a sub 11 second 1/4 mile a good performance measure to meet. A sleeper bike should simply be faster than most motorcycles out there. And for the second part, the type or style should not have a history of being fast, otherwise it's not a sleeper. With that criteria there isn't much to choose from, but frankly the list for sleeper bikes should be short, otherwise everything is a sleeper bike. So for me, naked (aka std) bikes, touring bikes and even harleys (haha) are not sleeper bikes.

Naked bikes in the early days were the sport bikes of the time. And even after fairing bikes were developed there have been a lot of very fast naked std bikes available. Not a sleeper.

Touring bikes have always been fast, at least compared to cars. Nothing new here or to write home about. They have always been and are generally faster than many mid-displacement bikes. Fast but not super fast. Not a sleeper.

Harley's and custom choppers have always been fast compared to cars too. Even if slow compared to many bikes, many are modified to bring about more notable speed. A fair amount of super fast heavily modified examples are out there. Not a sleeper bike.

A slow sportbike is not a sleeper as i mentioned in an earlier post. It is just that, a slow sportbike.

For me, one type of standout sleeper bike are the relatively new crop of fast adventure bikes that have come onto the scene. The traditional offerings in that type have forever been known to be much slower and lower hp, with a utilitarian off-road look that is far from exuding a sense of fast street performance. And it is only relatively recently that fast examples have been produced. There are some obvious new specific adv bike examples where the manufacturer has put a monster sportbike engine in an adv framed bike. Even if the bike is heavy 150+ hp easily overcomes that. A sleeper to the public big time. Interestingly there are a few middleweight engines out there in adv bikes that still do sub 11 second 1/4 miles because of a great motor, but also light weight. Those are the biggest sleepers imo because they are surprising to both the public and to many riders.

A scooter could be a sleeper bike, but even heavily modified, you just don't see real life examples out here. So no bueno for me.

As for a rider giving a bike sleeper status, yes, but that's about the rider, not the bike. I'd assume we all know that it is 90% rider on a motorcycle. I focused on the bike here in this discussion since the thread title is sleeper bikes.

what he said.
+1

If you have money to burn you can burn some rubber..

been there & done that

[video=youtube;CQXLBq_rs1E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQXLBq_rs1E[/video]

Back
Top Bottom