Sleeper Bikes | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sleeper Bikes

Have you ever ridden a Boss Hoss?
Have you ever tried to pass a Boss Hoss?
It's a damn fast bike. That's all I was saying.
Would I like to own one?
NO.

Is it a sleeper?

Kind of. I thought my sport bike would be faster than it.
I was wrong.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=rive...143j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=fxr+harley

www.hotbikeweb.com/bikes/separating-men-boys-history-fxr
"Instead of heavy castings, the FXR frame had a lot of welded stamped-steel parts," said LeRoy. "This was before the era of robotic welding, so it all had to be assembled by hand. It was expensive and difficult to manufacture
<snip>
Since then the reputation of the FXR as "best Harley ever" has stuck, and in the minds of former owners, it's probably the truth.
http://www.hotbikeweb.com/fxrevolution
There’s no denying that the return of the FXR is in full swing. Love it or hate it, what was once the bike of choice for a select few riders in the know has now hit the mainstream and is becoming one of the most sought after used bikes today. As the garage finds and backyard bargains begin to disappear, it wasn’t going to be long until someone in the aftermarket stepped in to fill the supply where the demand has left short.
https://www.google.ca/webhp?hl=en&s...1O_PAhUIx2MKHfLdDj0QPAgD#hl=en&q=big+bear+fxr
The BBC Wide FXR Frame is a 100% dimension FXR frame. We build them the same way Harley-Davidson built them. This frame is 100% accurate and straight to the exact dimensions of a brand new FXR frame. This frame is widened in the rear to support a 180" tire, and takes Dyna mid controls. This frame is built by BBC and is Made In The USA.

I haven't ridden one but I'd imagine the big KTM adventure bikes would fit into a sleeper category.

+1...

I have a neighbor with a KTM Adventure 1190 and I wonder how many riders and non riders realize that the beast has 150 hp on tap?

I also think that the bigger sport touring bikes fit into this category. While they do not make the big HP of the big bore sport bikes they make a whack of torque in the low and mid range that can surprise a lot of riders.

Wow. A lot of fancy words to describe a mundane bike. Not one mention of horsepower.
Torque > Horsepower. That's why it's called a Horsepower curve ;)

We rented a 2012 (air cooled) R1200RT to 2-up tour in Spain. Fully loaded it still handled the Pyrenees twisties quite well. Surprisingly nimble & fast in the twisties & sweepers considering it's a luxury tourer with only 110 hp.

What are the actual horsepower numbers on those bikes?
Well for starters, how's this sound? 1994 harley fxr super glide, 47hp, 63.7ft/lbs torque and 575lbs dry weight. Sounds like a sleeper to me.
But wait, they say it handled really well.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Torque > Horsepower. That's why it's called a Horsepower curve ;)
I agree that torque is more fun, but it's still called a torque curve.

47 hspr isn't going to rip my arm out of the sockets, by a long shot.

SLEEPER? Maybe, it never wakes up.

And it handles well for a Harley.
Apples and oranges.

Well for starters, how's this sound? 1994 harley fxr super glide, 47hp, 63.7ft/lbs torque and 575lbs dry weight. Sounds like a sleeper to me.
But wait, they say it handled really well.

My friend had a real sleeper back in the day. A katana 750 with a katana 1100 engine tossed in. A hell of a lot faster than anyone expects from a katana 750.
Got the idea from a Cycle Canada project bike they built.

Brings back a memory from my past.
We were booking it at very high speeds.
Just as I thought about backing off to let my friend on his beaten down rat 83 GSXR1100. He flew by me like I was in 4th gear. Looked down at the speedo and had to check twice. That thing was FAST.

[video=youtube;pqmPsbZZVTM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqmPsbZZVTM[/video]

I would also agree on the VFR800.
Very quick capable bike, would never expect so much from them, unless you've seen a good rider on one.

Back
Top Bottom