Running.. ugghh | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Running.. ugghh

How about a GTAM 5km running/walking race?

Fast, slow, walking... it doesn't matter! Who's in???

I'm definitely in for this! Anyone else?

Moon in June went well. 10k in 49m55s and i finished 64th out of 240.

Yesterday i had my first ever duathlon (run, ride, run) and finished 23rd out of 65. I'm just getting over some food poisoning too so i wasn't quite on my game so I'm pretty happy with that result.

Thanks!

Re: Training
Well i've dropped about 50lbs since New Years which will help. With the distance running i've found that the easiest way for me to run farther is to focus on slowing my pace to add distance, once i get a bit more comfortable running that far i can increase the pace. The Running Room has a weekly running night that can help but i've found that i prefer running by myself.

For the riding: I have a mountain bike as well as a tri bike that I'm on a fair bit but spin classes have made a big difference. I'm a lot stronger in the ride than i am in the run. To get the most out of a spin class you have to go in there every time ready to kill yourself in that class. In a 75 minute class my HR will average 160-165 and usually peak 180-185.

Just had my 3rd duathlon up in Orillia yesterday.

2km run, 33km ride, 7km run.

I ended up 18th out of 86 participants with a time of 1h42m. I had my best ever average speed during the ride of 36.2kph (i saw 62kph during one down hill section!) and finally got under 5:00/km for the 2nd run section. I managed 4:48/km over the 7k.

Next up is the Lakeside du in September. They have both the sprint distance and Olympic, I'm thinking about doing Olympic. 5km run, 40km ride, 10km run.

Anyone else accomplish anything lately?

Just had my 3rd duathlon up in Orillia yesterday.

2km run, 33km ride, 7km run.

I ended up 18th out of 86 participants with a time of 1h42m. I had my best ever average speed during the ride of 36.2kph (i saw 62kph during one down hill section!) and finally got under 5:00/km for the 2nd run section. I managed 4:48/km over the 7k.

Next up is the Lakeside du in September. They have both the sprint distance and Olympic, I'm thinking about doing Olympic. 5km run, 40km ride, 10km run.

Anyone else accomplish anything lately?

Damn boy....You be killin' it...Good on ya...

I don't run...not unless there's a KK donut hanging on a string....

I may pose for great lengths to raise money for a good cause though =P

Several moons ago when I was in primary school, I placed first in the cross country road race! I don't think I could accomplish anything now tho.

I think weight training has upset my running pace. Weight has to do with explosive strength, while cross country has to do with rhythm and outlasting your opponents, two completely different strategy.

I'll like to combine the two

I don't know what you are on but i love running .....

my advice,

1. get runkeeper
2. energy bar or energy drink during your runs
3. protein shake after your runs

Why do i do it!? If it weren't for the results i would never do it.

When i got my new 1-piece suit in April i couldn't even zip it up let alone with the back protector in too. It took me 5 weeks to drop the weight to get it done up with the back protector, maybe 25lbs? Just running 5 times a week either 5 or 8km and saying goodbye to my good friend carbs. I managed to do my first ever 10km run in 59 minutes around the middle of June.

It was all going to plan until i broke my collar bone, i wasnt really able to do much physically for about a month and the leathers were pretty tight so i had to put my running shoes back on. I've been back at the running for a few weeks now and just did my 2nd 10km run today in 57 minutes. I don't think im getting off the couch for the rest of the night! Ugghh!!

One thing is for sure, if it wasnt for my mp3 player running would be impossible!

Anyone else run even though they hate it?? lol

yes there is, and it is not just simply increasing your distance, in fact that will do the least for you

you need to rotate your training

- distance runs
- sprinting on a track
- hills
- cross training
- weight training

I hate running too, but I had to do it to get in shape. Can't do 10k runs yet. I'm doing more like 2.5k runs. Long as I need to do though to meet my current goals.

Is there a technique to improving endurance, other than just keeping at it? I seemed to make some really good progress at first, then hit a wall. Unlike weight lifting, where as long as I've kept at it, I've steadily improved. The only thing holding back my weight lifting is my paycheck - I've increased my appetite to the point where I run out of money feeding myself. Damn small income.

Several moons ago when I was in primary school, I placed first in the cross country road race! I don't think I could accomplish anything now tho.

I think weight training has upset my running pace. Weight has to do with explosive strength, while cross country has to do with rhythm and outlasting your opponents, two completely different strategy.

I'll like to combine the two

Get on a bike. It combines the two. You can't do well on a bike without serious leg power and you can't sustain it for 20+km without decent muscular and cardio endurance.

My spin instructor is great, she's forgotten more about cycling and training for cycling than i'll ever know. I haven't been doing the road riding thing very long and even now i can recognize when other riders aren't doing what they should be doing. I am out of the saddle at nearly every opportunity. 90% of other riders seem to prefer staying in the saddle and just grinding it out on the climbs. I'll be out of the saddle, I much prefer the run-up approach for most hills. Changing your position on the bike like that permits some muscle recovery without slowing down or "changing the angle of attack" as it were. Letting the "seated" muscles rest while you work the "standing" muscles. I will get heart rate spikes on climbs like that but usually when i get to the top my "seated" musles have recovered enough that I can regain my breath without losing pace.

Get on a bike. It combines the two. You can't do well on a bike without serious leg power and you can't sustain it for 20+km without decent muscular and cardio endurance.

My spin instructor is great, she's forgotten more about cycling and training for cycling than i'll ever know. I haven't been doing the road riding thing very long and even now i can recognize when other riders aren't doing what they should be doing. I am out of the saddle at nearly every opportunity. 90% of other riders seem to prefer staying in the saddle and just grinding it out on the climbs. I'll be out of the saddle, I much prefer the run-up approach for most hills. Changing your position on the bike like that permits some muscle recovery without slowing down or "changing the angle of attack" as it were. Letting the "seated" muscles rest while you work the "standing" muscles. I will get heart rate spikes on climbs like that but usually when i get to the top my "seated" musles have recovered enough that I can regain my breath without losing pace.

Haha, I have no clue what u mean by letting your seated muscles recover, lol. I'm amateur, so that explains.

I try to cycle a bit, but haven't done anything in years, I should get back into it, but never seem to find the time. I am more into mountain biking tho. I need one with brake discs so I can stop at down hill runs.

As I get older, I am learning the importance of keeping fit, lol

Seated pedaling works the hamstrings more than the quads, standing pedaling works the quads more than the hamstrings. So when you're standing you can still push a lot of gear but you're letting your hamstrings recover a bit when you do. Staying in the saddle on the climbs keeps working the same muscle groups so you don't get the benefit of any recovery.

My flat ground cruising speed is in the mid/high 30kph range. If i get out of the saddle i can climb up most hills without dropping below 30kph, when i get to the top I'll be pretty breathless but with the muscle recovery i can drop back in the saddle and maintain 30+ kph and accelerate back to my normal cruising speed while my HR and breathing return to normal. Otherwise I'd really be pushing the same muscle group during the climb then when i got to the top i'd be both breathless and dead-leg.

Does that make sense?

First, congrats on your bike split.

Regarding the bold part, that's because for most people staying in the saddle while climbing is more efficient. They spend less energy climbing in the saddle. Climbing well is all about power to weight and proper gearing for the course. Many people under gear and they have no choice but grid up a hill or stand out of the saddle as that's usually easier to push a big gear. I ride 50/34 compact with a 12-27 cassette and I'm not shy about using the 34/27 when I need it. I climb seated and I like to spin. I try to cap my effort on the climbs, because I find the massive surges up hills take the sting out of my legs for the run.

Regarding your second run. Remember that tri/du are not about the best bike split. It's about biking as fast as you can and still allow yourself to run well off the bike. I encourage you to experiment with this in your training/racing. Bike all out then run, bike at 90% then run, etc. See how you react. Trust me, it's alot of fun to be passing all the people that over biked :). Good luck.

I can't stand running, drives me nuts, so I hit up the erg and row for at least 5km when I go. It's a pretty good work out and cardio, best of all, no running to nowhere and screwing my knees and hips up more :D

Congrats on getting your time down so much since you started this thread

Last edited:
I was out yesterday. Did a good distance, my obliques are hurting me. From all the breathing.

Question, is it better to open mouth to breathe or close mouth breathe thru nostrils?

Open mouth is more efficient for me, but dries my mouth. It dehydrates me quicker too, lol

Back
Top Bottom