Running.. ugghh | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Running.. ugghh

Diggin up an old thread.

Had my longest run today. Previous longest was 13km (don't know the time) and today i managed 16km in roughly 1h42m. The things i do just to fit into my leathers.. ugghhhhh....

Congrats on your long run. BTW how often / how much do you run weekly? Reason I ask, sometimes you can get more benefit from more shorter runs. In running, frequency imo is key.

I hate running alone.
But, I like running in the mornings with work as I'm competitive and like leaving people in my dust, especially since I don't look like a runner.
^ until those famous words, "Left wheel! Left Wheel!" :) Might as well be mid pack!

I hate running distance. Only times I did it was when on course that's it...thankfully I could usually stay in front of the pack....don't ask me how... Other than that, it takes me about 4 - 6 weeks in spring to get into rugby shape and that's fine, but I still despise running the 5 K around the park. yeagh!
Never do it during the year unless it's a mild 5 mins for the gym... :)

Congrats on your long run. BTW how often / how much do you run weekly? Reason I ask, sometimes you can get more benefit from more shorter runs. In running, frequency imo is key.

Usually 4 or 5 days a week, and the runs are usually 5 or 8km. I just felt like tryin to best myself today.

Go to Karate or Judo. Running warmup around the Dojo only. Jogging makes me feel like a hamster.

for those of you who run to lose weight, have you heard of high intensity interval training (HIIT)? It's a much more efficient way of burning fat and the key benefits are that you will save yourself loads of time and also save your knee's and back from running too much.

Someone posted earlier saying they hate jogging and they prefer to sprint then walk and sprint then walk which is essentially what you want to do. Your body adapts easily to jogging as you are consistently running at the same pace over 30mins - 60 mins and although the results may be good at the beginning, the more running you do the less effective it will become. This is why HIIT works well because you are "shocking" your body and not giving it a chance to adapt to one pace and it responds to that.

So what you want to do is do a bit of warm up jogging then you sprint as fast as you can for about 10-20 seconds and then you walk to do a slow jog for about 20-40 seconds and then you sprint again and repeat.. the time interval you choose will depend on your current fitness level but should be following the 1:2 ratio. Do this for 10-20 mins max and you should be wiped out for the day. If you can do this for more than 20 mins then you're not pushing yourself hard enough. Basically what this does is gets your heartrate going so basically you are burning fat during the process yes but more importantly it gets your metabolism going after your workout and the next day. So the next day when you are sitting down at work pushing papers, your metabolism is going high and you're burning fat just sitting there. When you jog at a constant pace, you'll still burn fat while doing so, but once you stop, you're not burning any fat after or the next day.. this is why you have to do it for longer periods and more often like 5-6 times a week to see better results. When doing HIIT doing it 3 days a week max is good enough because you want a resting day in between.

HIIT is becoming the new way to work out, the only time i would jog is if i'm trying to build my endurance for a race or marathon. Otherwise for fat burning, HIIT is the way to go.. I'm just saying. My 2 cents. ;)

I congratulate myself when I run a whole kilometer! I perfer to walk fast, I do work up a sweat! I have a nice long hill to walk up. But now I do a walk/run thing,whatever, I HATE running.

I know SO many people who are long time runners who are eventually felled by knee/hip/back problems.

I think knee/back problems can be almost as much hereditary as anything else.

I've played sports and been running since high school and despite everyone I know having a knee problem, I've never had an issue.

HIIT is becoming the new way to work out, the only time i would jog is if i'm trying to build my endurance for a race or marathon. Otherwise for fat burning, HIIT is the way to go.. I'm just saying. My 2 cents. ;)

There's alot of information out there on hiit that suggests that it works, I can't comment as I've not tried it for weight loss. IMO running is not ideal for building endurance, as it is high impact and increasing mileage too fast (a common occurrence) is a good way to get injured and throw away all the fitness gains. There are many other activities that are much easier on your body that will build endurance just as well (cycling, etc). Your cardiovascular system doesn't really care what you do.

BTW, I don't run for weight loss. I run to run faster, and the link I posted above is not geared for weight loss. Weight loss is just the side effect.

I know SO many people who are long time runners who are eventually felled by knee/hip/back problems.

I know long time runners who don't have knee/hip/back problems. Running is high impact, but it's not a fast track to hip replacement. There are things you can do to keep yourself injury free.

I would love to go running. I actually enjoy it, but I've got weak knees. My heels also hurt when I run for a long time. I was told that I have to strengthen my core first before I attempt to do any long scale running (4km+). Apparently if you have a strong core, all the muscles in your abdomen and back tend to compensate for the soreness in your knees and heels.

I run about 3 to 5 times a week. Treadmill usually or outdoors when the weather is nice. Anywhere between 4 to 8km each time but will do a longer run on weekends up to 16 km. I prefer it to elliptical machines or stationary bicycles. Results are very gradual though, I guess because I haven't really changed my diet that much. I started exercising regularly about a year ago when I was laid off and finally had some time to exercise regularly. It became habit.

I would love to go running. I actually enjoy it, but I've got weak knees. My heels also hurt when I run for a long time. I was told that I have to strengthen my core first before I attempt to do any long scale running (4km+). Apparently if you have a strong core, all the muscles in your abdomen and back tend to compensate for the soreness in your knees and heels.

A friend of mine had 'weak knees'. In her case custom orthotics made a huge difference. No more knee problems for her during walking/running.

Couple of things that stand out from your post are heel/knee pain. The basic idea of a 'proper' running form are that you are not slowing yourself down with each foot strike, this means that you don't fully load your foot until your body is on top of your foot. Some people over-stride and then end up driving their heals into the ground with each foot strike. This slows them down and places more stress on heels/knees/hips. A lot of modern running shoes have very high/bulky heels which can make this heel striking worse.

A good fitting running shoe can work wonders. Running stores such as runningroom usually offer pretty good service in that regard but it can be hit or miss. Once you find the shoes that work for you stick with similar shoe type/model. This is what has worked for me.

There's quite a bit of info about running form on the net, but remember that nothing is set in stone. Any changes you make to your form/stride, do them gradually so your body has time to adapt to the changes.

^^^ Believe the hype. a proper shoe and orthotic combo, even though it may cost $150+ for the shoe, some companies/schools will cover your ortho cost, is like running on a cloud. You can run longer, both distance and time wise, and when you're done, no knee pain.

win-win.

I run too - going right now actually! I used to hate it, but now I tolerate it. I feel the same about the MP3 player though! I can't go without it. I can't even run with a crappy set of headphones, the music has to sound good. I use iGRADO headphones - amazing sound for the money, but I had to solder them together recently because their build quality is crap.

I did a 16Km (10 miles) run last summer in 80 minutes, and I was pretty proud of that result. I ran in highschool, and HATED it, then in first year university I gained 15-20lbs and I looked terrible, so I ran the whole summer and nobody recognized me in second year. Then I did a bit of weightlifting, but running is just more interesting. I've been running on - and off for the last 7 years or so.

Anyway, gotta get out there while the sun is up.

Keep running!

Why do i do it!? If it weren't for the results i would never do it.

When i got my new 1-piece suit in April i couldn't even zip it up let alone with the back protector in too. It took me 5 weeks to drop the weight to get it done up with the back protector, maybe 25lbs? Just running 5 times a week either 5 or 8km and saying goodbye to my good friend carbs. I managed to do my first ever 10km run in 59 minutes around the middle of June.

It was all going to plan until i broke my collar bone, i wasnt really able to do much physically for about a month and the leathers were pretty tight so i had to put my running shoes back on. I've been back at the running for a few weeks now and just did my 2nd 10km run today in 57 minutes. I don't think im getting off the couch for the rest of the night! Ugghh!!

One thing is for sure, if it wasnt for my mp3 player running would be impossible!

Anyone else run even though they hate it?? lol

How about a GTAM 5km running/walking race?

Fast, slow, walking... it doesn't matter! Who's in???

or how about play some sports.
go to the Y and play some ball.

outdoor soccer.

there lots of sports that can get u fit without you noticing that its a dreaded workout/run.

swimming is also fun.

Theres an idea! Lets get together for some Ball hockey or soccer or something.

Just took the dog with me on my run in the thunderstorm. Now that I'm back the sun is shining lol.

How about a GTAM 5km running/walking race?

Fast, slow, walking... it doesn't matter! Who's in???

That's a good idea. Set it up as a Ride for Sight Charity or something... $10 to enter.

My girlfriend is a marathon runner/triathlete and she set me up with a simple program to increase both speed and endurance. Within 2 months I went from running 5k to 21k. In November, I had trouble running more than 5k. By January, I ran my 1st half marathon in Arizona, but it was $110US to sign up:(. 10k used to be impossible and now I can run it in 50min comfortably.

I would do 3 runs per week. Usually two 45-60 minute runs every spaced by a day and then a long run two days afterward. Weights and stretching every day not running. And it also helped that I stopped eating meat and quit smoking.

To increase endurance and distance - Two short runs per week of 50-75% of my max distance and every Sunday I would increase my max distance by 15 minutes. Short stretch before each run and a better stretch after each run.

To increase speed - HIIT - but we would run full out for 2-4 minutes and then walk for about the same and then repeat 5-6 times.

I prefer to listen to music - Jungle/Drum&Bass is awesome for running because the tempo matches the feet pounding the ground.

Congrats Caboose on the 16k. That's a big difference from what you were running before.

Back
Top Bottom