Riding an e-scooter in Toronto? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding an e-scooter in Toronto?

So I have started to see e-bike riders with bikes that look like real gasoline-powered sports bikes riding right in the middle of traffic lanes, like a legal motorcycle. They are not using the shoulder or the bicycle lane anymore. How in hell do they get away doing this with NO helmet, no insurance, and no licence? Are cops no longer anal about this like in years past?

So I have started to see e-bike riders with bikes that look like real gasoline-powered sports bikes riding right in the middle of traffic lanes, like a legal motorcycle. They are not using the shoulder or the bicycle lane anymore. How in hell do they get away doing this with NO helmet, no insurance, and no licence? Are cops no longer anal about this like in years past?
They are more legal in the road than they are in the bike lanes. If under power, they are roughly considered a vehicle but one where you don't need a helmet, license or insurance. Hug your favorite liberal and thank them for saving the planet. Anybody with half a brain would have set max weight well below the level wynnebag went with (120 kg).

For those who are interested in what Ontario rules are...

So you MUST be 16, motor under 500W.. and max speed of 32kph.. and must wear helmet... insurance is not needed nor a drivers license.

For those who are interested in what Ontario rules are...

So you MUST be 16, motor under 500W.. and max speed of 32kph.. and must wear helmet... insurance is not needed nor a drivers license.
Helmet was my bad. Escooters in Ontario don't require a helmet unless you are a kid. Not sure why government requires helmet for one and not the other.

Helmet was my bad. Escooters in Ontario don't require a helmet unless you are a kid. Not sure why government requires helmet for one and not the other.
hehe.. not trying to correct you dude.. was posting it in case people want to know about the rules around ebikes... I am actually more worried about the one-wheelers nowadays... those things are not only fast.. but they look hella dangerous...

A few years ago i saw a little "superpowered" pocket bike gang going around my area on lakeshore, theyd hop in and out of the bike lane. After my errand i was coming back and they were going in the same direction as me. Cue the police comes in, 1 or 2 cruisers, trying to stop them.

I saw from afar that it became a circus as they'd split and do manoeuvres on and off the side walks and in the sidestreets that the cops couldn't keep up with while in the cars, it was a bit entertaining. I honestly don't know what happened after but i was tempted to get my popcorn out.

Back to the subject at hand, there needs to be some legislation. Just banning escooters won't get you anywhere, people will still use them.

Driving home yesterday along HWY 7 East was stopped at a light and watched what I thought was a full sized motorcycle cross using the crosswalk, then I saw the little kid following on small electric scooter. Just like the image we saw earlier, full sized electric scooter with pedals removed.
My wife freaked out thinking it was an actual motorcycle riding down the sidewalk with a little kid closely following. They we both wearing helmets his was the "German" style with the required stained wife beater shirt and the kids was a whatever with a rubber mohawk, neither were fastened.

Got me thinking this DUI Daddy is not embarrassed to ride a full sized electric scooter in the form of a motorcycle (looking like a complete moron) down a busy sidewalk, but he's too cool for pedals?

Driving home yesterday along HWY 7 East was stopped at a light and watched what I thought was a full sized motorcycle cross using the crosswalk, then I saw the little kid following on small electric scooter. Just like the image we saw earlier, full sized electric scooter with pedals removed.
My wife freaked out thinking it was an actual motorcycle riding down the sidewalk with a little kid closely following. They we both wearing helmets his was the "German" style with the required stained wife beater shirt and the kids was a whatever with a rubber mohawk, neither were fastened.

Got me thinking this DUI Daddy is not embarrassed to ride a full sized electric scooter in the form of a motorcycle (looking like a complete moron) down a busy sidewalk, but he's too cool for pedals?
Since the rider doesn't need a license, registration or insurance can the police pull him over and ask for any ID or does there need to be probable cause? If the stop or request for ID etc is unenforceable what can the police do?

If a 15 YO does major damage who pays? Is dad responsible?

I know a lady that was roller skating and deliberately tripped by a 10 year old. She broke her wrist and it never healed properly. What if she was a professional musician, surgeon, artist, data entry etc? Who pays?

Yeah, yeah everyone should have private disability insurance. More for the insurers. I'm sure they will be fair.

Since the rider doesn't need a license, registration or insurance can the police pull him over and ask for any ID or does there need to be probable cause? If the stop or request for ID etc is unenforceable what can the police do?

If a 15 YO does major damage who pays? Is dad responsible?

I know a lady that was roller skating and deliberately tripped by a 10 year old. She broke her wrist and it never healed properly. What if she was a professional musician, surgeon, artist, data entry etc? Who pays?

Yeah, yeah everyone should have private disability insurance. More for the insurers. I'm sure they will be fair.
If you're a surgeon and you are scared to lose your job because you might break your wrist, here's a hint; don't roller skate. I'm tired of having to walk on eggshells because some metro-wimp is petrified of the real world.

Does it cross over to licenced vehicles where there is no contact?

It sounds like the driver spooked her and she over reacted.

As far as the lady is concerned she should get no special consideration. If you don't have coverage through vehicle insurance or employer insurance you can buy your own insurance.

She assumed nothing could ever happen to her. Didn't they teacher her anything in her motorcycle safety course? Oh wait.....

Dunning Kruger charter member

She just finished her shift at Uber. Would WSIB cover vehicle crashes at work?

Thin edge of the wedge? Definitely. What's the difference between her crash and someone falling off a bicycle?

Does it cross over to licenced vehicles where there is no contact?

It sounds like the driver spooked her and she over reacted.

As far as the lady is concerned she should get no special consideration. If you don't have coverage through vehicle insurance or employer insurance you can buy your own insurance.

She assumed nothing could ever happen to her. Didn't they teacher her anything in her motorcycle safety course? Oh wait.....

Dunning Kruger charter member

She just finished her shift at Uber. Would WSIB cover vehicle crashes at work?

Thin edge of the wedge? Definitely. What's the difference between her crash and someone falling off a bicycle?
Sorry she fell and hurt herself.

Glad the police didn't play along with the ambulance chasing lawyer.

While I do not know the exact details....

E-Bike speeds may well have played a factor. If she was going 35 kph that is already too fast for the typical brakes etc. on these things, if it was unrestricted she may have been going much faster yet....

Tesla may have auto braked....

While I do not know the exact details....

E-Bike speeds may well have played a factor. If she was going 35 kph that is already too fast for the typical brakes etc. on these things, if it was unrestricted she may have been going much faster yet....

Tesla may have auto braked..
Lol on the brakes. I bought my kids one of those Emo bikes when they were in high school. It served the well, but the brakes were scary.

Worked worse than the pedals.

42 year old female killed riding an e bike on the 407 ramp in Markham.

No we don’t need licenses or training.

42 year old female killed riding an e bike on the 407 ramp in Markham.

No we don’t need licenses or training.
Saw that. Article light on details. Did she have the ebile on the 407 or was she just crossing the ramp on the surface street when the collision happened? Ramp crossings on bicycles are a very dangerous situation with high closing speeds and awkward sight lines.

Edit:
Crash was at beginning of Mccowan rd on ramp. Very high chance ebike was crossing ramp when it got hit. No idea who screwed up on decision making but rider paid the price.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom