Riding an e-scooter in Toronto? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding an e-scooter in Toronto?

Who knows if these will every actually exist but they could conceivably fit under escooter laws. Nothing in the laws says you can only ride one e-scooter at a time.

E-scooters allowed under the pilot must have:

• a maximum speed of 24 km/h on a level surface - software update could fix this
  • a maximum weight of 45 kg - pass
  • a maximum power output of 500 watts - software update could fix this as it is written as power output not motor size
  • two wheels and brakes - pass
  • a horn or bell - no idea but easy to do
  • at least one white light on front, one red light on rear and reflective material on sides - no idea but easy to fix
  • a maximum wheel diameter of 17 inches - pass
E-scooters must not have:

• pedals - pass
  • a seat - pass
  • a basket - pass

414331525_120204697447450306_5019942074589139676_n.jpg

Who knows if these will every actually exist but they could conceivably fit under escooter laws. Nothing in the laws says you can only ride one e-scooter at a time.

E-scooters allowed under the pilot must have:

• a maximum speed of 24 km/h on a level surface - software update could fix this
  • a maximum weight of 45 kg - pass
  • a maximum power output of 500 watts - software update could fix this as it is written as power output not motor size
  • two wheels and brakes - pass
  • a horn or bell - no idea but easy to do
  • at least one white light on front, one red light on rear and reflective material on sides - no idea but easy to fix
  • a maximum wheel diameter of 17 inches - pass
E-scooters must not have:

• pedals - pass
  • a seat - pass
  • a basket - pass

414331525_120204697447450306_5019942074589139676_n.jpg

An interesting thing about the proliferation of devices is a comparison to the medical industry.

Generally speaking, in medicine you can't do anything unless it is formally approved.

With life in general, most things can be put into use unless specifically banned.

This always leaves the government lagging the market, often until to late to change it.

I almost killed one of these idiots today.

Driving north on Tomken in the left lane just north of Britannia.

E-bike in the right lane, no lights, no signal, decides they want to turn left. They dive strait across me.
Hard brake and evade on my part is the only reason this muppet is still alive.

GO Transit is banning ebikes with "non-certified" batteries. Spot checks now. Full program by April 9. Wtf. I understand the concept and the risk but 99% chance the ebike stores will provide CSA stickers with every purchase just like the DOT stickers being given away with beanies. GO staff will in no way be competent in assessing the safety of a battery beyond looking for a sticker.

Is GO willing to sacrifice an immigrant to the cause? After the next fire, pass the bill for repair to the Uber/doordash rider that brought the POS bike on the train. They won't have insurance so they will need to declare bankruptcy. Media would be all over it. It may make the rest of the people in a similar situation re-evaluate bringing POS ebikes on the train.

So laptop inspection? Throw that cell phone out the window , trade guys need to leave all the cordless tools at home ? Oy vey

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

GO Transit is banning ebikes with "non-certified" batteries. Spot checks now. Full program by April 9. Wtf. I understand the concept and the risk but 99% chance the ebike stores will provide CSA stickers with every purchase just like the DOT stickers being given away with beanies. GO staff will in no way be competent in assessing the safety of a battery beyond looking for a sticker.

Is GO willing to sacrifice an immigrant to the cause? After the next fire, pass the bill for repair to the Uber/doordash rider that brought the POS bike on the train. They won't have insurance so they will need to declare bankruptcy. Media would be all over it. It may make the rest of the people in a similar situation re-evaluate bringing POS ebikes on the train.
A person could walk into a scooter shop, pay for a scoot cash and roll out onto the sidewalk without reading a single thing about legalities.

They assume it's OK. There is no obligation for the seller or anyone else to tell them otherwise. They vagueness of the laws plus police indifference means next to no enforcement. DUI mobiles, sidewalk hogs and modified to the hilt performance versions are the new wild west.

You can get small electric cars as well. No license, no insurance, no training. Politicians: No guts

Back
Top Bottom