Recent movies you saw - recommend or no | Page 232 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recent movies you saw - recommend or no

it is wonderful on so many levels
I had no idea it was based on true events :eek: .....a wonderful send up with a sting(y)

The true story

Last edited:
Quite the visceral shift
Have not made up my mind on it. :unsure:
Ebert likes it
others not so much.

Went back to re-watch the first 2 Mission Impossible movies. Yikkies they are so rough to see in many ways. I remember them being a bit better, at least the first one. The 2nd one is junk, John Woo, terrible director. I think the series picks up after these 2.

Quite the visceral shift
Ebert likes it
others not so much.

I really want to see this.
I’ll wait until it’s available via (legal) streams.
It’s only in theatres currently.

Went back to re-watch the first 2 Mission Impossible movies. Yikkies they are so rough to see in many ways. I remember them being a bit better, at least the first one. The 2nd one is junk, John Woo, terrible director. I think the series picks up after these 2.
A lot of John Woo's stuff is really good. Especially the early stuff. Just don't look for any deep meanings ;)

"Mission Impossible: 2" is, however, absolute junk. Well, I'd say that about pretty much all of them anyway, since I watched the original TV show when it was first released. To me it's supposed to be a psycho-thriller, not action-adventure.

A lot of John Woo's stuff is really good. Especially the early stuff. Just don't look for any deep meanings ;)

"Mission Impossible: 2" is, however, absolute junk. Well, I'd say that about pretty much all of them anyway, since I watched the original TV show when it was first released. To me it's supposed to be a psycho-thriller, not action-adventure.

Broken Arrow was a decent romp.

The Zone of Interest on Prime. Pretty intense and it continues to haunt me after two days.

Its sub-titled but there is very little dialogue. Its the back ground "noise" from the camp that's important. There's a reason it won Best Sound at this year's Academy Awards.

The Zone of Interest (2023) ⭐ 7.5 | Drama, History, War

The background sounds and the river incident indeed were haunting. Have you seen The Boy in the Striped Pajamas? Another disturbing one.

Sadly I forgot I had class on Tuesday this week, not Wednesday so my wife went by herself. She said it was 'meh' overall, and felt the reviews were over rated.

"Wonka" - I thought that I'd give it a go, on the basis of people whose opinions I respect giving it a thumbs-up, but it's really not my thing. The Gene Wilder movie used incidental music as a form of punctuation. This one is just a classic musical in which people break into song, for absolutely no reason. Movies of that sort that I have actually liked are virtually non existent.

Watching Oppenheimer fo the first time since watching it in iMax and trying out the new hearing aids.
Forgotten the opening a bit.
Hearing aids first impression very good tho fiddly.
Oppy on Netflix the 4k HDR is very nice.

Stumbled on Moby Dick on Prime and quite taken with the visual quality.
Falling asleep and the sun is wrecking the TV image ....will resume later but remarkable visuals for a 50s movie. The TV might be upscaling nicely. 🍿
The special effects were certainly good for the time and the cast excellent.

In the Heart of the Sea is the true story of a sperm whale that sank a whaling ship
and the crew set off on epic small boat voyages of thousands of miles. Only two survived and were not believed until a journal of the ships boy was discovered a few years ago that verified the original account.
Chris Hemsworth does an admirable job in the movie and the special effects of course much improved over the Moby Dick effort.

The book of the same name is very engaging....on a par with Blighs open boat voyage but all his men survived....only two in this case and the tale is incredible.
1714451389970.png
Both worth your time IMNSHO :D

Last edited:
Quite the visceral shift
Ebert likes it
others not so much.

Saw it last week, it's not good. Reviewers were all trying to make political points I think. It feels absurd the way the movie fetishize war photography and try to put them on a pedestal to be worshipped or something. At times I thought I was watching some kind of mockumentary like Spinal Tap.

Back
Top Bottom