Reasonable budget for racing costs | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reasonable budget for racing costs

The SOAR racers on this forum are only a small fraction of the racers who come out every weekend. Sarcasm doesn't come across well on this forum, but they are joking around with each other. Don't let it stop you from coming out. Once you come out to a round, you'll see that the "elitist racer vibe" is not the norm.

Also, since you've never been to a SOAR round, who is there to say you're a "track day hero"? ;)

Next season, stop by our pits and say hi. We're team "Slightly Stoopid Racing" :)

Sunny & Drew

That is what I was figured, I was just seeing more and more of the 'if you dont race SOAR you're a nobody' kind of messages. But you are correct, forums usually only make up a small percentage of the overall when it comes to any subject really. Your welcoming is what I have experienced when I have spoke to SOAR racers in person. As caboose mentioned, everybody can be a bit of a 'keyboard cowboy' every now and then.... some more than others I suppose. And I apologize now caboose for the contribution of the 'chicks be crazy' as my gf will be racing as well next year. She is as crazy as they come! (and by the looks of it, one of your sponsors, lol)

Last edited:
So this thread has me scratching my head a bit. I am planning on racing in SOAR next season, I had my license 2 years ago but due to circumstances and distance (was living in Ottawa at the time) never got to make use of it. I did do a couple races at bogie last season in novice open and the 3hr enduro when RACE/TF had a race weekend there. I had a blast, loved the races and did pretty well all considering.

Now I have met a few people that race in SOAR and all have said 'you should come out, you will love it' and they seem like good people who are good/great riders. But why is it the more I am reading some of these threads I am getting this 'elitist racer vibe' from those who are in the series? I want to race to a: have fun and b: improve my riding. I still will want to do track days as the idea of riding the same track (you can slice it and dice it and run it in reverse, but it is the same track) is not all I want to do. I am really hoping that I am totally getting the vibe wrong here, but I really wouldn't be interested in being seen as a 'track day hero' on the grid because I only do say 50%-75% of the race weekends and the rest track days.
Most racers also do track days because we like to experiment other tracks, so there is no problem with people that do track, I think the problem is about the "track Hero" attitude and not where you decide to spend your time (track or race)

During a race weekend, if someone crashes and is in need of parts, most people will go out of their way to lend a hand. You will also find that most of the really fast guys are probably the nicest guys so no issues with elitism in there (except for Caboose, he has people walking in front of him trowing cookies on his path) ;)

Don't worry about what we write in here, most of it is joking and jabs among people that know each other

Most racers also do track days because we like to experiment other tracks, so there is no problem with people that do track, I think the problem is about the "track Hero" attitude and not where you decide to spend your time (track or race)

What qualities constitute a track day hero? I'm starting to get worried. lol

During a race weekend, if someone crashes and is in need of parts, most people will go out of their way to lend a hand. You will also find that most of the really fast guys are probably the nicest guys so no issues with elitism in there (except for Caboose, he has people walking in front of him trowing cookies on his path) ;)

Don't worry about what we write in here, most of it is joking and jabs among people that know each other

I wouldnt even let you throw cookies in front of the people who throw my cookies!

Have you ever won a trackday?

Haven't we all? LOL...

I count a trackday win as finishing the day without needing to buy new parts or heal some bones. I've never pulled out my own checkered flag, wheelied down the back straight and done a burnout in front of the head marshal. Hmm... that sounds like fun. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. :)

That is what I was figured, I was just seeing more and more of the 'if you dont race SOAR you're a nobody' kind of messages. But you are correct, forums usually only make up a small percentage of the overall when it comes to any subject really. Your welcoming is what I have experienced when I have spoke to SOAR racers in person. As caboose mentioned, everybody can be a bit of a 'keyboard cowboy' every now and then.... some more than others I suppose. And I apologize now caboose for the contribution of the 'chicks be crazy' as my gf will be racing as well next year. She is as crazy as they come! (and by the looks of it, one of your sponsors, lol)
When you do ONE soar round, your hooked. the people there are all one big family. without the fighting.
were all just joking around with everyone on here passing the time at work.

My 3rd weekend racing, I barely knew anyone at SOAR......In my Lost Era light race, last lap pass for the win I got greedy and I crashed my bike...and the gascap leaked fuel and bike caught fire. Racers I did and didn't know hopped over the wall and put the fire out, while they were in their full leathers getting ready to go out on the very next race.....Caboose was one of them. The bike was unreideable but I still had 2 more races that afternoon. The guy I was passing (Dan Dubeau on this msg board) offered me his bike for the afternoon so I could wrap up 3rd in the Lost Era Heavy championship, and he was signed up to race against me!! I only knew him enough to nod at him on the grid back then. We had never even spoken.

I have had racers loan me gear or parts, change the oil in my bike, pick up things I had forgotten at home. Offer me use of their bikes on numerous occasions.....One time when I crashed my R6, I parked it, leaking oil out of the right engine cover, and hopped on the Fireblade for the next race. By the time I came off the track 20 mins later, my bike was repaired with one racers parts (Outtacontrol's), and a different racer's labour (RRGUY) . I never asked, it just got done.

Casacrow had a wreck during qualifying and busted his bike up enough he wouldn't make Sunday's final....you have guys like HorizonXP, who didn't even know Casacrow, but offered to stop at Casacrow's place and bring the parts needed to the track 3 hrs away, cuz he was coming to race himself and wanted to help Casacrow make the grid.

The most dominant rider in our class wadded his bike up good......Outtacontrol offered him full use of his backup bike for the whole weekend, and then gave the guy his housekeys so he could drive to his house and get spare parts to bring back to the track....which he then installed and proceeded to kick our butts with. That's the type of racers you find here- guys who wanna beat you, but on the track, not in the pits or cuz you couldn't make the grid. You get off the track,and the guys you were just battling with are your best friends....you take off your helmet, talk about the day's racing and they slap a beer into your hand. You will never see stuff like this in another series. When people call us the SOAR family, they aren't joking.

Last edited:
My 3rd weekend racing, I barely knew anyone at SOAR......In my Lost Era light race, last lap pass for the win I got greedy and I crashed my bike...and the gascap leaked fuel and bike caught fire. Racers I did and didn't know hopped over the wall and put the fire out, while they were in their full leathers getting ready to go out on the very next race.....Caboose was one of them. The bike was unreideable but I still had 2 more races that afternoon. The guy I was passing (Dan Dubeau on this msg board) offered me his bike for the afternoon so I could wrap up 3rd in the Lost Era Heavy championship, and he was signed up to race against me!! I only knew him enough to nod at him on the grid back then. We had never even spoken.

I have had racers loan me gear or parts, change the oil in my bike, pick up things I had forgotten at home. Offer me use of their bikes on numerous occasions.....One time when I crashed my R6, I parked it, leaking oil out of the right engine cover, and hopped on the Fireblade for the next race. By the time I came off the track 20 mins later, my bike was repaired with one racers parts (Outtacontrol's), and a different racer's labour (RRGUY) . I never asked, it just got done.

Casacrow had a wreck during qualifying and busted his bike up enough he wouldn't make Sunday's final....you have guys like HorizonXP, who didn't even know Casacrow, but offered to stop at Casacrow's place and bring the parts needed to the track 3 hrs away, cuz he was coming to race himself and wanted to help Casacrow make the grid.

The most dominant rider in our class wadded his bike up good......Outtacontrol offered him full use of his backup bike for the whole weekend, and then gave the guy his housekeys so he could drive to his house and get spare parts to bring back to the track....which he then installed and proceeded to kick our butts with. That's the type of racers you find here- guys who wanna beat you, but on the track, not in the pits or cuz you couldn't make the grid. You get off the track,and the guys you were just battling with are your best friends....you take off your helmet, talk about the day's racing and they slap a beer into your hand. You will never see stuff like this in another series. When people call us the SOAR family, they aren't joking.

you forgot about you and tyler helping me get the oil out of my top end of my engine :lmao:

you forgot about you and tyler helping me get the oil out of my top end of my engine :lmao:

We figured out your 007 smokescreen before you got a chance to eliminate your competition with it,LMAO

That's the first time I have ever seen a motor hydrolocked with oil mist pumped into the airbox thru the crankcase breather.

Just wanted to say thanks for the information in this thread. Looks like I'll be doing very casual track days for 2 years before I can actually start racing due to budget costs =(

Back
Top Bottom