Reasonable budget for racing costs | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reasonable budget for racing costs

I think on a SOAR weekend I get about 30-60 mins of track time per day (running two classes).

Something a couple people have touched on, and seems true in most cases, is that once you try roadracing, you will not want to do track days any more. If you do a lot of track days now, not doing them any more offsets the cost.

In roadracing, the quality of riding is generally better, and the fast-bike/slow-rider issues are less prevalent. The process of training for and getting a roadracing license filters out the worst idiots. Those who do get through licensing, will either learn fast (and cease to be an idiot any more - a good outcome!), or get out of it (happens a lot), or will be back of the grid where the faster riders will only see them when lapping them.

I only do track days if it is at a track that I want to ride but seldom get a chance to, or because a bunch of street riding buddies want to do it.

If vintage racing catches your interest, try www.vrra.ca - good group of people, and lately, vintage racing has had the biggest grids and the most entries of any roadracing series in Canada.

Is it really that hard to get your race Licence?

ZX600 passed, didn't he???

Something a couple people have touched on, and seems true in most cases, is that once you try roadracing, you will not want to do track days any more. If you do a lot of track days now, not doing them any more offsets the cost.

In roadracing, the quality of riding is generally better, and the fast-bike/slow-rider issues are less prevalent. The process of training for and getting a roadracing license filters out the worst idiots. Those who do get through licensing, will either learn fast (and cease to be an idiot any more - a good outcome!), or get out of it (happens a lot), or will be back of the grid where the faster riders will only see them when lapping them.

I only do track days if it is at a track that I want to ride but seldom get a chance to, or because a bunch of street riding buddies want to do it.

If vintage racing catches your interest, try www.vrra.ca - good group of people, and lately, vintage racing has had the biggest grids and the most entries of any roadracing series in Canada.

Like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY24KfPdU0g

Haven't seen him on a track since.

dean_flirt.gif

Don't be afraid, we don't bite, come and play ;)

Last edited:

It isn't that it's a difficult process.

But the track-day idiots either (A) won't even try, because they want to be track-day hero, or (B) don't want to make the commitment to fit in with roadracing's rule book and calendar of events, or (C) if they do the course, they get a stern talking-to about wheelies and other stunts, or (D) get their butts kicked when they don't listen to what others tell them about how to improve their riding.

It isn't that it's a difficult process.

But the track-day idiots either (A) won't even try, because they want to be track-day hero, or (B) don't want to make the commitment to fit in with roadracing's rule book and calendar of events, or (C) if they do the course, they get a stern talking-to about wheelies and other stunts, or (D) get their butts kicked when they don't listen to what others tell them about how to improve their riding.
I believe Adam was just joking! He is strange like that

Jayv and I will get his *** racing at SOAR next season

.. not me. I came out a few times. The rounds fell on every weekend i worked.

But if im your "trackday hero" Ken, feel free to tell me.

I remember one race. was interesting...

I believe Adam was just joking! He is strange like that

Jayv and I will get his *** racing at SOAR next season

Just joking about you..lol If they left SOAR at TMP I would have tried it out last season. Why does Grand Bend have to be so far away?? My biggest problem is work. Never really know when I'm going to have to work a weekend.

We'll have to see about next year. Was really hoping for a round or two at the new mosport track but after reading that other thread it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

So this thread has me scratching my head a bit. I am planning on racing in SOAR next season, I had my license 2 years ago but due to circumstances and distance (was living in Ottawa at the time) never got to make use of it. I did do a couple races at bogie last season in novice open and the 3hr enduro when RACE/TF had a race weekend there. I had a blast, loved the races and did pretty well all considering.

Now I have met a few people that race in SOAR and all have said 'you should come out, you will love it' and they seem like good people who are good/great riders. But why is it the more I am reading some of these threads I am getting this 'elitist racer vibe' from those who are in the series? I want to race to a: have fun and b: improve my riding. I still will want to do track days as the idea of riding the same track (you can slice it and dice it and run it in reverse, but it is the same track) is not all I want to do. I am really hoping that I am totally getting the vibe wrong here, but I really wouldn't be interested in being seen as a 'track day hero' on the grid because I only do say 50%-75% of the race weekends and the rest track days.

So this thread has me scratching my head a bit. I am planning on racing in SOAR next season, I had my license 2 years ago but due to circumstances and distance (was living in Ottawa at the time) never got to make use of it. I did do a couple races at bogie last season in novice open and the 3hr enduro when RACE/TF had a race weekend there. I had a blast, loved the races and did pretty well all considering.

Now I have met a few people that race in SOAR and all have said 'you should come out, you will love it' and they seem like good people who are good/great riders. But why is it the more I am reading some of these threads I am getting this 'elitist racer vibe' from those who are in the series? I want to race to a: have fun and b: improve my riding. I still will want to do track days as the idea of riding the same track (you can slice it and dice it and run it in reverse, but it is the same track) is not all I want to do. I am really hoping that I am totally getting the vibe wrong here, but I really wouldn't be interested in being seen as a 'track day hero' on the grid because I only do say 50%-75% of the race weekends and the rest track days.

Cuz we're all keyboard cowboys. I can be an ******* on the internet but at the track the SOAR family is very friendly.

Except the chicks.... they crazy.

The SOAR racers on this forum are only a small fraction of the racers who come out every weekend. Sarcasm doesn't come across well on this forum, but they are joking around with each other. Don't let it stop you from coming out. Once you come out to a round, you'll see that the "elitist racer vibe" is not the norm.

Also, since you've never been to a SOAR round, who is there to say you're a "track day hero"? ;)

Next season, stop by our pits and say hi. We're team "Slightly Stoopid Racing" :)

Sunny & Drew

:eek:

I'll make my own cookies..... with hookers and blackjack!

Hookers and blackjack will make you slow. Just ask...... never mind. I don't want to come across as being a dick ;)

Ok, you can have a cookie.

Back
Top Bottom