Rear end slides (sideways) under hard breaking | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rear end slides (sideways) under hard breaking

Pretty surprised to see how many people can't/don't use the rear brake. I had to replace the rotor/pads after 30,000km.

I typically use it in emergency braking, after applying the front. Seems to multiply total braking power.

Oh and on my recent test ride on a non-ABS Harley, not using the rear wasn't an option. Both all the time.

Re: Rear end slides (sideways) under hard braking

I think I overuse my rear brake. My right boot has literally worn away where my foot presses the rear brake and my boots are the Daytona Evo Sports GTX, so now I need a new outer boot. My rear brake is metal and spiked, so this may also have something to do with it, but this is also from everyday commuting in traffic though with lots of slow speed stuff. I go through rear brake pads about as often as front pads.

During normal everyday riding, I think I engage in 'hard braking' about once every few years. If I'm doing it more frequently than that, I'm following too closely or not paying attention to my surroundings.

As for what you can do to improve your braking skills besides what Brian and others already said, you could also ensure that you are always keeping your eyes up. Often a rear tire sliding sideways may be partially caused by looking down, or slightly to one side, which in turn draws the bike off centre. Make sure you are sitting totally centre on the bike, knees tight to the tank, keeping your eyes up, arms relaxed but engaged so as to brace your body from moving forward, while following the other advice given about progressively applying the brakes. Go and practice in a parking lot and stop following to close.

I typically use it in emergency braking, after applying the front. Seems to multiply total braking power.

Oh and on my recent test ride on a non-ABS Harley, not using the rear wasn't an option. Both all the time.

I probably know what you mean.

After riding off-road for so many years I can't give up the rear brake if I tried. I use it for stability during low speed manoeuvres, gravel runs and just general braking. Usually only lock the rear if I mean to.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

My pads are so contaminated from hap hazardly applied cleaning and lubricating agents aft of centre that my break is just about perfect.

I'm surprised by how many of you almost never use the rear brake. 90% of my braking is done with the rear, as I usually just drag the brake while downshifting. Under quick stopping or faster paced riding I'll use the front, but I find using the rear only gives a smoother ride.

Yall know there's cruiser riders on this forum, right?

I'm surprised at how many 'veteran' sport bike riders will advise not using the rear brakes, and then preach about learning how to properly use the fronts. Gentlemen, if you put the same amount of time and effort into also learning to use the rear brakes you'll be a more complete rider. There are a ton of scenarios (including just regular ol' braking) where you can benefit from the additional stopping power and finer control of the rear wheel. If you don't know how to use it, you've still got learnins to do.

As for OP... you just need to learn to ride better. Your bike and its tire are fine.

I'm surprised at how many 'veteran' sport bike riders will advise not using the rear brakes, and then preach about learning how to properly use the fronts. Gentlemen, if you put the same amount of time and effort into also learning to use the rear brakes you'll be a more complete rider. There are a ton of scenarios (including just regular ol' braking) where you can benefit from the additional stopping power and finer control of the rear wheel. If you don't know how to use it, you've still got learnins to do.
All the track hos use front only. They know it all

Pretty surprised to see how many people can't/don't use the rear brake. I had to replace the rotor/pads after 30,000km.
You really are ready for a Harley, aren't you? ?
*when you're back at it*

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

The problem is, the front tire is real skinny and i don't have ABS...very easy to lock it...and keep on sliding!

I call bs. Or you have a perception problem and your name is George Costanza.

Back
Top Bottom