Rear end slides (sideways) under hard breaking | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rear end slides (sideways) under hard breaking

Short on front tire traction, huh?

x_2e9bf833.jpg

Is that a left foot BREAK I see?

I can brake hard enough to bring the rear up on the R3...same size tire as the Ninjette.

Stop mashing the brakes.

Christ all mighty the front tire on my RD400F was like a damn bicycle tires and I had that hopping around coming into Allens at Shannonville.

ABS is a nice thing to have, but its not a do all. Remember that

just regular riding, cager ahead slams the breaks for whatever reason...

If this is happening on a regular basis, as others have suggested you may wish to adjust your riding style. That's ultimately your primary issue here.

OP I can lift the FJ's rear wheel on a 90 front tire, thanks to HH pads.

So respectfully shut up.

And I started to think something is wrong with the universe, since it has been a while we had "front/rear braking" during a street riding ... the mandatory rider training for newbs cannot come fast enough.

And I started to think something is wrong with the universe, since it has been a while we had "front/rear braking" during a street riding ... the mandatory rider training for newbs cannot come fast enough.

Is there new requirements coming? I still look forward to graduated licensing with restrictions on power for new riders.

Anyway OP...practice practice practice. I typically jam the front brakes for simulated e-stop on an empty road (like zero traffic front and back) to see what the threshold is before ABS/skid to see actual level of grips and how the bike handles emergency stop. The more used you are to the bike's reaction the better your reactions will be.

i am about 64kg (not sure lb) on a 250 ninja (wider tire on the back) - don't have that problem.

what i do is put the knees in the tank with the a*s as far back as possible (sitting upright or slightly leaned over). The pads i used are serrated front and some mushy stuff on the back as i don't want to lock the wheel although i could if need be.

I use the back more for stability and shave off speed (and slow stopping like stops signs, lights). For hard braking i start with the back then a split second later with the front.

suffice to say, the shocks are abysmal on the 250 - at times close to bottoming out but maybe a different fork oil would solve that issue.

I don't remember the last time I applied the rear brake...

ohhh yes I do, when I am at a long red stop light, once fully stopped I tend to sit upright hands off the bars and on my gas tank ( and only once the car behind me has come to a full stop), and right foot on the rear brake applying pressure to have my rear brake light on....

otherwise I don't think I ever touch the rear brake, and I don't even remember the last time I changed rear pads due to wear

I don't remember the last time I applied the rear brake...

ohhh yes I do, when I am at a long red stop light, once fully stopped I tend to sit upright hands off the bars and on my gas tank ( and only once the car behind me has come to a full stop), and right foot on the rear brake applying pressure to have my rear brake light on....

otherwise I don't think I ever touch the rear brake, and I don't even remember the last time I changed rear pads due to wear

This.
Plus use with a passenger, on gravel area, wet/rain...just use the rear brake to slow down.

After reading some of the responses, some of you should try to stop using the rear brake for a month.
Forget about the 70/30 idea because in an emergency situation your reflex will kick in and you might just lock up the rear brake.
Replace using your brain for rear braking actions with using your eyes for escape routes. As well, it goes without saying to work on using the front brake properly.

Agreed. under normal braking, almost always just front brake. In a panic stop maybe 10% rear after I'm already full on the front just to keep things settled. In the rain, still mostly front as the rear is much much easier to lock with the weight transfer.

These things have rear brakes?

OP, I tap my rear brake about once a month to get the rust off the rotor, after it gets wet. Learn to use and trust your front brakes, and leave more space. You're obviously riding too fast for the conditions and/or your skill level.

I use the rear when it's raining, or I'm running in the weeds at the track.

This guy seems to have good grip while breaking

broom%2Bdance.png

Now what...?
Well, dammit, I wasn't thinking that far ahead. ?
I'm so distraught right now that I want to brake something ?

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom