Rc 390! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rc 390!

I am going to wait till the show in Feb. Once I actually see it and sit on it, then I could make a choice. I need to sit on the thing before I can actually commit. If its not this I may just go into a dealership and buy something else new. Maybe an Indian Scout..

I am not going to ask you how do you choose between Indian Scout and RC390? This is like day and night and beyond .... but anyway, do not think it's a slam dunk that the bike will be at the Feb show. I would not be surprised at all if it was not even though you'd think it's a common sense it would ...

X2. At the risk of offending some ktm die hards or the forum encyclopedias, it's different and all but it's not for me.

I love you guys who are willing to NOT consider buying a bike because of headlights ... LOL ... hilarious .... aka I have 20K burning in my pocket, love the S1000R, but nope I can't do it, the bike is just plain ugly especially the front lights? Poor me, eh?

Last edited:
So is the bike "finally" doomed now, that the "substantiated" roomer about production move to China is out of the bag. Must be, right? LOL

So is the bike "finally" doomed now, that the "substantiated" roomer about production move to China is out of the bag. Must be, right? LOL

I have salivated about this bike since I first saw it launched. But the fact that it hasn't shown it's face here yet and the price point for a small cc bike that I would like for the track for 2015, all combines to mean that I likely will fill the space I was holding for 1 or 2 of theses 390s. Likely filled at a far lower cost with an older gen SV650.

Why the cost? Base + race readiness $ pushes it too high for a small cc bike for me.

You have made a perfectly sensible decision in my opinion considering the scenario presented to you by KTM Canada. Sadly, they don't care, they have proven it over and over .... this is not an interesting market for them and they treat it as such. Whether this justify how lackadaisical this organization is, is hard for me to do. But how do they plan to grow in Canada, if they consistently "under" perform is beyond me? Maybe growing the street segment is not what they are after in Canada? That would certainly explain things.

I have salivated about this bike since I first saw it launched. But the fact that it hasn't shown it's face here yet and the price point for a small cc bike that I would like for the track for 2015, all combines to mean that I likely will fill the space I was holding for 1 or 2 of theses 390s. Likely filled at a far lower cost with an older gen SV650.

Why the cost? Base + race readiness $ pushes it too high for a small cc bike for me.

And this is why you'll rarely if ever see higher-end small-CC bikes here, because apparently higher-spec or "race-spec" doesn't dent the armour of "sorry, low CC, go away" attitude that prevails. Honestly after reading this thread I think most people here wouldn't recognize a proper track bike under 600cc if it hit them in face, and wouldn't give a **** until it was bored out to twice the CC of their ego.

You pay for quality engineering and parts, which this bike has plenty of. Really, it's true. If you want a cheap bike for the track you'll quickly find the limits of (and therefore be disappointed in, and then slag low CC bikes for low-specs), go buy a older kwak 250 ninja and get what you complain about.

This will be a better track bike than your stock SV650 regardless of the SV's price. Not sure what you were salivating about, perhaps the idea that a manufacturer would produce a mid/high-spec low-cc track weapon for the same price as a regular low-cc rider-friendly street bike? Have some cake while you're at it.

Wow that is written like an idiot.

Outside of Fawaz, I would be willing to bet, that in Ontario I own more low cc race bikes than anyone.

Did you really get that impression from my post?

And this is why you'll rarely if ever see higher-end small-CC bikes here, because apparently higher-spec or "race-spec" doesn't dent the armour of "sorry, low CC, go away" attitude that prevails. Honestly after reading this thread I think most people here wouldn't recognize a proper track bike under 600cc if it hit them in face, and wouldn't give a **** until it was bored out to twice the CC of their ego.

You pay for quality engineering and parts, which this bike has plenty of. Really, it's true. If you want a cheap bike for the track you'll quickly find the limits of (and therefore be disappointed in, and then slag low CC bikes for low-specs), go buy a older kwak 250 ninja and get what you complain about.

This will be a better track bike than your stock SV650 regardless of the SV's price. Not sure what you were salivating about, perhaps the idea that a manufacturer would produce a mid/high-spec low-cc track weapon for the same price as a regular low-cc rider-friendly street bike? Have some cake while you're at it.

Last edited:
This is very nicely priced if you compare a KTM 350SX-F which goes for 10,199$.

I'm wondering if ktm has a passenger seat cowl out yet for this bike. Like the cup bike :)

The intent is that the tail section IS the passenger seat so that it looks like it doesn't have a passenger seat, even though it does!

Wow that is written like an idiot.
Outside of Fawaz, I would be willing to bet, that in Ontario I own more low cc race bikes than anyone.
Did you really get that impression from my post?

Written like an idiot? Alright, professor.

Yes, your post gave that impression because you were comparing a SV650 to an RC390, they're not even close to being the same sort of bike. You also happened to be the post I quoted to express my general disdain with the thread, so you weren't deserving of all the ire.

Pray tell, what pricepoint do you think this bike should have been offered at? I'm disappointed they didn't include a 2nd front brake disk, but other than that I feel it's a great offering. Higher-spec could easily nudge this bike near 5 figures.

Last edited:
I think the pricing is about where it needs to be.

Comparing a new bike to a used one in terms of pricing isn't reasonable. You can rescue an ancient Lincoln from the scrap heap for much, much cheaper than you could buy a new Nissan Micra for ... that doesn't necessarily mean it's a better deal.

Current-year beginner sports bike, price from low to high:

CBR300R - $4699
Yamaha R3 - $4999
CBR300RA - $5199
Ninja 300 - $5399
Ninja 300 ABS - $5799
Ninja 300SE ABS - $5999
KTM RC390 ABS - $6599

Last edited:
Well let's add some background to the conversation.

They would be for 2 teenagers. It is to be a stepping stone before a larger race bike.

Now given that, a small 300-400 cc bike as a step up from a 250 cc bike even before a SV650 is desirable.

However, when you compare the cost of the RC390 at its MSRP, plus freight and PDI (which really doesn't differ between any new RC390, R3, or Ninja), plus taxes, and any parts for making it race ready, the total price begins to climb rapidly.

I can tell from your prior posts that you know what PDI is. Go price the options on the list of small displacement bikes for a crate price. Everyone I have talked to moves. KTM? Nope. Same quoted price.

To add an Akrapovic end can to an R3 is about half the price as the Akrapovic for the RC390. (as I can only get it from KTM). At least from my searching.

Price out some parts since most people do eventually have a get off. The bin of spare parts for the KTM will be much higher. Just the end can alone let alone a throttle tube or triple adds up quickly.

In comparing the RC390 to just the R3, I see a premium on the RC390 of $2300 once I have the bike, with just a slip on. Without race bodywork, a different rear shock, and some spare parts. Just the bike and a slip on. Street bodywork still attached.

If I was looking to get 2 bikes. The gap grows bigger for me overall.

So we come to my conclusion. The RC390 is too much money for me. If I was to get such a class of bike, then I would look at the R3, or as I stated in my prior post a late model SV650.

Nowhere did I compare the RC390 to an SV650 other than in terms of my conclusion of my cost/benefit choice for me.

No where in my post did I offer up any opinion against low cc bikes and that I need a bigger cc bike cause the small cc bikes just aren't manly enough.

JustinRR, you are good at listing MSRP prices. Go shopping and tell us what the dealers are willing to move them at. That I have done. Its a far better comparison.

KTM dealers only want my deposit. They think that they will sell their alotment at MSRP. That's ok. Just won't be to me.

The SV650? Got one for under $2000. Hunting for another. Maybe I'll get another for the same price. Lots of spare parts available.

I like the RC390 as I said.

Why it turned for you into some small cc bash I have no idea. Why you think that it is the god of small cc bikes I don't get either. Heck, I have yet to be able to even sit on one.

To me it seemed like the best option for my kids, but I just can't convince myself the premium $ for it gives me anything that I can't get cheaper.

I even tried to see about the MotoAmerica version with all the bells and whistles added. But $9100 USF plus plus for the bike (that isn't even offered in Canada) was just too much. Heck I could own one but then I guess not have money to go pay entry fees or buy tires for it.

Written like an idiot? Alright, professor.

Yes, your post gave that impression because you were comparing a SV650 to an RC390, they're not even close to being the same sort of bike. You also happened to be the post I quoted to express my general disdain with the thread, so you weren't deserving of all the ire.

Pray tell, what pricepoint do you think this bike should have been offered at? I'm disappointed they didn't include a 2nd front brake disk, but other than that I feel it's a great offering. Higher-spec could easily nudge this bike near 5 figures.

For *your* situation, the used SV650 route appears to make more sense.

It's not the same bike, though.

The Yamaha R3 is certainly less expensive. No ABS. No inverted forks. If those are not of value to you ... and assuming you are comparing new versus new ... the R3 is a better deal.

I don't think it's priced outrageously in comparison to it's direct competition. I see all of the points bakaboy has made however and fully agree. They'll never move on the price, parts are more and aftermarket is also more. Add in the love/hate front end on the bike and you'll likely see more R3's on the road at least around here.

I forgot the part about KTM specifying bedsprings from recycled mattresses for the forks.

Lighten up, Francises! I can't understand people insulting each other over a not-yet-released motorcycle. We're living in a golden age of low displacement bikes: the R3, CBR300, Ninja 300, RC390 and the um...GW250.

I love you guys who are willing to NOT consider buying a bike because of headlights ... LOL ... hilarious .... aka I have 20K burning in my pocket, love the S1000R, but nope I can't do it, the bike is just plain ugly especially the front lights? Poor me, eh?

Without even entertaining an argument with you as I know it's pointless, there's more than the lights that would stop me from purchasing one. I'm not sure what or how you ride but do you go and purchase bikes that you don't like the appearance of? If you say anything other than no you're full of something. So the looks are a factor when buying.

However, when you compare the cost of the RC390 at its MSRP, plus freight and PDI (which really doesn't differ between any new RC390, R3, or Ninja), plus taxes, and any parts for making it race ready, the total price begins to climb rapidly.

In regards to racing it, the SV won't beat the cornering speed of the RC390, but just so you know.

Last edited:
baka, your logic makes no sense. It's like comparing a 650R ($8000) to a ZX6 ($14000). The ZX6 should be cheaper because the engine sizes are almost the same, right?

Back
Top Bottom