Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Review | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Review

Weight (more), weight distribution (worse), sometimes different brake hardware (no idea in this case if the Hemi uses the same brakes as the other models), sometimes different tires (again, no idea in this case), frequently different ABS and brake bias calibration because of the other factors, probably different front spring rates (the auto manufacturers have been select-fitting springs depending on vehicle options for decades), possibly different damping rates.

Did anyone else notice that the F150 was loaded 40% above its towing capacity (7000lb trailer) during the Motor Trend test? I'm sure that's good for it... It also has the shortest power train warranty. Hmmmmmmmm.

Seriously.....
F150 - 5000lb
Silverado - 9400lb
Ram - 8650lb

With that tow rating the F150 would be completely out of the question for my needs.

Did anyone else notice that the F150 was loaded 40% above its towing capacity (7000lb trailer) during the Motor Trend test? I'm sure that's good for it... It also has the shortest power train warranty. Hmmmmmmmm.

Seriously.....
F150 - 5000lb
Silverado - 9400lb
Ram - 8650lb

With that tow rating the F150 would be completely out of the question for my needs.

Pretty sure thats a typo on MT's part. It's 8500lbs max.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/can-the-ford-f-150-2-7-liter-really-tow/index.htm
http://blog.caranddriver.com/2015-f...ost-v-6-output-towing-announced-3-5l-v-6-too/

However you want to slice and dice it, still impressive considering that the Ford blown 2.7 engine is only slightly larger than that of a Dodge Dart.

Thought you guys might find this relevant. Was coming back from Blue Mountain on sunday and got stuck in 400 traffic due to snow plows. Peak speed no greater than 40 km/h stop-n-go. Was like that half way to TO. Got the best mileage I've ever seen the dash report since I've owned it: 12.5 L/100 kms (almost 19 MPG). Low RPMs obviously. But more than that I believe it's because the engine was never under boost. Given a constant velocity below 2500 RPM I think even better numbers could be achieved. Still a big caveat but at least I know it's possible to get half decent fuel economy in this thing.

Pretty sure thats a typo on MT's part. It's 8500lbs max.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/can-the-ford-f-150-2-7-liter-really-tow/index.htm
http://blog.caranddriver.com/2015-f...ost-v-6-output-towing-announced-3-5l-v-6-too/

However you want to slice and dice it, still impressive considering that the Ford blown 2.7 engine is only slightly larger than that of a Dodge Dart.

And Ford says its even higher.... odd. Where are these mags getting their numbers?

http://www.ford.ca/trucks/f150/specifications/

Thought you guys might find this relevant. Was coming back from Blue Mountain on sunday and got stuck in 400 traffic due to snow plows. Peak speed no greater than 40 km/h stop-n-go. Was like that half way to TO. Got the best mileage I've ever seen the dash report since I've owned it: 12.5 L/100 kms (almost 19 MPG). Low RPMs obviously. But more than that I believe it's because the engine was never under boost. Given a constant velocity below 2500 RPM I think even better numbers could be achieved. Still a big caveat but at least I know it's possible to get half decent fuel economy in this thing.
The best economy you can possibly get should be in the summer at a steady 75-80 km/h (or as slow as possible in top gear). Let us know.

The best economy you can possibly get should be in the summer at a steady 75-80 km/h (or as slow as possible in top gear). Let us know.

I drove from London to Chatham and back last weekend to buy an antique chainsaw. I took the back roads so I was cruising at a steady 90ish km/hr with a few slow downs while going through small towns. I filled my truck (05 Sierra Z71. Crew cab 4x4 5.3L) before and after. According to the trip meter and the pump at crappy tire I averaged 12.6L/100km over that trip. Ambient temps were -5C

when you get spanked by Ford, the cleverest solution the whizzes at Chrysler could come up with?

Gaudy, foot tall letters on the tailgate..... :lol:

EVMEKS7.jpg

when you get spanked by Ford, the cleverest solution the whizzes at Chrysler could come up with?

Gaudy, foot tall letters on the tailgate..... :lol:

EVMEKS7.jpg

And this is new how? The older fords said "FORD" across the entire tailgate in 10" letters stamped right in to the metal. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^

ok, ok, it's coool............ back in the 80's. :lol:

And your point is? You think they put a big chrome "RAM" on the tailgate because the Ford bested them in some testing? You actually think that???? You honestly, truthfully, really think that?

I could make a comment about the grill on the Raptor. What do you think the giant "FORD" signifies?

Are you on drugs?

And your point is? You think they put a big chrome "RAM" on the tailgate because the Ford bested them in some testing? You actually think that???? You honestly, truthfully, really think that?

I could make a comment about the grill on the Raptor. What do you think the giant "FORD" signifies?

Are you on drugs?

Fastest on road drags?

All of the pick-up truck manufacturers have been in a race to produce the biggest and most aggressive-looking trucks for the last several years. ALL of them.

The last-generation Ford F350 grille, for example ...

There's no need for having 22" wheels and a cab that you need a ladder (or a powered step!) to climb up into and bed sides that are so high that you can't even see over them, nevermind being able to toss something easily into the bed and reach in to pick it out again, and a loading floor that's so high it makes loading and unloading awkward. And they are ALL doing that. Most of these trucks could do with being lowered - by a lot.

One of the reasons I bought my (front-drive) ProMaster - aside from having inside, locked, (almost) out of view, out-of-the-weather bike storage! - was to get away from all that.

Even that one had unnecessarily high suspension (higher than the Fiat Ducato that it was made from). I had the rear suspension lowered 60mm to fix that and I wish I had taken a little off the bump stops and lowered it even further ...

Are you on drugs?

He just talked about who got spanked and who's cool. How mature of an discussion do you expect from him?

because HONDA has never badged something big enough in the rear either. Just so you know you're stuck behind some pos crv :rolleyes:

115914d1269197496-official-h-t-crv-thread-cr-veurorearbumper.jpg

So I sat in a Transit (full size, not Connect) at the Toronto Auto Show today.

The driving position and the instrument panel are car-like. One criticism of the ProMaster (a.k.a. Fiat Ducato) is its upright seating position, which some people can't get used to. (It took me a little while to get used to it, but I did Deals Gap to home in one shot with only fuel and food stops, so it's comfortable enough after you get used to it.)

But holy moly is the Transit ever expensive. It's M-B money for a Ford. MSRP without tax was thousands more than what I paid out the door. Granted, this Ford was the diesel ($6000 extra), but even without that, MSRP would have been more than what my out-the-door was by a couple grand.

And the load floor is several inches higher due to the rear axle drive. The Ducato doesn't have that extra step inside the door that every other van has, including the Transit and the Sprinter. It's just flat. Easier to get stuff in and out of.

The new Chevy Colorado is a really nice looking truck. But it doesn't fix the complaint that I have about every modern pickup ... Too high!

Jeep Renegade. Interesting, but fail. Worlds most visibility-blocking A-pillar. Its platform-mate, the new Fiat 500X, seems better.

Chrysler 200. Very nice looking. But the A-pillar feels like it is right at my forehead because of the swoopy roofline.

Corvette ... Awesome. NSX ... Awesome but don't even think about the price tag. If I had $70 grand to spend on a car (fail) and had a surplus of garage space (fail), it would be the Alfa 4C. It's stunning.

On a more real-world "what should the next company car be" ... (basic criteria: cheap, small, A/C, cruise, bluetooth)
Mitsubishi Mirage, Out. Penalty box.
Nissan Micra, Out. Penalty box.
Honda Fit, Very practical, seems built decently, possible to carry adults in back if needed, I don't mind it. But ...
Fiat 500, like it a lot, back seat is out of the question and might as well not be there.
Ford Fiesta ST, great seats, supposed to be very fun, adults can't fit in the back and the back seat won't fold flat.
Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost, not like the ST but still pretty good, adults can't fit in the back and the back seat won't fold flat. The Fiesta is starting to show its age.
Chevrolet Sonic RS hatch, this was the surprise of the bunch. Adults will fit in it, even in back. Seats fold flat - cheating, the trunk has a false floor in it - but you can lift up that false floor and shove more stuff underneath it and THEN have the flat floor.

^^ Never mind, talk to us about the..... RAM. with the cool new tail gate lettering, all it needs is set of chrome oversize dangling nutsack balls on the hitch, and you are ready to roll.....

Back
Top Bottom