Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Review | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Review

Well this thread is easily a great place to find knowledge about the Ram Eco Diesel. Which is what the OP was asking about.

As I mentioned above, PM me in a few months.

Well this thread is easily a great place to find knowledge about the Ram Eco Diesel. Which is what the OP was asking about.

As I mentioned above, PM me in a few months.

It does tell people what not to purchase....an Ecoboost...lol

It does tell people what not to purchase....an Ecoboost...lol

I wouldn't go that far. To be fair a lot of folks over at F150Forum.com have gotten better mileage than me. The motor itself is awesome and I have no regrets.

I don't read a lot of car mags, and consumer reviews. I have never had my ram 2500 5.9 cummins to a trackday or skid pad. My experience is this 2003 dodge ram 2wd 4.7l v8, 134l tank of 87, averaged 550km to a tank. 2005 dodge ram2500hd 5.9l 2wd, 134l tank avg 1000km/tank, 1200 straight hwy. the mileage does not change noticeable no matter what I tow, plus the cummins will last a million miles. Try that that with a highly stressed, turbo v6.
Everything has to be taken with a grain of salt, my dad had a f150 with a 4.2v6 owned outright, sold it and bought a Toyota Tacoma i4, fuel savings negated by new truck payment, and now he borrows my diesel because he can't tow his pop-up tent trailer with the Toyota. Duh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not a million miles.

You can't win this argument or any argument with him. Blackberry, honda and anything else he likes rules and the rest is pure ****, especially the new corvette :rolleyes:

Paper arguments don't mean much anyway, IMO. Everyone I know lives and works in the real world, pulling real trailers, real sleds, tools, cars etc. In my experience, a v6 in a full size truck gets worse economy under load than a v8, simply because it's working harder and revving higher. All my trucks have come home from the dealer and been loaded to the brim from day one. My last purchase I knew I wanted a diesel, bought a ram because I wanted a cummins, I've gotten pretty good at front end work as a result. ;)

Paper arguments don't mean much anyway, IMO. Everyone I know lives and works in the real world, pulling real trailers, real sleds, tools, cars etc. In my experience, a v6 in a full size truck gets worse economy under load than a v8, simply because it's working harder and revving higher. All my trucks have come home from the dealer and been loaded to the brim from day one. My last purchase I knew I wanted a diesel, bought a ram because I wanted a cummins, I've gotten pretty good at front end work as a result. ;)

The question still remains, how much of the truck's duty time will be spent hauling heavy loads or trailers. Most trucks purchased for non-commercial use tend to be run empty much or most of the time, and that makes a purchasing a big diesel overkill for that kind of use.

As long as the truck is rated to tow the heaviest load you occasionally plan on towing, and if your heavy-load hauling frequency is low, there is an argument to be had in purchasing a small displacement engine with turbo-assist available on demand for those few occasions when you really need the extra power.

Sure, you suffer in fuel economy on those occasions when you are under heavy tow, but you gain on the other hand when not under tow and you also avoid the heavy price tag in purchase and maintenance that comes with the big diesels. I say this as a big diesel owner myself.

The question still remains, how much of the truck's duty time will be spent hauling heavy loads or trailers. Most trucks purchased for non-commercial use tend to be run empty much or most of the time, and that makes a purchasing a big diesel overkill for that kind of use.

As long as the truck is rated to tow the heaviest load you occasionally plan on towing, and if your heavy-load hauling frequency is low, there is an argument to be had in purchasing a small displacement engine with turbo-assist available on demand for those few occasions when you really need the extra power.

Sure, you suffer in fuel economy on those occasions when you are under heavy tow, but you gain on the other hand when not under tow and you also avoid the heavy price tag in purchase and maintenance that comes with the big diesels. I say this as a big diesel owner myself.

I agree completely. When I bought my ram 2500, I was a self employed sub contractor, the truck was full of tools and I pulled a loaded trailer daily. I travelled all over Ontario. I now commute daily in an empty ram 2500, it's good on fuel for what it is, but it's not recommended. I also find it needs regular heavy hauls, otherwise it carbons up from such light throttle use. It's pretty hard to just simulate a heavy load on a diesel...

Lol. Did you just put a link to highly prepped race engines that probably have nothing but the block left from factory to an everyday bean counter assembled ecoboost? An engine that costs as much as a few f150s in intself, has to last one day before being fully rebuilt? Which has no emission equipment (what causes biggest headaches to engine longevity now-a-days).

You're more delusional than I thought.

I bring up up emissions because by far the biggest issue with Diesel engines is not the engine itself but the filters, egr, crankcase recirculating system etc that are the real problem behind diesel longetivity and reliability.

highly stressed turbo V6s running 24 hrs a day straight are doing just fine, thanks!.....

http://www.chipganassiracing.com/Ne...-Wins-Logs-15000-Race-Miles.aspx#.VM0MucY-BE4

Last edited:
Lol. Did you just put a link to highly prepped race engines that probably have nothing but the block left from factory to an everyday bean counter assembled ecoboost? An engine that costs as much as a few f150s in intself, has to last one day before being fully rebuilt? Which has no emission equipment (what causes biggest headaches to engine longevity now-a-days).

You're more delusional than I thought.

I bring up up emissions because by far the biggest issue with Diesel engines is not the engine itself but the filters, egr, crankcase recirculating system etc that are the real problem behind diesel longetivity and reliability.
And if you read the article before assembling you rambling knee-jerk edited response, you would have learned that these 'highly prepped' race engines are 70 percent stock production.

Sent from my Passport

And if you read the article before assembling you rambling knee-jerk edited response, you would have learned that these 'highly prepped' race engines are 70 percent stock production.

Sent from my Passport

Of course it would benefit them to say that but we're smarter. 70% is production based. So it's based on production. It's not even production. I don't see how 15,000 miles in 11 races equals 1 million road miles. I guess you need to be a gearhead. Did not read article. Am towing party line.

Last edited:
I read the article, its a Roush Yates prepped engine, 70% is production parts, its the 30% potential problem parts that get thrown over the fence. Indeed its an ecoboost, FORD needs it that way, but it has as much in common with my F150 engine as the space shuttle.

I don't even think the space shuttle uses internal combustion engines.

The 30% that aren't "production" parts are the 30% that make the difference.

NASCAR engines started out as "production" engines, too. Yeah right.

It's basically irrelevant. The daily world of cold starts, idling, freeze and thaw, puttering around at part load, running hot when stuck in traffic jams, forgotten oil changes, oil changes done by the high school flunkie who doesn't read the specification sheet and uses the wrong oil, cheapskate owner who fills the fuel tank with the cheapest crap available, etc impose stresses that the race engine won't see ...

Back
Top Bottom